Department of Dental Hygiene, Graduate School of Namseoul University1
Department of Dental Hygiene, Namseoul University2
Objectives: This study explored job satisfaction experience and meaning of work in dental hygienists. Methods: In-depth interviews were conducted with 13 clinical dental hygienists who had been working in dental clinics for more than 10 years. The analysis method used was developed by Giorgi, including all four steps. Results: The results of the interview were categorized into five central meanings: recognition and trust (including patient’s trust, trust in the boss, recognition in the hospital, and intimacy), growth (growth of the hospital, growth in jobs, and problem-solving skills), professional pride (self-esteem, extension of work and changes of awareness, and being able to help others), reward (financial compensation and psychological rewards), and meaning of life given by work (the process of maturing, self-representation, and vitality of life). Conclusions: Based on this study, we need to develop tools to measure dental hygienists’ level of job satisfaction as well as follow-up research on ways to improve it.
1. Ryu GS, Jin H, Yea GE, Kim MJ, Seo EJ. A study on the well-being of worker. Seoul: Samsung Economic Research Institute; 2013: 20-31.
2. Locke EA. What is job satisfaction? Organ Behav Hum Decis Process 1969;4(4):309-36. https://doi.org/10.1016/0030-5073(69)90013-0
3. Kim JH, Han SJ. The effect of self-leadership on organizational effectiveness and job performance in dental hygienist. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2016;16(6):1079-92. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2016.16.06.1079
4. Herzberg F, Mausner B, Synderman BB. The motivation to work. 2nd ed. John Wiley. New York: John Wiley amp; Sons, Inc; 1959: 1-180.
5. Steger MF, Duffy RD, Dick BJ. Measuring meaningful work: The work and meaning inventory (WAMI). J Career Assess 2012;20(3):322-37. https://doi.org/10.1177/1069072711436160
6. Kang SG, Lee GD, Lee CH, Choo H. Organizational behavior. Seoul: Hyungseul; 2014: 1-736.
7. Bauman CW, Skitka LJ. Corporate social responsibility as a source of employee satisfaction. Res Organ Behav 2012;32:63-86. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.riob.2012.11.002
8. Tak JH, Seo HJ, Won YJ, Sim HJ. A test of construct validity of the work meaning inventory : based on employees. Korea J Ind Organ Psycho 2017;30(3):357-72. https://doi.org/10.24230/kjiop.v30i3.357-372
9. Min HH, Kim YS. Factors influencing turnover intention in new dental hygienists. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2016;16(6):1047-55. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2016.16.06.1047
10. Lee BH, Kim JS. Analysis of the correlation of burnout, job satisfaction and turnover of dental hygienists. Jour of KoCon a 2010;10(11):217-27. https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2010.10.11.217
11. Lee SS. Professionalism and job satisfaction in dental hygienists. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2013;13(4):535-42. https://doi.org/10.13065/iksdh.2013.13.4.535
12. Park YN, Choi YK, Ryu DY. Influence of organizational communication satisfaction on job satisfaction, organizational commitment, and turnover intention : focused on the mediated effects of interpersonal stress. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2015;15(5):797-804. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2015.15.05.797
13. Lim SR, Park JH. A systematic literature review on job satisfaction of dental hygienist. JCIT 2019;9(1):123-35. https://doi.org/10.22156/CS4SMB.2019.9.1.123
14. Benner P. From novice to expert excellence and power in clinical nursing practice. Addison-Wesley Publishing Company: California; 1984: 307.
15. Giorgi A. The theory, practice, and evaluation of the phenomenological method as a qualitative research procedure. J Phenomen Psycho 1997;28(2):235-60. https://doi.org/10.1163/156916297X00103
16. Lincoln YS, Guba EG. Naturalistic inquiry. Beverly Hills: Sage Publications Inc; 1985: 300.
17. Park MR, Lee JH. Factors affecting the job satisfaction of the dental hygienists working in dental clinics or dental hospitals in Busan, Gyeongnam, and Gyeongbuk. J Korean Acad Oral Health 2016;40(3):190-7. https://doi.org/10.11149/jkaoh.2016.40.3.190
18. Reynolds LG, Shister J. Job horizons : A study of job satisfaction and labor mobility. Harper: New York; 1949: 1-102.
19. Kwon JY. Lee SY. Relationship of between task performance, job satisfaction, and organizational contribution of dental hygienists. J Dent Hyg Sci 2016;16(4):302-9. https://doi.org//10.17135/jdhs.2016.16.4.302
20. Lee SS. Professionalism and job satisfaction in dental hygienists. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2013;13(3):535-42. https://doi.org/10.13065/iksdh.2013.13.4.535
21. Lee BY, Kang SR, Kim HO. Experience of job satisfaction in clinical nurses : application of focus group methodology. J Korean Acad Nurs 2007;37(1):114-24. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2007.37.1.114
22. Jacques I, Patrice R. A study of the relationships between compensation package, work motivation and job satisfaction. J Organ Behav 1999;20(7):1003–25. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1099-1379(199912)20:7lt;1003::AID-JOB941gt;3.0.CO;2-K
23. Ryu HG. Relationship between happiness and job satisfaction of dental hygienists. J Dent Hyg Sci 2017;17(2):168-74. https://doi.org/10.17135/jdhs.2017.17.2.168