Department of Dental Hygiene, Shin-han University1
Objectives: The purpose of this study was to investigate the present conditions and problems of oral health care in senior citizens with dementia using a qualitative research method, through focused group interviews. Methods: Data was collected for approximately one month from May 2019. The subjects were divided into two groups: care workers and family caregivers. Fifteen participants were included in the study. Results: In-depth interviews with the care workers revealed the following three categories: characteristics of senile dementia patients, oral health care in senile dementia patients, and oral health care education. In-depth interviews with the family caregivers revealed the following four categories: characteristics of senile dementia patients, oral health care in senile dementia patients, oral health care education, and burden of care. The central themes common to both the care workers and family caregivers were the challenges owing to the characteristics of senile dementia patients, poor health condition of the senile dementia patients, difficulty in oral health care of the senile dementia patients, the desire to receive oral health care education and related information, and to access the information more easily. Additional central themes specific to the care workers were, the applicability of the intervention programs, variability between the facilities, and the problems of oral health care education. An additional central theme specific to the family caregivers was the burden of care. Conclusions: It is necessary to provide oral health care education and information to care workers and family caregivers of senile dementia patients, and to manage and support the dental health professionals ready to care for senile dementia patients. In addition, support to the family caregivers should not be limited only to the financial aspects, but also consider the psychological and emotional difficulties.
1. Lee JE, Jang YJ. A comparative study of factors affecting adolescents’' attitudes towards dementia. Health Soc Welfare Rev 2016;36(1):233-60. https://doi.org/10.15709/hswr.2016.36.1.233
2. Lee HJ. Care giving experience and adaptation process of the husbands who are caring for wives with Alzheimer-focusing on elderly couple household". J Korean Geront Soc 2006;26(1):45-62.
3. Kim JK, Chong BH. Effect of physical activity of patient with dementia. J Soc Occup Ther Aged Dement 2007;1(2):70-9.
4. http://www.mohw.go.kr. The prevalence rate of dementia in 2012 is 9.18%, the number of patients with dementia is doubled every 20 years[Internet]. Ministry of Health and Welfare.[cited 2019 June 16]. Available from: https://www.mohw.go.kr/front_new/al/sal0301vw.jsp?PAR_MENU_ID=04&MENU_ID=0403&CONT_SEQ=286138.
5. Kim HJ, Moon SY, Kim SY, Han SH. Assessment of the quality of life in patients with Alzheimer's disease. J Korean Neurol Assoc 2008;26(4):308-13. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2015.15.02.217
6. Kim SB. A study of healthcare & social welfare workers' dementia literacy[Master’ thesis]. Seoul: Univ. of Kyunghee, 2018.
7. Norton S, Matthews FE, Barnes DE, Yaffe K, Brayne C. Potential for primary prevention of Alzheimer’s disease: an analysis of population-based data. Lancet Neurol 2014;13:788-94. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1474-4422(14)70136-X
8. Kang JH. The factors influencing dementia using national health insurance claims data[Master’s thesis]. Seoul: Univ. of Yonsei, 2013.
9. Saito S, Ohi T, Murakami T, Komiyama T, Miyoshi Y, Endo K, et al. Association between tooth loss and cognitive impairment in community-dwelling older Japanese adults: a 4-year prospective cohort study from the Ohasama study. BMC Oral Health 2018;18:142
10. Martande SS, Pradeep AR, Singh SP, Kumari M, Suke DK, Raju AP, et al. Periodontal health condition in patients with Alzheimer’s disease. Am J Alzheimers Dis Other Demen 2014;29(6):498-502. https://doi.org/10.1177/1533317514549650
11. Cho MJ, Park DO, Song KB. Influence of denture wearing on a mini-mental state examination (MMSE-K) in the elderly. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2016:16(2):295-301. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2016.16.02.295
12. Kwak JS, Woo SH, Lee JR. Recognition towards oral health care and plaque removal in the elderly people. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2015;15:727-33. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2015.15.04.727
13. Kim KW, Yoon HJ, Kim MR, Lee HK, Lee KS. Effects of oral hygiene improvement of the elderly patients by caregiver's in rural long-term care hospital. J Agri Med & Community Health 2010;35(1):13-20.
14. Kim GH, Kwon YS. A study on oral health perception and oral health-related quality of life of the elderly patients in a geriatric hospital. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2016;16(3):363-71. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2016.16.03.363
15. Kim GU, Kim JH. A study on the knowledge and awareness of care workers on the geriatric oral health. J Korean Cont Soc 2015;6(6):9-15. https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2015.6.06.9.
16. Kim MY, Kang KH. Status of oral health care provided by care workers in accordance with their oral health awareness and knowledge. J Korean Cont Soc 2016;7(6):161-6. https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2016.7.06.161
17. Kim YH, Lee SH, Yun HK. A study on recuperation nurses' oral health knowledge and perceptions, and senile denture management behavior in Andong City. Korean J Heal Serv Manag 2014;8(4):69-80. https://doi.org/10.12811/kshsm.2014.8.4.069
18. Lee KH, Choi YY, Jung ES. Oral care status and elderly oral health knowledge of care workers and caregivers with regard to patients with dementia. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2019;19(1):79-91.
19. Guba EG, Lincoln YS. Effective evaluation. 1st ed. Sanfrancisco: Jossey-Bass Publishers; 1981: 210-5.
20. Kathleen B. Art therapy with geriatric dementia clients. Art Ther 1997;14(3):194-9. https://doi.org/10.1080/07421656.1987.10759281
21. Wu B, Plassman BL, Crout RJ, Liang J. Cognitive function and oral health among community-dwelling older adults. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 2008;63:495-500.
22. Joen HS, Han SY, Chung WG, Choi JH. Knowledge, attitude and behavior status on oral health care of geriatric care workers in long-term care facilities. J Dent Hyg Sci 2015;15(5):569-76. https://doi.org/10.17135/jdhs.2015.15.05.569
23. Beerens HC, Zwakhalen SM, Verbeek H, Tan FES, Jolani S, Downs M, et al. The relation between mood, activity, and interaction in long-term dementia care. Aging Ment Health 2016;13(9):1-7.
24. Kim KM, Park YN, Lee MK, Lee JH, Yoon HS, Jin HJ, et al. Oral health knowledge level on oral care and elder oral hygiene care of the nursing home staff in long-term care facilities. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2014;14(5):723-30.