Korea Dental Hospital1
Department of Dental Hygiene, Daejeon Health Institute of Technology2
Objectives: The aim of this study was to examine the factors influencing empowerment among clinical dental hygienists. Through this study, we suggested to increase the empowerment and find concrete ways to increase the motivation and performance of individuals and organizations. Methods: A self-reported questionnaire was filled out by 202 dental hygienists of clinic from November 8 to December 10, 2018. Data were analyzed using SPSS 20.0. Independent t-test, one-way ANOVA, Scheffe’s post-hoc test, and Pearson correlation coefficients were reviewed, and a multiple regression analysis was conducted. Results: Dental hygienists scored 3.33 points on empowerment. The variables that influenced clinical empowerment were job satisfaction, career, monthly income, and preventive treatment. These factors explained 32.3% of the variance in dental clinic hygienists. Conclusions: To enhance the performance of individuals and organizations through increased empowerment, dental hygienists need support to perform more diverse roles, such as providing preventive measures and oral health education, to enhance their professional self-concept and autonomy.
1. Ro HL, Kang JS. Affects of social capital in institutions on physical therapists' burnout. Journal of the Korean Data Analysis Society 2014;16(1):417-29.
2. Roh HL, Ku KY. Comparison of job characteristics and empowerment of dental hygienists according to hospital type. JK Clinical Health Sci 2017;5(3):897-906. https:// doi.org/10.15205/kschs.2017.09.30.897
3. Jeon, JH, Yom YH. Roles of empowerment and emotional intelligence in the relationship between job embeddedness and turnover intension among general hospital nurses. J Korean Acad Nurs Adm 2014;20(3):302-2. https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2014.20.3.302
4. Ministry of Health and Welfare. sealant[Internet]. [cited 2012 Aug 16]. http://www.mohw.go.kr/react/al/sal0301vw.jsp?PAR_MENU_ID=04&MENU_ID=0403&BOARD _ID=140&BOARD_FLAG=00&CONT_SEQ=274572&page=1
5. Ministry of Health and Welfare. scaling[Internet]. [cited 2013 July 13]. http://www.mohw.go.kr/react/al/sal0301vw.jsp?PAR_MENU_ID=04&MENU_ID=0403&BOARD _ID=140&BOARD_FLAG=00&CONT_SEQ=286513&page=1
6. Kim KS, Yu MS. A study of the relation between the professional self-concept and the practice performance as dental hygienist. J Dent Hyg Sci 2004;4(3):11-5.
7. So MH, Kim SS. The effects of behavior of preventive treatment on job satisfaction in dental hygienist. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2011;11(6):951-9.
8. Handler GF. The relationship of nursing work environment to empowerment and powerlessness[Doctoral dissertation]. Salt Lake City: Univ. of Utah, 1986.
9. Lee HK. Correlation between the self-concept of clinical dental hygiene professionals and organizational socialization. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2017;17(2):259-69.
10. Kim HJ, Lee SJ, Ko HJ. The relationship between autonomy and decision-making ability in clinical dental hygienists. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2013;13(6):925-32. https:// doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2013.13.06.925
11. Noh EM, Jeon ES, Ko HJ. The effects of dental hygienists’ LMX (Leader-Member Exchange) and empowerment on organizational performance. J Dent Hyg Sci 2015;15(5):650-8. https://doi.org/10.17135/jdhs.2015.15.5.650
12. Kanter RM. Power failure in management circle. Harvard Business Review 1979; 57(4):65-75.
13. An EG, Park JM. The influence of professional self-concept on empowerment and burnout of paramedics. Korean J Emerg Med Ser 2014;18(2):59-71.
14. Laschinger HKS, Havens DS. Staff nurse work empowerment and perceived control over nursing practice, conditions for work effectiveness. J Nurs Admin 1996;26:27-35.
15. Lee HK, Kim MJ, Yim YS. Dental hygienist, the relationship between empowerment and organizational commitment. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2010;10(4):645-54.
16. Cohen J. Statistical power analysis for the behavioral sciences. 2nd ed. Hillsdale, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates; 1988: 407-14.
17. Arthur D. Measurement of the professional self-concept of nurses: developing a measurement instrument. Nurse Education Today 1995;15(5):328-35.
18. Noh CH, Sohng KY. Survey on the relationship self-esteem and professional self-concept of nurses. J Korean Acad Fund Nurs 1997;4(1):61-71.
19. Dempster JS. Autonomy in practice: conceptualization, construction, and psycholometric evaluation of an empirical instrument. Dissertation Abstract Intermational 1990;50(7):1-269.
20. Kim EJ. Autonomy, role conflict and professional self concept of advanced practice nurse[Mater’s thesis]. Pusan: Univ. of Pusan National, 2015.
21. Jeon JH, Yom YH. Roles of empowerment and emotional intelligence in the relationship between job embeddedness and turnover intension among general hospital nurses. J Korean Acad Nurs Adm 2014;20(3):302-12.
22. Min HH. The relationships among professional self-concept, self-esteem and job satisfaction in the clinical dental hygienists. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2018;18(1):55-63. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2018.18.01.55
23. Min HH, Yun MH, Ahn KS. Factors influencing the organizational citizenship behaviors in clinical dental hygienists. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2018;18(2):165-75.
24. Park SH. Impact of nursing professional self-concept, clinical decision making ability, critical thinking disposition, professional autonomy of clinical nurse’s. J Korea Enter Indus Assoc 2015;9(4):325-34.