Department of Dental Hygiene, Daejeon Health Institute of Technology1
Objectives: This research aimed to identify the influential factors that affect the satisfaction of dental hygiene students' clinical training between college and university and contribute to improvement in clinical practice quality. Methods: A self-reported questionnaire was completed by 210 dental clinical hygienists from June 10 to August 30, 2018. Data were analyzed using SPSS 22.0. An independent t-test, one-way ANOVA, Scheffe’s post-hoc test, and Pearson’s correlation coefficient were employed, and a stepwise multiple regression analysis was performed. Results: Regarding the influential factors of satisfaction with clinical practice among dental hygiene students, in the case of college students, dental hygienist practice instructor dummy, self-efficacy, satisfaction of school life, interpersonal relation was the increasing order. In the case of university students, dental hygienist practice instructors, subjective health, satisfaction with school life, and interpersonal relations was the increasing order. Conclusions: The most influential factor of dental hygiene students’ clinical practice satisfaction between college and university was the ability to form interpersonal relationships. Therefore, to increase the satisfaction of dental hygiene students with clinical practice between college and university, external sources and efforts to emphasize internal sources are required.
1. Han SJ. A study on relationship between empowerment and satisfaction of clinical practice in nursing students. J Korean Acad Soc Nurs Educ 2000;6(1):132-46.
2. Kim IS, Jang YK, Park SH, Song SH. Critical thinking disposition, stress of clinical practice and clinical competence of nursing students. J Korean Acad Sco Nurs Edu 2011;17(3):337-45.
3. Sung MS, Jeong GH, Jang HJ. Development of clinical evaluation tool for nursing students. Korean Acad Soc Nurs Educ 1988;4(2):172-86.
4. Korean dental hygienists association. Introduction to KDHA, Related Sites[Internet]. Korean dental hygienists association.[cited 2019 Jan 15]. Available from: http:// www.kdha.or.kr /introduce/relatedsite.aspx.
5. Won BY, Jang GW, Hwang MY, Jang JH. Analysis on the current status of clinical practice and training in dental hygiene students. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2016;(6):993-1007.
6. Gu HJ. A study on the relationship between perceived family support and satisfaction of clinical practice by nursing students. J Korean Acad Soc Nurs Educ 2008;14(2):205-15.
7. Jeong MK, Lee JY. Relationship of satisfaction with major and clinical practice among some dental hygiene students. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2012;12(6):1241-9.
8. Min HH, Kim HJ, Lee HJ. The effect of ego-resilience, family support and teaching effectiveness on clinical practice satisfaction of dental hygiene students. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2018;18(3):411-21.
9. Won BY, Jang GW, Hwang MY, Kim SA, Oh SH, Lee KH, et al. Current conditions of dental hygiene clinical training J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2019;19(1):19-31. 10.13065/jksdh.20190012
10. Sung MH. Correlations between motivation to achieve, clinical competency and satisfaction in clinical practice for diploma and baccalaureate nursing students. J Korean Acad Fundam Nurs 2010;17(1):90-8.
11. Koo HY, Im HS. Comparison of factors influencing satisfaction of clinical practice between associate and bachelor nursing students. J Kor Contents Assoc 2013;13(1):311-21.
12. Whang SJ. The relationship between clinical stress, self-efficacy, and self-esteem of nursing college students. J Korean Acad Soc Nurs Edu 2006;12(2):205-13.
13. Bandura A. Self-efficacy toward a unifying theory of behavioral change. Psychol Rev 1977;84(2):119-215.
14. Hwang SS. A study on the effect of MBTI(Myers and Briggs Type Indicator) basic program on the interpersonal relationship between nursing science major students and their cohesion. J Korean Public Health Nurs 2004;18(1):61-73.
15. Kim SG, Koo YK, Jeong MA. Satisfaction with major and view of profession among dental hygiene students. J Kor Contents Assoc 2012;12(8):248-55.
16. Park JH, Song HJ, Lee BY. The influences of ethical propensity, self-esteem and clinical satisfaction on major satisfaction in dental hygiene students. J Kor Conv Soc 2018;9(6):261-9. https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2018.9.6.261
17. Cohen J. Statistical power analysis for the behavioral sciences. 2’nd ed. Hillsdale, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates; 1988: 407-14.
18. Sherer M, Maddux JE, Mercandante B, Prentice-Dunn S, Jacobs B, Rogers RW. The self-efficacy scale: construction & validation. Psychol Rep 1982;51(2):663-71.
19. Hong HY. Relationship of perfectionism, self-efficacy and depression[Master’s thesis]. Seoul: Univ. of Ewha Woman, 1995.
20. Chang HS, Choi BY. The effect of adolescent's background, family self-esteem, interpersonal relations disposition on etiquette implementation. J Korean Fam Resour Manage Assoc 2009;13(2):23-41.
21. Ha HS. A thesis for the degree of master of education, depression[Master’s thesis]. Seoul: Univ. of Seoul National, 2000.
22. Lee SH, Kim SY, Kim JA. Nursing students’ image of nurse and satisfaction with clinical practice. J Korean Acad Nurs Admin 2004;10(2):219-31.
23. Lim MH, Ku IY, Choi HS. A study on the relationship of self-efficacy to stressors and stress adaptation in dental hygiene students. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2011;11(5):811-22.
24. Kim DJ, Lee JS. Influence of ego-resilience and self-efficacy on satisfaction in major of nursing student. J Korean Acad Soc Nurs Educ 2014;20(2):244-54. https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2014.20.2.244
25. So MH, Cho YY. Relations between interpersonal ability, social support, and clinical practice satisfaction of some dental hygiene students in gyeonggi province. J Korean Soc School Commun Health Educ 2016;17(3):117-29.