Department of Dental Hygiene, Kyungwoon University1
Department of Dental Hygiene, Kyungbok University2
Objectives: This study aimed to investigate the effects of the amount and duration of smoking on gingival symptoms in adolescents. Methods: We used the web-based survey data of youth health behaviors from 2016 conducted by the Korean Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. The subjects of the study were 67,983 middle and high school students. Data analysis was performed using the SPSS Ver 20.0 program, and complex sample multivariate logistic regression analysis was performed to analyze gingival symptoms according to short- or long-term smoking habits. Results: In subjects with short-term smoking habits, there was no significant difference in gingival symptoms according to the smoking amount. However, after adjusting for socioeconomic characteristics and oral health behaviors in subjects with long-term smoking habits, a heavy smoking amount (≥0.52 PY) had a 1.25 times higher effect than a light smoking amount (<0.52 PY) on gingival symptoms. Long-term heavy smoking (≥0.52 PY) and low daily tooth-brushing frequency in high school students were factors affecting gingival symptoms. Conclusions: When conducting a project on the oral health of adolescents, it is argued that specific investigations and measures should be set up regarding health behavior factors, such as the amount and duration of smoking among adolescents.
1. Choi YH, Jee YJ. Study of necessity of teenagers` drinking, mouth knowledge estimation by smoking and dental health education. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2008;8(3):85-98.
2. Jin HJ. Frequency of daily tooth brushing among Korean adolescents, 2008-2010:the Korea youth risk behavior web-based survey. J Korean Acad-Indust Coop Soc 2013;14(5):2244-50. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2013.14.5.2244
3. Gwon SH, Jeong SY. Factors influencing adolescent lifetime smoking and current smoking in south Korea: using data from the 10th (2014) Korea youth risk behavior web-based survey. J Korean Acad Nurs 2016;46(4):552-61. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2016.46.4.552
4. Ministry of Health and Welfare. The 14th Korea youth risk behavior web-based survey 2018 [Internet]. [cited 2019 May 01]. Available from: http://yhs.cdc.go.kr.
5. Park SH, Kang JH, Chun JS, Oh HJ. A longitudinal comparative study of mental health between adolescent smokers and adolescent nonsmokers. Journal of Adolescent Welfare 2010;12(2):75-94
6. Han GS, Kim YS, Kang JK, Hwang YS, Han DH, Bae KH. Dental hygiene and dental education: relation of smoking and periodontal status among 30s-50s adults in metropolitan area. J Korean Acad Dent Health 2008;32(2):20-60.
7. Kim HJ, Shin SJ. The study of oral health perception, oral health behavioral and family smoking status according to smoking experience in a part of high school students. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2011;11(5):695-706.
8. Masood M, Masood Y, Md Sabri BA, Younis LT, Yusof N, Reidpath D, et al. Within-family discussion on harmful effects of smoking and intention to initiate smoking among european adolescents. J Addict Med 2015;9(4):261-5. https://doi.org/10.1097/ADM.0000000000000127
9. Chae JH, Choi YH. Influencing factors on nicotine dependency of smoking in middle school students. J Korean Acad-Indust Coop Soc 2015:16:2109-16. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.3.2109
10. Kim MS, Kang HS, Cho KJ. Factors influencing health-promotion behavior in adolescents. J Korean Acad Child Health Nusr 2004;10(4):495-503.
11. Lee SJ, Jang JH. The relationship between knowledge, attitude of periodontal diseases and dental health behavior in adolescents. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2012;12(4):817-25.
12. Do KY. Impact of health risk factors on the oral health of Korean adolescents: Korea youth risk behavior web-based survey, 2013. J Dent Hyg Sci 2016;16(3):193-9.  Jang KA. . J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2009;9(4):1-12.
13. Jang KA. School loss due to oral disease and the related factors for a middle schools and high schools in Busan, Gyeongnam province. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2009;9(4):1-12.
14. Jin HJ, Choi YH, Lee SG, Song KB, Lee HK, Kwon HJ, et al. Relationship between metabolic syndrome and gingival health among Korean adolescents. J Korean Acad Oral Health 2010;34(4):628-35.
15. Lim CY, Oh HW. The relationship between oral health behaviors and periodontal health status of Korean adolescents. J Korean Acad Oral Health 2013;32(2):65-72. https://doi.org/10.11149/jkaoh.2013.37.2.65
16. Sheiham A, Nicolau B. Evaluation of social and psychological factors in periodontal disease. Periodontology 2000;39(1):118-31. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0757.2005.00115.x
17. Lee MR. The association of smoking and drinking status with gingival symptoms among the adolescents in Korea. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2017;17(5):865-74. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2017.17.05.865
18. Shin SH, Kim MS. The factors associated with dental caries experience and oral hygiene status in smoking adolescents. J Dent Hyg Sci 2009;9(5):497-506.
19. Kim MS, Park HS, Kim YS. Correlation between health behaviors and experiences of oral diseases in adolescents. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2015;15(3):513-21.
20. Lee MR, Choi YH, Sagong J, Yu S, Kim YB, Lee DJ, et al. The interactive association of smoking and drinking levels with presence of periodontitis in South Korean adults. BMC Oral Health 2016;25;16(1):80. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12903-016-0268-y
21. Ministry of Health and Welfare. The 12th Korea youth risk behavior web-based survey 2016 [Internet]. [cited 2019 May 01]. Available from: http://yhs.cdc.go.kr.
22. Row J, Chun YS. Mitogenic effects of nicotine to human periodontal ligament cells in vitro. K J Orthod 1997;27(6):955-61.
23. Kim HH, Yu JS, Han YK. Analysis of correlation between smoking and gingivitis and actual condition of oral health care in some vocational high school boy students. J Dent Hyg Sci 2009;9(5):513-8.
24. Derdivanis JP, Bushmaker S, Dagenais F. Effect of a mouth gash in an irrigating device on accumulating and maturation of dental plaque. J Perio 1978;49(2):81-4. https://doi.org/10.1902/jop.19126.96.36.199
25. Lee HO, Chun JY, Ju OJ. A study on the state of smoking and smoking-related oral health knowledge level among some adolescents. J Dent Hyg Sci 2011;11(6):535-42.
26. Seo SI, Oh JK, Lim MK. Smoking, physical inactivity, inappropriate weight control, sexual activity and binge drinking among adolescents: using Korea youth risk behavior web-based survey in 2015. Korean J Health Educ Promot 2017;34(1):1-12. https://doi.org/10.14367/kjhep.2