Department of Dental Hygiene, Dongnam Health University1
Ehwa Womans University, Mokdung Hospital Dental Center2
Objectives: In this study, by a professional who provides medical services by gauging the level of personality recognition among dental hygienists, the basic data is provided to suggest the need for personality education in dental hygienists' education. Methods: A questionnaire survey was conducted with the members attending conservative education in 2019, and the results of the analysis of the total of 348 members were as follows. Results: The average age of the participants was 31.6 years, and their average career duration was 9.4 years. The total personality score was 3.74 points. The highest score was 4.10 points for conscience, and the lowest score was 2.98 points for habit. In terms of differences between general characteristics and personality domains, the personality perception score was statistically significantly higher for hygienists who were married than for those with a higher education level and working at a higher hospital level. There was a statistically significant positive correlation between the personality domains and the highest competence domain (r=0.790) in relation to total personality. The higher the competency, the higher the total score. Conclusions: Personality is not a part of being formed in the short term. It should be recognized that it is important to recognize the importance of personality in the dental hygiene education curriculum and to provide opportunities to develop personality through systematic programs.
1. Choi JH, Han JC, Yoo J. Understand of him behavior. Seoul: Beobmunsa; 1993: 11-3.
2. Seong MH. Kim EJ. An analysis on college students’ awareness of the importance of personality education, personality development level and their demand for personality education. J Ethics Educ Stud 2015;38:177-202. https://doi.org/10.19850/JEES.2015.38.07
3. Kang YJ. An analysis on awareness of the importance of character education, character development level and needs for character education in dental hygiene. J Contents Assoc 2017;17(10):171-8. https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2017.17.10.171
4. Choi ES. The meaning of character and the task of character education. J Moral Edu 2017;29(3):29-54. https://doi.org/10.17715/jme.2017.9.29.3.29
5. Park JH. Need of character education in nursing education. J Korean Data Analysis Society 2013;15(6):3321-32.
6. Hong SH, Park KS. A study on the personality and job satisfaction of nurses. J Korean Acad Nurs Adm 2002;8(3):489-500.
7. Kim YJ, Han GS. Relationships among emotional leadership, commitment, patient orientation, and job performance in dental hygienists. J Dent Hyg Sci 2015;15(5):550-9. https://doi.org/10.17135/jdhs.2015.15.5.551
8. Lim KM, Park DB, Yun SE. Developing an indicators for character education for college level students. J Educ Sci 2019;20(2):267-97.
9. Park JH. Development and validation of nurse’s character scale for care in clinical settings. J Korean Acad Soc Nurs Educ 2016;22(2):137-51. https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2016.22.2.137
10. Park JH, Lee YH. Influence of dental hygienists’ core competencies on job performance. J Dent Hyg Sci 2017;17(2):142-9. https://doi.org/10.17135/jdhs.2017.17.2.142
11. Lim HJ. Verifying the structural relationship among creativity and integrity, metacognition, mastery-approach goal, communication skills, and autonomous educational climate at the college level[Doctoral dissertation]. Seoul: Univ. of Ewha Womans, 2015.
12. Kim J, Um JY. Hygiene department students required of the dental clinics. J Korean Acad Dent Hyg Educ 2009;9(4):633-43.
13. Lee J. Study on the communicative competence of dental hygienist[Master’s thesis]. Seoul: Univ. of Kyunghee, 2012.
14. Lee YS, Kang HY, Kim SJ. A validation study of the character index instrument for college students. J Ethics Educ Stud 2013;31:261-82.
15. Lim GM, Park DB, Yun SE. Developing an indicators for character education for college level students. J Educ Sci 2019;20(2):267-97. https://doi.org/10.15564/jeju.2019.11 .20.2.267
16. Lee MR, Kwag YK. Analysis of the characteristics of nursing students. AJMAHS 2017;7 (7):491-9. https://doi.org/10.14257/ajmahs.2017.07.74
17. Park HJ, Jang IS. Stress, depression, coping styles and satisfaction of clinical practice in nursing students. Korean Acad Soc Nursing Educ 2010;16(1):14-23.
18. Kim SJ. A study on the personality education plan according to the level of the personality and the need of college students. Korean J Human Develop 2016;23(2):1-19. https://doi.org/10.15284 /kjhd.2016.23.2.1
19. Cho JW, Jeon YY. Analysis of relationship between personality and professionalism recognition of early childhood teachers. The Journal of Korean open Association for Early Childhood Education 2017;10(22):275-303. https://doi.org/10.20437/KOAECE22-5-12
20. Kim HR, Lee CW. A study on Korean character development. Korean Assoc Logos Manage 2011;9(2):214-26.