Department and Research Institute of Dental Biomaterials and Bioengineering, College of Dentistry, Yonsei University1
Department of Dental Hygiene, Hallym Polytechnic University2
Department of Dental Hygiene, Hanseo University3
Objectives: The aim of this study was to investigate the characterization of composite resin inlay surface with silane and non-thermal atmospheric pressure plasma treatment. Methods: Composite resin inlay was used as a specimen, which was treated by sandblasting + silane and sandblasting + plasma. The untreated specimens were assigned to the control group. Specimens were analyzed for surface roughness, color change, and chemical composition. Statistical analyses were performed using one-way ANOVA test (p<0.05). Results: The present findings showed that the roughness and color changes of the plasma-treated surface were significantly lower than those of the silane-treated surface. In addition, a change in the chemical composition was observed on the plasma-treated surface. Conclusions: Based on the results, non-thermal atmospheric pressure plasma could be a potential tool for the cementation of composite resin inlay.
1. Ilie N, Bucuta S, Draenert M. Bulk-fill resin-based composites: an in vitro assessment of their mechanical performance. Oper Dent 2013;38(6):618-25. https://doi.org/10.2341/12-395-l
2. Astvaldsdottir A, Dagerhamn J, van Dijken JW, Naimi-Akbar A, Sandborgh-Englund G, Tranaeus S, et al. Longevity of posterior resin composite restorations in adults - A systematic review. J Dent 2015;43(8):934-54. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jdent.2015.05.001
3. El-Damanhoury H, Platt J. Polymerization shrinkage stress kinetics and related properties of bulk-fill resin composites. Oper Dent 2014;39(4):374-82. https://doi.org/10.2341/13-017-l
4. Marcondes M, Souza N, Manfroi FB, Burnett LH, Jr., Spohr AM. Clinical evaluation of indirect composite resin restorations cemented with different resin cements. J Adhes Dent 2016;18(1):59-67. https://doi.org/10.3290/j.jad.a35519
5. Melilli D, Cumbo EM, Baldissara P, Wandscher VF, Valandro LF, Gallina G, et al. Evaluation of marginal leakage after mechanical fatigue cycling of composite inlays luted with different cements. Gen Dent 2018;66(4):51-5.
6. Hwang IN. Composite resin inlay, onlay. J Korean Dent Assoc 2008;46(7):416-23.
7. Prochnow EP, Amaral M, Bergoli CD, Silva TB, Saavedra G, Valandro LF. Microtensile bond strength between indirect composite resin inlays and dentin: effect of cementation strategy and mechanical aging. J Adhes Dent 2014;16(4):357-63. https://doi.org/10.3290/j.jad.a31801
8. Borges GA, Sophr AM, de Goes MF, Sobrinho LC, Chan DC. Effect of etching and airborne particle abrasion on the microstructure of different dental ceramics. J Prosthet Dent 2003;89(5):479-88. https://doi.org/10.1016/s0022391302527049
9. Kiyan VH, Saraceni CH, da Silveira BL, Aranha AC, Eduardo Cda P. The influence of internal surface treatments on tensile bond strength for two ceramic systems. Oper Dent 2007;32(5):457-65. https://doi.org/10.2341/06-131
10. Visuttiwattanakorn P, Suputtamongkol K, Angkoonsit D, Kaewthong S, Charoonanan P. Microtensile bond strength of repaired indirect resin composite. J Adv Prosthodont 2017;9(1):38-44. https://doi.org/10.4047/jap.2017.9.1.38
11. Piascik JR, Swift EJ, Braswell K, Stoner BR. Surface fluorination of zirconia: adhesive bond strength comparison to commercial primers. Dent Mater 2012;28(6):604-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.dental.2012.01.008
12. Valverde GB, Coelho PG, Janal MN, Lorenzoni FC, Carvalho RM, Thompson VP, et al. Surface characterisation and bonding of Y-TZP following non-thermal plasma treatment. J Dent 2013;41(1):51-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jdent.2012.10.002
13. Silva NR, Coelho PG, Valverde GB, Becker K, Ihrke R, Quade A, et al. Surface characterization of Ti and Y-TZP following non-thermal plasma exposure. J Biomed Mater Res B Appl Biomater 2011;99(1):199-206. https://doi.org/10.1002/jbm.b.31887
14. Choi YR, Kwon JS, Song DH, Choi EH, Lee YK, Kim KN, et al. Surface modification of biphasic calcium phosphate scaffolds by non-thermal atmospheric pressure nitrogen and air plasma treatment for improving osteoblast attachment and proliferation. Thin Solid Films 2013;547:235-40. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tsf.2013.02.038
15. Choi YR, Kang MK. Effect of Non-Thermal atmospheric pressure plasma on adhesion capability in cementation of composite resin inlay. Res J Pharm Technol 2018;11(6):2561-4. https://doi.org/10.5958/0974-360X.2018.00473.0
16. Liezl MC, Wilmart L, Song S, Park J, Lee J, Shin S. Nonthermal plasma on the shear bond strength of relining resin to thermoplastic denture base resin. J Korean Acad Prosthodont 2018;56(3):199-205. https://doi.org/10.4047/jkap.2018.56.3.199
17. Soares CJ, Martins LR, Pfeifer JM, Giannini M. Fracture resistance of teeth restored with indirect-composite and ceramic inlay systems. Quintessence Int 2004;35(4):281-6.
18. Song M, Park S, Cho H, Hwang Y, Oh W, Hwang I. Influence of adhesive application on shear bond strength of the resin cement to indirect resin composite. Restor Dent Endod 2008;33(5):419-27.
19. Jang BS, Kim SK. Bonding of resin inlay to glass-ionomer base with various treatments on inlay surface. Restor Dent Endod 2000;25(3):399-406.
20. Shortall AC, Baylis RL, Wilson HJ. Composite inlay/luting resin bond strength--surface treatment effects. J Dent 1996;24(1-2):129-35.
21. Han S, Cho Y. Effect of a desensitizer on dentinal bond strength in cementation of composite resin inlay. Restor Dent Endod 2009;34(3):223-31.
22. Sofi LR, Fekrazad R, Akbarzadeh M, Maleki M. Effect of Er: YAG laser, sandblast and several types of universal bonding on shear bond strength of zirconia ceramic to composite resin. J Contemp Dent Pract 2018;19(10):1246-53. https://doi.org/10.5005/jp-journals-10024-2412
23. Swift EJ Jr, Cloe BC, Boyer DB. Effect of a silane coupling agent on composite repair strengths. Am J Dent 1994;7(4):200-2.
24. Labriaga W, Song SY, Park JH, Ryu JJ, Lee JY, Shin SW. Effect of non-thermal plasma on the shear bond strength of resin cements to Polyetherketoneketone (PEKK). J Adv Prosthodont 2018;10(6):408-14. https://doi.org/10.4047/jap.2018.10.6.408
25. Lee M, Park J, Goo H. Self re-evaluation of various colored drinks after tooth bleaching. J Korean Acad Dent Hyg 2016;18(2):105-14.
26. Gu H. Comparison of light activated bleaching effect using high concentration hydrogen peroxide and carbamide peroxide. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2009;11(2):111-20.
27. Ruyter IE, Nilner K, Moller B. Color stability of dental composite resin materials for crown and bridge veneers. Dent Mater 1987;3(5):246-51. https://doi.org/10.1016/s0109-5641(87)80081-7
28. Yavirach P, Chaijareenont P, Boonyawan D, Pattamapun K, Tunma S, Takahashi H, et al. Effects of plasma treatment on the shear bond strength between fiber-reinforced composite posts and resin composite for core build-up. Dent Mater J 2009;28(6):686-92.
29. Chen M, Zhang Y, Sky Driver M, Caruso AN, Yu Q, Wang Y. Surface modification of several dental substrates by non-thermal, atmospheric plasma brush. Dent Mater 2013;29(8):871-80. https://doi.org/j.dental.2013.05.002
30. Uhm S, Kwon J, Lee J, Lee E, Kim K. Applications of non-thermal atmospheric pressure plasma in dentistry. J Korean Dent Assoc 2014;52(12):783-94.