Department of Dental Hygiene, Jeonbuk Science College1
Department of Dental Hygiene, Jin-Ju Health College2
Department of Radiological Science, Shin-han University3
Department of Dental Hygiene, Shin-han University4
Objectives: To establish foundations for reinforcing radiation safety management in dental facilities. Methods: This study investigated the status of radiation safety management among radiation workers in dental facilities nationwide for a period of six months from July to December in 2018 and analyzed the factors that affect their compliance with radiation safety measures. Results: Compliance with safety measures was higher in the Honam region (p<0.01) and Yeongnam region (p<0.01), in university hospitals and general hospitals (p<0.05), along with an increasing perception of the importance of safety management (p<0.001). Conclusions: It is important to strengthen education about radiation safety management, develop a radiation safety guideline that could be reasonably applied to dental institutions, and implement relevant regulations or legal grounds to promote compliance with these measures.
1. Bae HS, Heo MS, Kim CH, Kim JS, Moon HJ, Park IW, et al. Oral and maxillofacial radiology. 2nd ed. Seoul: DaehanNarae Publishing, 2014: 293, 317.
2. White SC, Pharoah MJ. Oral radiology - principles and interpretation. 4th ed. St. Louis: Mosby Inc; 2000: 205-12.
3. Lee WG. Design of dental panoramic & CT system[Master's thesis]. Busan: Univ. of Pusan National, 2009.
4. Rules about safety management of diagnostic radiation devices, Article 32-2 of the Medical Service Act of the Republic of Korea, 1995.
5. Jeong BS. The analysis of factors influencing on radiation safety management behavior in dental hygienists[Master's thesis]. Incheon: Univ. of Gachon, 2013.
6. Lee MH, Yu YS, Lee JS, Im IC. Research on the actual condition of the radiation safety management(RSM) for the educated training of the dental diagnostics X-ray generators. J Korean Soc Radiol 2014;8(7):467-77. https://doi.org/10.7742/jksr.2014.8.7.467
7. Han OS, Woo SH, Kim SY. The knowledge and attitude toward radiation safety management in dental clinic worker. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2014;14(6):849-57. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2014.14.06.849
8. Lee KH, Byun AR, Kim SK. Impact of dental radiography awareness on radiation exposure and concern among adults. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2014;14(4):527-37. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2014.14.04.527
9. Lee SY, Kim JR, Lee JH, Park CW. A study on development of guideline on writing technical document for electrical medical devices: dental X-ray equipment. J Radio Sci Tech 2016;39(4):651-60. https://doi.org/10.17946/JRST.2016.39.4.23
10. Lee KH, Kim SR, Kim CJ, Ki EJ, Park HL, Jung EY. Interest levels of adults in dental radiology education and factors affecting dental radiography in adults. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2017;17(6):1095-107. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2017.17.06.1095
11. Kim SJ. An inquire into dental personnel's knowledge, attitude and behavior about the defense against dental radiation. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2004;4(1):15-29.
12. Park IS, Lee KH. A study on the environmental condition and safety in dental radiography room. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2004;4(1):49-64.
13. Yeo JD, Ko IH. A study on perception by examines of the radiology department about exposure to radioactivity. J Korean Soc Radiol 2013;7(5):320-31. https://doi.org/10.7742/jksr.2013.7.5.321
14. Kang EJ, Hyeong JH. Current status of dental intraoral imaging devices and radiographic saftety management. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2016;16(2):205-14. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2016.16.02.205
15. Na HH. Awareness and performance on the protection behaviors dental radiation and infection management in the radiographic room[Master’ thesis]. Busan: Univ. of Dong-eui, 2015.
16. Shin GS, Kim YH, Lee BR, Kim SY, Lee GW, Park CS, et al. The actual state and the utilization for dental radiography in Korea. J Radio Sci Tech 2010;33(2):109-19.
17. Kim HS. Study on radiation dose evaluation for radiation workers for 5 years (2008~2012 years). Cheongju: National Institute of Food and Drug Safety Evaluation; 2013: 8-12.
18. Kim HK, Kim HY, Park JI, Lim HJ, Hong SM. Knowledge, attitude, and activity of dental hygienist about radiographic quality assurance. J Korean Acad Oral Health 2010;34(2):273-81.
19. Kim HJ. Evaluation on recognition & performance levels for the prevention of nosocomial infection among nurses[Master’ thesis]. Asan: Univ. of Soonchunhyang, 2000.
20. Lee JS, Kang BC, Yoon SJ. The survey of the surface doses of the dental x-ray machines. Imag Sci Dent 2005;35:87-90.
21. Kim SH, Hong SM, Lee KO. A comparative study of educators vs, non-educators designed to improve dental radiographic quality control; Focusing on theories of dental radiographic and practical training and clinical practice education. J Korean Soc Radiol 2015;6(5):421-6. https://doi.org/10.7742/jksr.2012.6.5.421
22. Japanese radiological society. Medical exposure guideline committee compilation. Target of medical exposure reduction. 1st ed. Tokyo: Medical Science Publishing co.; 2002: 16-8.
23. Horner K, Islam M, Flygare L, Tsiklakis K, Whaites E. Basic principles for use of dental cone beam computed tomography: consensus guidelines of the European academy of dental and maxillofacial radiology. Dentomaxillofac Radiol 2009;38:187–95. https://doi.org/10.1259/dmfr/74941012
24. Kim KW, Eom S. Factors to affect dental radiation safety management behaviors. J Dent Hyg Sci 2012;12(4):335-41.