Department of Dental Hygiene, Graduate School, Yonsei University1
Department of Dental Hygiene, Wonju College of Medicine, Yonsei University2
Department of Dental Hygiene, Hanseo University3
Seoul National University Dental Hospital4
AbstractObjectives: This study investigates the dental hygienist’s main duties in clinical dental practice and examine whether dental hygienists can safely perform each duty by referring to the educational contents of dental hygiene departments and national examinations of dental hygienists. Methods: A questionnaire on the main duties of dental hygienists was administered to 477 clinical dental hygienists working at dental clinics and hospitals, general dental hospitals, and university dental hospitals in Seoul, Gyeonggi-do, and Incheon. We divide the dental hygienists’ clinical dental hygiene practice and clinical dental assist and analyze the legal scope of practice, university educational contents, and national examination contents. Statistical analysis was performed through frequency analysis, and multi-frequency data were analyzed using Excel 2013. Results: All 48 items (except 2 items of 29 dental hygiene practice and 21 assist practice items) surveyed were covered in the National Examination for Dental Hygienists and included in the Dental Hygiene Education Learning Objective. The multi-frequency clinical dental practice of eight items of clinical dental hygiene practice and two assist practice items were within the legal scope of the dental hygienist’s role. Conclusions: Further discussions are needed to redefine the legal scope of the role of the dental hygienist.
1. Korean Dental Hygienists Association. About dental hygiene[Internet]. [cited 2018 Oct 30]. Available from: http://www.kdha.or.kr/introduce/dentalhygienist.aspx#introduce
2. National Law Information Center. Enforcement decree of the medical technologists, etc[Internet]. [cited 2018 Oct 15]. Available from: http://www.law.go.kr/lsSc.do?menuId=0&subMenu=1&query=%EC%9D%98%EB%A3%8C%EA%B8%B0%EC%82%AC#undefined
3. Min GH, Park YD, Jeong SH, Choi YC, Jeon JE, Lee GY. 2017 year book of the Korean dentistry. Seoul: Health Policy Institute 2018: 102-5.
4. Bae SS, Kim SK, Noh HJ, Cho HS, Nam JR, Kim SO, et al. Study on dental hygienist clinical organizational structure standardization. Seoul: Korean Dental Hygienists Association; 2015: 26-62.
5. Dental Newspaper. The solution of serious assistant labor shortage[Internet]. [cited 2018 Nov 19]. Available from: http://www.dentalnews.or.kr/news/article.html?no=15776
6. Medical Today. Korean dental association, selected as a ‘Time-choice workers' business partner group collaboration project’[Internet]. [cited 2018 Dec 17]. Available from: http://www.mdtoday.co.kr/mdtoday/index.html?no=253361
7. Korea News System. Korean dental association announces roadmap for solution of assistant labor shortage[Internet]. [cited 2018 Nov 19]. Available from: http://www.kns.tv/news/articleView.html?idxno=386844
8. Medical Today. Korean dental association, “proposal of a consultative group to discuss together the revision of the work scope of dental personnel”[Internet]. [cited 2018 Dec 17]. Available from: http://www.mdtoday.co.kr/mdtoday/index.html?no=332711
9. Cookie News. Dental assistant, can nursing assistants doing and can not dental hygienists doing?[Internet]. [cited 2018 Oct 14]. Available from: http://www.kukinews.com/news/article.html?no=583691
10. Kim YS, Shin MW. A study on the current state and weight of dental hygienists’ works. J Korean Acad Dent Hyg Educ 2008;8(3):161-75.
11. Kim EG, Lim SH, Kwon MY, Choi YY, Han JH. Analysis of tasks and education needs for dental hygienist for development of dental hygiene curriculum. J Dent Hyg Sci 2014;14(1):35-42.
12. Han YK, Kim EG, Kim SH, Bae SM, Yang JY, Yu JS, et al. A dentist’s view on the practical work and legal work of dental hygienists’. Seoul: Korean Dental Hygienists Association; 2017: 14-28.
13. Noh HJ, Mun SJ, Bae SS, Kim SK, Jeong JH. The vision of dental hygiene education for improvement of dental hygiene professionalism: development of clinical dental hygiene competencies for dental hygiene students. Iksan: Korean Association of Dental Hygiene Professors; 2017: 16-54.
14. Park JR, Kang KH, Kim SA, Lee GY, Lee SM, Jang JH, et al. The study of second task analysis of dental hygienists’. Seoul: Korea Health Personnel Licensing Examination Institute; 2012: 39-71.
15. Korean Association of Dental Hygienist Education, Korean Association of Dental Hygiene Professors. Department of dental hygiene learning objectives. 5th ed. Seoul: Komoonsa; 2017: 1-212.
16. Ko MH, Kim S, Kim SS, Kim TS, Park DO. Orthodontics. 2nd ed. Seoul: Komoonsa; 2008: 227-9.
17. Kang BW, Kang JG, Kang HG, Koo IY, Kwon HS, Kwon HM, et al. Introduction to dental hygienics. Seoul: J.S Mall; 2008: 127-31
18. Hwang YS, Kang HS, Kim SH, Mun HJ, Lee SM, Jung JY, et al. A policy proposal for training and empowering excellent dental hygienists. Seoul: Korea Health Personnel Licensing Examination Institute; 2008: 127-1.
19. Han SY, Kim NH, Yoo JH, Kim CS, Chung WG. Current status of clinical dental hygiene education based on dental hygiene process of care. J Dent Hyg Sci 2009;9(3):271-8.
20. Korea Health Personnel Licensing Examination Institute. Examination timetable of dental hygienist[Internet]. [cited 2019 Jan 19]. Available from: http://www.kuksiwon.or.kr/Examination/OccuLicense.aspx?PageName=TimeTbl&JobCode=12&SiteGnb=8&SiteLnb=5
21. American Dental Hygienists’ Association. Scope of practice: practice act overview[Internet]. [cited 2019 Jan 23]. Available from: http://www.adha.org/resources-docs/7511_Permitted_Services_Supervision_Levels_by_State.pdf
22. Medipana News. Increase the number of admission of dental hygiene department: positive evaluation of dentistry[Internet]. [cited 2019 Jan 23]. Available from: https://www.medipana.com/news/news_viewer.asp?NewsNum=213506&MainKind=B
23. Im MH, Han SJ, Jeong JY. A study on dentists’ awareness about dental hygienists’ works and duty division. J Korean Acad Dent Hyg 2004;6(1):71-86.
24. Park JH, Kim MS, Cho JW. Dentists’ opinions for dental hygienists’ roles in Korea. J Korean Acad Oral Health 2010;34(1):88-97.
25. Kwak YL. Dentists’ awareness of dental hygienists’ work[Master’s thesis]. Seoul: Univ. of Kyunghee, 2013.
26. Park IS. A study on curriculum of dental hygienists. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2004;4(2):193-207.
27. Chung WG, Noh HJ, Kim NH, Mun SJ, Jeon HS, Han SY. The history of dental hygiene education in Korea. Seoul: DaehanNarae Publishing, Inc; 2015: 30-211.
28. Ahn YS, Shin SJ, Jung SH, Lee YS, Lim DS. Comparison of job description and turnover trend among dental hygienists and assistant nurses in dental clinics. J Korean Acad Oral Health 2006;30(3):303-15.
29. Cho EJ, Lim SR. A qualitative research on conflict experiences of clinical dental hygienists. J Dent Hyg Sci 2016;16(6):449-57. https://doi.org/10.17135/jdhs.2016.16.6.449.
30. Choi HN, Bae HS, Cho YS. Effect of gap between expected job and performed job on turnover intention and job satisfaction in clinical dental hygienists. J Dent Hyg Sci 2011;11(5):463-9.
31. Yoo EM, Han HJ. A study on the work and turnover of clinical dental hygienists. J Dent Hyg Sci 2011;11(1):41-6.
32. Yoon MS. Suggestions for settlement stable employment culture of dental hygienist. J Dent Hyg Sci 2017;17(6):463-71. https://doi.org/10.17135/jdhs.2017.17.6.463.