강릉원주대학교 치과대학 치위생학과1
Objectives: This study aimed to confirm the relationship between toothbrushing practice after lunch and typical oral health behaviors in children and adolescents according to the subject and type of social support. Methods: The study used data from the 2010 Korean Survey on the Health of Youth and Children and selected 8,704 elementary, middle, and high school students as final targets. Multiple logistic regression was conducted to confirm the link between social support and toothbrushing after lunch. Results: The results showed that in elementary and vocational high school students, statistical significance of all social support variables disappeared after controlling for both demographic and social factors and oral symptom experience. However, in the middle school students, the emotional support of the neighbors and the emotional support of the teachers showed statistically significant effect on brushing daily after lunch (p<0.05). In general high school students, there was a significant association between family emotional support and toothbrushing after lunch (p<0.01). Conclusions: The oral health promotion program for children and adolescents needs to be integrated and coordinated with the overall health promotion program. In particular, it is believed that the school-based program can strengthen the practice of health behaviors by inducing behavioral changes based on the formation of healthy relationships and trust of colleagues and teachers. Therefore, it is necessary to develop social network-based programs including social support such as emotional health and healthy relationships that can be applied among children for oral health promotion. Key Words: Adolescents, Children, Oral health, Social determinants of health, Social support, Toothbrushing
1. Freeman H, Brown BB. Primary attachment to parents and peers during adolescence: Differences by attachment style. J Youth Adolesc 2001;30(6):653-74. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1012200511045
2. Hong JK. A study on the status, cause and countermeasure of school violence. The Korean Journal of Elementary Counseling 2012;11(2):237-59.
3. Kim KH, Yi GH. A study on the influence of smartphone addiction and life stress on suicidal impulse for youth: with an emphasis on the moderation effect of social support. Survey Research 2016;17(4):35-65.
4. Park YS, Jeon SS, Son JY, Park YJ, Song OR, Le HBT. A study of Korean adolescents’ stress and social support: focusing on stress events, social supporters and types of social support. Korean Journal of Culture and Social Issues 2016;22(4):487-522. https://doi.org/10.20406/kjcs.2016.11.22.4.487
5. Umberson D, Crosnoe R, Reczek C. Social relationships and health behavior across life course. Annu Rev Sociol 2010;36:139-57. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev-soc-070308-120011
6. Song IH, Park JH. The effect of parent-child bonding on adolescent health promotion behavior: a study on the mediating effect of self-efficacy. Korean Journal of Youth Studies 2011;18(6):75-98.
7. Strine TW, Chapman DP, Balluz L, Mokdad AH. Health-related quality of life and health behaviors by social and emotional support. Soc Psychiatry Psychiatr Epidemiol 2008;43(2):151-9. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00127-007-0277-x
8. Dimatteo MR. Social support and patient adherence to medical treatment: a meta-analysis. Health Psychol 2004;23(2):207-18. https://doi.org/10.1037/0278-6220.127.116.11
9. Park NH, Lee HJ. A critical review of health behavior studies of adolescents conducted in Korea. J Korean Community Nurs 2002;13(1):98-114.
10. Springer A, Parcel G, Baumler E, Ross M. Supportive social relationships and adolescent health risk behavior among secondary school students in Elsalvador. Soc Sci Med 2006;62(7):1628-40. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.socscimed.2005.08.018
11. Sim MK. The Effect of Self-esteem, Family functioning, social support on health-promoting behavior in adolescents. Korean Parent Child Health J 2005;8(1):64-74.
12. Chang SJ, Koh SB, Park JK, Cha BS. The effect of social support on chronic stress and immune system in male manufacturing workers. Korean J Prev Med 2002;35(4):287-94.
13. Lim MK, Kim MH, Shin YJ, Yoo WS, Yang BM. Social support and self-rated health status in a low income neighborhood of Seoul, Korea. J Peve Med Public Health 2003;36(1):54-62.
14. Maija R, Bert NU. Social and emotional support and its implication for health. Curr Opin Psychiatry 2008;21(2):201–5. https://doi.org/10.1097/YCO.0b013e3282f3ad89
15. Ha KP, Song SH. A study on the relationship of daily stress and social support to psychological wellbeing in the elderly. J Contents Association 2013;13(7):278-89. https://doi.org/10.5392/jkca.2013.13.07.278
16. Kim YI, Yu SH. Influencing factors on oral health related self-efficacy and social support in high school students. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2015;15(1):129-35. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2015.15.01.129
17. Kim MG, Kim SY, Jang MJ, Jung HJ, Jo HJ, Lee BH. The effect of oral health related quality of life on social support and self-efficacy of the middle-aged. J Korean Oral Health Sci 2018;6(2):17-23.
18. Lee SE. A comparative study of effects of social support on dental service utilization of the elderly between urban and rural areas. Korean Public Health Research 2014;40(3):37-47.
19. Demaray MK, Malecki CK. The relationship between perceived social support and maladjustment for students at risk. Psychol Sch 2002;39(3):305-16. https://doi.org/10.1002/pits.10018
20. Choi IJ. Korean survey on the health of youth and children in 2010. Sejong-si: National Youth Policy Institute; 2011: 3-17, 101-12.
21. Choi J, Kim MY. Factors influencing health risk behavior in high school students. Child Health Nurs Res 2009;15(2):182-9. https://doi.org/10.4094/jkachn.2009.15.2.182
22. Broadbent JM, Thomson WM, Poulton R. Oral health beliefs in adolescence and oral health in young adulthood. J Dent Res 2006;85(4):339-43. https://doi.org/10.1177/154405910608500411
23. Jung SH. New Dental Public Health. 1st ed. Seoul: Komoonsa; 2012: 182-5.
24. Barrieshi-Nusair K, Alomari Q, Said K. Dental health attitudes and behaviour among dental students in Jordan. Community Dent Health 2006;23(3):147-51.
25. Kim JB, Choi YJ, Moon HS, Kim DK, Lee HS, Park DY. Public Oral health. 4th ed. Seoul: Komoonsa; 2009: 259-75.
26. Ministry of Education, Science and Technology. Development of action plans for improving adolescents’ health. Sejong: MEST; 2007: 27.
27. Ministry of Health and Welfare, Korea Health Promotion Foundation. Health plan 2020. Seoul: Ministry of Health and Welfare, Korea Health Promotion Foundation; 2015: 222.
28. Kim HY, Won BY. A study on the oral health care and effects of nutritional and oral health education for elementary school students. Korean J Food Cook Sci 2004;20(1):1-10.
29. Kim YA. This study investigated the relationship of stress levels, social support, and health behaviors in the adolescent population. Child Health Nurs Res 2001;7(2):203-12.
30. Choi BY. Effect of oral health-related self efficacy and social support on lifestyle for promoting oral health and oral health-related quality of life among adolescents[Doctoral dissertation]. Iksan: Univ. of Wonkwang, 2014.
31. Kim SH, Lee JH. Test of a hypothetical model for health promoting behavior in school-aged children. Child Health Nurs Res 2008;14(1):22-34.
32. Kim HS, Kim YI. Factors related to health promoting behavior in late school-age children. J Korean Soc School Health 2010;23(1):1-10.
33. Kim SK, Kim YS. An oral health promotion behavior model for primary school children. J Korean Acad Dent Health 2008;32(4):563-74.
34. Shin SJ, Shin BM, Bae SM. Case Report: a case study on implementation of a school-based tooth brushing program in Gangneung city, Korea. J Den Hyg Sci 2013;13(4):518-27.
35. Yoo JS, Chang KW, Kim YS. Development and practice of a health-oral health combined education program. J Korean Acad Oral Health 2010;34(2):169-77.
36. Kim SJ, Ahn SH, Kim YH, Chung ES. Relationships between knowledge, attitudes, and behaviors about the dental health and the dental health conditions in elementary students in the Pusan area. Korean Journal of Health Education and Promotion 2004;21(1):69-84.
37. Kim SL, Yoo JP. A study on the effect of emotional support on adolescents` health promoting behaviors: mediating effect of self-efficacy. Korean Journal of Youth Studies 2014;21(6):135-59.
38. Kim TI. Growth development and health. 1st ed. Paju: Kyomunsa; 2007: 249-57.
39. Gochman DS. Health behavior research: definitions and diversity. In: Handbook of health behavior research, vol. 1. personal and social determinatns. 1st ed. Gochman DS: New York: Plenum Press; 1997: 3-19.
40. Naver. Social supports[Internet]. [cited 2018 Nov 06]. Available from: https://terms.naver.com/entry.nhn?docId=1944020&cid=41989&categoryId=41989.
41. Marmot M, Wilkinson RG. Social determinant of health: the solid facts. 2nd ed. Denmark: WHO Region office for Europe; 2003: 10-31.