Objectives: This study aimed to analyze the oral health behavior in the upper grades of elementary school in relation to oral health literacy and oral health knowledge. Methods: A survey on the general characteristics, oral health literacy, oral health knowledge, and oral health behavior was administered to students in the upper grades of five elementary schools in Daegu and Gyeongbuk, South Korea, from March to June, 2018. Finally, a total of 236 questionnaires were analyzed. Results: Oral health literacy in accordance with oral health behavior was high when oral health behavior was high (p<0.05). The results of multiple regression analysis of the general characteristics, oral health knowledge, oral health literacy, and oral health behavior were analyzed as follows: Y (oral health behavior) = 2.028 + 0.113 (oral health literacy) (p<0.05). Conclusions: To ensure appropriate oral health behavior among elementary school students, it is necessary to develop systematic programs in elementary schools to provide oral health education to increase oral health literacy and oral health knowledge.
1. Kang SH, Kim MS, Lee SM, Bae KH, Oh MN, Kim JB. Effectiveness evaluation of an incremental oral health program by school dental clinic. J Korean Acad Dent Health 2006;30(3):231-42.
2. Kim YH. A study on dental health knowledge and behavior of elementary school student. J Den Hyg Sci 2006;6(3):227-30.
3. Kim YI. The oral health knowledge and behavior of elementary school students in Jeonju. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2011;11(1):49-57.
4. Cho YS, Park DY, Choi YH, Lee BJ, Son CK. 2015 Korean children's oral Health Survey. The Health and Welfare Ministry; 2015: 1-426.
5. Kim SH, Kim JH, Kim JH. Correlation study of the oral health knowledge, attitude and behavior in the high grade students of elementary school in some regions of the metropolitan. J Korean Acad Dent Tech 2011;33(4):495-503.
6. Berg JH. Early childhood oral health. 1st ed. Iowa: Wiley-Blackwell; 2009: 200-1.
7. Parker EJ, Jamieson LM. Associations between indigenous australian oral health literacy and self-reported oral health outcomes. BMC Oral Health 2010;10:3. https://doi.org/10.1186/1472-6831-10-3.
8. Nalçaci R, Erdemir EO, Baran I. Evaluation of the oral health status of the people aged 65 years and over living in near rural district of middle anatolia, Turkey. Arch Gerontol Geriatr 2007;45:55-64. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.archger.2006.09.002
9. Safeer RS, Keenan J. Health literacy: the gap between hysicians and patients. Am Fam Physician 2005;72:463-8.
10. Wehmeyer MM, Corwin CL, Guthmiller JM, Lee JY. The impact of oral health literacy on periodontal health status. J Public Health Dent 2014;74:80-7. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1752-7325.2012.00375.x.
11. Ueno M, Takeuchi S, Oshiro A, Kawaguchi Y. Relationship between oral health literacy and oral health behaviors and clinical status in Japanese adults. J Dental Sci 2013;8:170-6.
12. Vann WF Jr, Lee JY, Baker D, Divaris K. Oral health literacy among female caregivers: impact on oral health outcomes in early childhood. J Dent Res 2010;89:1395-400. https://doi.org/10.1177/0022034510379601.
13. Ju HJ, Lee HS, Oh HW. Relationship of oral health literacy with oral health behaviors among adults. J Korean Acad Oral Health 2015;39(3):186-94.
14. Lee TW, Kang SJ. Health literacy in the Korean elderly and influencing factors. J Korean Gerontological Soc 2008;28:847-63.
15. Parker RM, Baker DW, Williams MV, Nurss JR. The test of functional health literacy in adults. J Gen Intern Med 1995;10(10):537-41.
16. Ju HJ, Oh HW, Kim JY, Lee HS. A cross-sectional study on oral health literacy and its influencing factors among adults: I. Verbal oral health literacy. J Korean Acad Oral Health 2012;36(2):97-105.
17. H JS, Shin YA, Jang KW. Development of oral health literacy assessment tool for fifth and sixth grade elementary school students. J Korean Acad Oral Health 2017;41(3):214-21.
18. Lee JS, Lee HS. The oral health behavior and its related factor in Korean university students. J Korean Acad Oral Health 2004;28(3);331-46.
19. Park CH, Jung IS. Knowledge, cognition and behaviour of the parents and the state of dental caries of preschoolers living in pusan province. J Korean Aca Dent Tech 2002;24(1):83-93.
20. Song GS, Ryu DY. A study of oral health knowledge, attitude, and behavior of elementary school students. Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2011;11(1):39-47.
21. Choi SY, Kwon HS, Song KB, Lee JH, Kang HK, Choi JM. Effects of school-based oral health programs among school children : Focus on the oral health knowledge and behaviors. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2006;6(4):455-67.
22. Ju HJ, Oh HW, Lee HS. Impact of oral health literacy on oral health-related quality of life among adults. J Korean Acad Oral Health 2014;38(4):220-6.
23. Jang SJ. Convergent relationship between functional oral health literacy, oral health knowledge and oral health behavior of some university students. J Korea Convergence Society 2016;7(2):69-75.
24. Jang SJ, Kim HJ. A study on the dental knowledge and awareness of special education teachers. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2013;13(1):38-44.
25. Wong HM, Bridges SM, Yiu C, McGrath C, Au TK, Parthasarathy DS. Development and validation of Hong Kong rapid estimate of adult literacy in dentistry. J Investig Clin Dent 2012;3(2):118-27. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.2041-1626.2012.00113.x.
26. Lee JY, Rozier RG, Lee SY, Bender D, Ruiz RE. Development of a word recognition instrument to test health literacy in dentistry: the REALD-30–a brief communication. J Public Health Dent 2007;67:94-8. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1752-7325.2007.00021.x
27. Lee HJ, Jang KW. Oral health literacy of Korean adults. J Korean Acad Oral Health 2017;41(2):102-9. https://doi.org/10.11149/jkaoh.2017.41.2.102