Objectives: The aim of this study was to examine factors influencing job embeddedness in dental clinic hygienists. Through this study, we suggest the necessity to increase job embeddedness and use that as basic data for effective dental personnel management. Methods: A self-reported questionnaire was filled out by 219 dental clinic hygienists from September 8 to October 8, 2018. Data were analyzed using SPSS 20.0. Independent t-test, one-way ANOVA, Scheffe’s post-hoc test, and Pearson correlation coefficient were reviewed, and a multiple regression analysis was conducted. Results: Dental hygienists scored 3.14 points in job embeddedness. The variables that influenced clinical job embeddedness were self-efficacy, organizational commitment, and job satisfaction. These factors had 56.7% of variance in dental clinic hygienists. Conclusions: Job satisfaction was the most affected factor for dental clinic hygienists. In order to maintain effective personnel management of dental hygienists, strategic program development and application are needed to improve job embeddedness.
1. So MH, Kim SS. The effects of behavior of preventive treatment on job satisfaction in dental hygienist. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2011;11(6):951-9.
2. Park MS. What is dental hygiene. In: Introduction to dental hygiene. 1st ed. Kim J, Bae SM, Yoon MS, Jang YJ, Kim KS, et al: Seoul: Daehannarae publishers; 2016: 3-7.
3. Korean Health and Medical Workers Union: Reports to health and medical workers. Seoul: KHMWU; 2010: 5-6.
4. Lee BH, Kim JS. Analysis of the correlation of burnout, job satisfaction and turnover of dental hygienists. J Contents Assoc 2010;10(11):217-27.
5. Choi HN, Lim JW, Cho YS. Factors associated with turnover intention of dental hygienist. J Dent Hyg Sci 2010;10(6):973-81.
6. Lee SM, Choi WJ, Han GS, Kim CH. Influencing factors of turnover intention of dental hygienists using by the pathanalysis. J Dent Hyg Sci 2013;13(6):941-9. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2013.13.06.941
7. Kim HY, Choi JO, Seong MG. The effect of self-efficacy and job satisfaction of dental hygienists on the organizational commitment and turnover intention. J Dent Hyg Sci 2012;12(1):213-23. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2012.12.1.213
8. Jeong SB, Choi EM, Choi JS. The effects of emotional labor on burnout, turnover intention, and job satisfaction among clinical dental hygienists. J Korean Acad Oral Health 2014;38(1):50-8.
9. Han YS, Moon HJ, Cho YS. Reliability and validity of the Korean version of job embeddedness for measurement tool of dental hygienist. J Dent Hyg Sci 2016;16(1):18-25.
10. Mitcheel TR, Holtom BC, Lee TW, Sablynski CH, Erez M. Why people stay: using job embeddedness to predict voluntary turnover. Acad Manage J 2001;44(6):1102-22.
11. Hong HK, Chung KY, Kim WH. Effects of self-efficacy on job embeddedness, innovation behaviors, and organizational citizenship behavior - the moderating effect worked mainly in the form-. J Contents Assoc 2012;12(5):415-30.
12. Bae IH. Effect of j ob embeddedness and self-efficacy of hotel chef's on job attitudeand turnover intention[Doctoral dissertation]. Seoul: Univ. of Kyonggi, 2012.
13. Son SY, Choi JS. Effect of job embeddedness and job satisfaction on turnover intention in nurses. Korean J Adult Nurs 2015;27(2):180-7.
14. Kim YN. Influences of fatigue, emotional labor and job embeddedness on nurses turnover intention. J Health Service Management 2017;11(1):67-78.
15. Cohen J. Statistical power analysis for the behavioral sciences. 2nd ed. Hillsdale, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates; 1988: 407-14.
16. Kim SJ, Jung MS. The effects of emotional labor and job stress of employees at university hospital on job satisfaction. J Humanit Soc Sci 2017;8(3):75-93.
17. Won YS, Park SY, Kim JS. A study on the effect of self-efficacy and stress-coping method of dental hygienist. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2012;12(5):909-19.
18. Lee YS, Jang JH, Moon AE. The effects of emotional labor and stress on job satisfaction in oral health professional. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2011;11(5):823-31.
19. Kim EJ. The effects of organizational culture and self-leadership on jop satisfaction and organizational commitment[Master’s thesis]. Seoul: Univ. of Chungang, 2009.
20. Kim EH, Lee EJ, Choi HJ. Mediation effect of organizational citizenship behavior between job embeddedness and turnover intention in hospital nurses. J Korean Acad Nur Adm 2012;18(4):394-401.
21. Yoon SU, Kim JS. Relations between emotional labor and job stress among some dental hygienists. J Korea Soc Dent Hyg 2011;11(2):179-88.
22. Lee SM. A study on the relationship of power and empowerment, self-efficacy of dental hygienists. J Korea Soc Dent Hyg 2005;5(1):77-88.
23. Park YN, Choi YK, Ryu DY. Influence of organizational communication satisfaction on job satisfaction, organizational commitment, and turnover intention : focused on the mediated effects of interpersonal stress. J Korea Soc Dent Hyg 2015;15(5):797-804.
24. Mun MY, Hwang SY. Impact of nursing organizational culture types on innovative behavior and job embeddedness perceived by nurses. J Korean Acad Nurs Adm 2016;22(4):313-22.
25. Jeon JH, Yom YH. Roles of empowerment and emotional intelligence in the relationship between job embeddedness and turnover intension among general hospital nurses. J Korean Acad Nur Adm 2014;20(3):302-12.
26. Kim HJ, Cho GY. The influences of preceptors nurse’s self-leadership on self efficacy and job-embeddedness. The Korean Society for Fisheries and Marine Sciences Education 2018;30(3):873-84.