건양대학교 의과학대학 치위생학과5
단국대학교 보건과학대학 치위생학과7
Objectives: The aim of this study was to propose a standardized guideline for clinical training courses among dental hygiene departments of colleges in Korea. This study comparatively evaluated periods and durations of the curricula and specific domains, credits and hours of clinical training classes, and institutions providing practical lessons, and calculated the total credits and hours. Methods: From August 15 to September 15, 2017, a literature review was conducted in dental hygiene departments of 82 schools around the country in order to investigate the current conditions of clinical training in each educational system. Furthermore, 5 colleges were selected from each type of educational system, and their credits and hours for clinical training were analyzed in subjects of practical training for clinical dental hygiene, practical training for dental clinic, practical training for local community dental health, clinical training, and pre-clinical level practical training. The total credits and hours were calculated on the basis of analysis results. Results: The findings revealed that the hours of clinical training classes and hours per credit for practical training in the dental hygiene departments as well as the practical training institutions varied between the colleges. In some cases, the hours of practical training were not indicated. Standardized clinical training in the dental hygiene department was allotted 675 hours, whereas practical training in local community dental health studies was allotted 105 hours, which totaled to 780 allotted hours. Conclusions: There was a significant difference among the colleges in terms of the current conditions of clinical training in the dental hygiene department. The literature review revealed that a total of 780 hours was allotted to clinical training, and this was significantly more than the standard (500 hours) set by the . Moreover, these clinical training hours were lower than in advanced countries or other health and medical treatment occupations. Therefore, efficient improvement is required in order to provide a timely guideline for clinical training.
1. Kim JS, Kang EJ, Kim SJ. The status of clinical practice for students in the department of dental hygiene. J Korean Acad Dent Hyg Educ 2009;9(3):439-55.
2. Song J, Kim M. Study on clinical education for nursing in hospitals in Korea. J Korean Acad Soc Nurs Edu 2013;19(2):251-64. https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2013.19.2.251
3. Yang E, Suh DJ, Lee Y, Lee S, Kim S, Lee EI, et al. Status of clerkship education and its evaluation in Korean medical schools. Korean J Med Educ 2007;19(2):111-21.
4. Won BY, Jang GW, Hwang MY, Jang JH. Analysis on the current status of clinical practice and training in dental hygiene students. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2016;(6):993-1007.
5. Yoon HS, Lee HS, Kim YS. A study on perception between students and dental hygienist. J Dent Hyg 2005;11:71-80.
6. Oh HS. Study on the teaching efficiency and satisfaction levels of clinical practice instructors during clinical practice training for some dental hygienists and student. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2013;13(5):777-86.
7. Cho MS, Kim CS. The relationship between the satisfaction levels of education and clinical practice in the dental hygiene students. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2014:14(5):649-57.
8. Yang SK, Han GS. The teaching effectiveness of preceptor on clinical dental hygiene education. J Korean Acad Dent Health 2009;33(4):653-63.
9. Lee SS, Cho MS. Teaching efficiency of clinical practice education for students in the department dental hygiene. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2010;10(5):402-9.
10. Kim SH. A study on the theoretical model of the role of the dental hygienist. J Korean Acad Dent Hgy 2000;2(1):1-21.
11. Kwan HS. (A) Comparative analysis of the existing curricular of dental hygiene departments in junior colleges[Master’s thesis]. Changwon: Univ. of Kyungnam, 1995.
12. Lee HS. Analysis of dental hygiene curriculum of dental hygiene programs in Korea. J Korean Acad Dent Hyg Educ 2009;9(4):808-23.
13. Park JH, Lee MJ, Goo HJ. Satisfaction towards clinical training institution according to clinical practice contents in the dental hygiene students. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2015:15(4):631-9. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2015.15.04.631
14. Choi GY, Lee HS. Analysis of the education objectives of the dental hygiene department from core competencies-based perspective. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2012;12(5):1049-58.
15. Lee G. Study of improvement of the nursing education in Lao P.D.R and Ghana : based on analysing with WHO nursing standard[Master’s thesis]. Seoul: Univ. of Yonsei, 2005.
16. Kim CJ, Ahn YH, Kim MW, Jeong YO, Lee JH. Development of standards and criteria for accreditation of a baccalaureate nursing education program: reflections on the unique characteristics of the nursing profession. J Korean Acad Nurs 2006;36(6):1002-11.
17. Shin S, Yang EB, Hwang E, Kim K, Kim Y, Jung D. Current status and future direction of nursing education for clinical practice. Korean Medical Education Review 2017;19(2):76-82.
18. National Council of State Boards of Nursing[Internet].National Council of State Boards of Nursing;2017. https//www.ncsbn.org/index
19. Ann B, Ann L, Pam S. The American dental hygienist’ association leads the profession into 21
20. st century worforce opportunites. J Evid Base Dent Pract 2016;16:4-10.  Lofmark A, wikblad KF. Facilitating and obstructing factors for development of learning in clinical practice: a student perspective. J Adv Nurs 2001;34(1):43-50.
21. Kang YJ, Jang GW. Research on the actual condition of consciousness that the students in Dept. of dental hygiene have about clinical training. J Korean Acad Dent Hyg Educ 2004;4(1):1-17.
22. Jang GW. A study on the contents and activities of clinical practice for students in the department of dental hygiene[Doctoral dissertation]. Jinju: Univ. of Gyeongsang, 2005.
23. Kim YS. A study about the satisfaction of dental hygiene students with clinical training places. J Korean Acad Oral Health 2010;34:543-52.
24. Jung ES. Focused on juniors majoring in dental hygiene at 'K' university in Kyonggi province and 'D' university in Kangwon province[Master’s thesis]. Seoul: Univ. of KyungHee, 2013.
25. Aha SH. Development of standardized clinical practice manual for trainees dental hygiene[Doctoral dissertation]. Seoul: Univ. of KyungHee, 2014.
26. Korean Dental Hygienist Association. Public hearing for establishment of certification system of dental hygiene education evaluation. 2014
27. Ministry of Health, Labor and Welfare. Guidelines for dental hygienist guidance. 2015. 3. 31.醫政発 0331 第 61 号 (uijeongbal 0331 No. 61). Tokyo: Ministry of Health, Labor and Welfare.
28. Lee HS, Chang KY, Woo HS, Yoon YY. Preliminary study of clinical traing stanrardization in occupational therapy. J Korean Soc Occup Ther 2014;22(3):37-56.
29. Kim KM, Lee MJ, Lee JS, Kang DH, Lee KS, Yoo EY. The survey of occupational therapy curriculum for the standards of education programs in Korea. J Korean Soc Occup Ther 2004;12(2):119-25.