This study investigates the overall research trends and related factors affecting the turnover of dental hygienists in Korea during the past 10 years (2007-2017) and analyzed the differences in the results of the research according to the main measurement tools. The literature review focused on turnover of dental hygienists in Korea. Inclusion criteria of selected studies were as follows: the domestic and foreign academic journals and theses published for the past 10 years (between 2007-2017). The most commonly used tool for measuring dental hygienist turnover was a tool developed by Lawler. The most used significant general characteristics is age and income, Job satisfaction (57.1%) and organizational commitment (40.0%) were the most frequently used predictors of turnover. The variables used for each turnover measurement tool were different, showing that the study results was different from according to the variables and significance level. Although there have been many studies related to the turnover of dental hygienists, different results have been shown depending on the measurement tools. When conducting research related to dental hygienist turnover, specific and clear presentation of measurement tool selection or development is needed.
1. Korean Statistical Information Service. Retrieved March 31, 2018, from: http://kosis.kr/statisticsList/statisticsListIndex.do?menuId=M_01_01&vwcd=MT_ZTITLE&parmTabId=M_01_01(2018, March 31).
2. Kim HY, Choi JO, Seong MG. The effect of self-efficacy and job satisfaction of dental hygienists`on the organizational commitment and turnover intention. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2012; 12(1):213-23.https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2012.12.1.213
3. National Health Personnel Licensing Examination Board: National examination pass rate by year. Retrieved March 31, 2018, from: http://www.kuksiwon.or.kr/publicity/Examstatistic.aspx?sitegnb=5&SiteLnb=(2018, March 31).
4. Yoon MS. Suggestions for settlement stable employment culture of dental hygienist. J Dent Hyg Sci 2017; 17(6):463-71. https://doi.org/10.17135/jdhs.2017.17.6.463
5. Kim JH, Kim HY, Lee SK, Cho YS, Park YD. A survey on working conditions and manpower among dental auxiliary personnel in dental clinics. J Korean Acad Dent Health 2008;32(4):540-50.
6. Hayes LJ, O’Brien-Pallas L, Duffield C, Shamian J, Buchan J, Hughes F, et al. Nurse turnover: A literature review. International Journal of Nursing Studies 2006;43(2):237-63. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijnurstu.2005.02.007
7. Han SY, Cho YC. Covariance structure analysis on the impact of job stress, fatigue symptoms and job satisfaction on turnover intention among dental hygienists. Korea Academia-Industrial Cooperation Society 2016;17(7):629-40. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2016.17.7.629
8. Lee BH, Kim JS. Analysis of the correlation of burnout, job satisfaction and turnover of dental hygienists. International Journal of Contents 2010;10(11):217-27. https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2010.10.11.217
9. Go EJ, Cho YH, Yoon HS. Relative factors intent to Leave for dental hygienists. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2009;9(4):1-19.
10. Choi HN, Bae HS, Cho YS. Effect of gap between expected job and performed job on turnover intention and job satisfaction in clinical dental hygienists. J Dent Hyg Sci 2011;11(5):463-9.
11. Choi MS, Ji DH. The comparative study on changes in job satisfaction and turnover intention according to the convergence mediating factors and the level of emotional labor in dental hygienists. Journal of the Korea Convergence Society 2015;6(6):27-34. https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2015.6.6.027
12. Song KH, Kim YJ. A study on the job satisfaction and turnover intention of the dental hygienists and nursing aids. J Korean Dent Assoc 2013;15(1):1-11.
13. Ji MG. Analysis of the correlation of job satisfaction, professionalism and turnover intention. Journal of Korea Entertainment Industry Association 2015;9(4):343-50. https://doi.org/10.21184/jkeia.2015.12.9.4.343
14. Jeong SB, Choi EM, Choi JS. The effects of emotional labor on burnout, turnover intention, and job satisfaction among clinical dental hygienists. J Korean Acad Oral Health 2014;38(1):50-8. https://doi.org/10.11149/jkaoh.2014.38.1.50
15. Kang MH, Jang SJ. Convergent relationship between emotional labor, burnout, job satisfaction and turnover intention in the dental hygienists. Journal of the Korea Convergence Society 2017;8(8):95-103. https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2017.8.8.095
16. Lee CS, Park SY, Park HM, You Y, Shin EK, Chae SI, et al. Influential job-related characteristics for the job satisfaction and turnover possibility of dental hygienists. J Dent Hyg Sci 2012;12(6):666-74.
17. Park YN, Choi YK, Ryu DY. Influence of organizational communication satisfaction on job satisfaction, organizational commitment, and turnover intention: focused on the mediated effects of interpersonal stress. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2015;15(5):797-804. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2015.15.05.797
18. Park EC. Impact of servant leadership perception on job satisfaction, organizational commitment and turnover intention of dental hygienists. Korean J Hosp Manage 2011:16(4): 1-16.
19. Jeon JH. Influence of humor sense on job satisfaction and turnover intention in clinical dental hygienists. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2014;14(6):821-30. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2014.14.06.821
20. Yun HK, Choi MS, Choi GY. Effect of mentoring function on job satisfaction, organization commitment, and turnover intention in the newly employed dental hygienists. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2016;16(1):69-75. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2016.16.01.69
21. Lee CS, Lim SH, Han JH. The effect of the intramural marketing activities in dental hygienist` on job Satisfaction and turnover intention in dental hygienist. J Dent Hyg Sci 2012;12(1):15-22.
22. Ju OJ, Kim KS, Lee HO. Analysis of the correlation of job satisfaction to turnover among dental hygienists in the region of J. J Dent Hyg Sci 2007;7(4):251-6.
23. Choi HN, Lim SR, Cho YS. Factors associated with turnover intention of dental hygienist. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2010;10(6):973-81.
24. Kim JS. The factors determining the intention and practical action of job change of dental hygienist. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2007;13(1):101-5.
25. Min HH, Jeon JH, Kim YS. Influencing factors of turnover intention in the clinical dental hygienists. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2015;15(5):831-9. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2015.15.05.831
26. Lee SM, Choi YJ, Han GS, Kim CH. Influencing factors of turnover intention of dental hygienists using by the path analysis. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2013;13(6):941-9. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2013.13.06.941
27. Min HH, Kim YS. Factors influencing turnover intention in new dental hygienists. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2016;16(6):1047-55. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2016.16.06.1047
28. Choi HN, Lee JW, Cho YS. Factors associated with turnover intention of public health dental hygienist. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2011;11(3):343-51.
29. Kim YK, Kwon HJ. The influence of job stress and job satisfaction on turnover intention for male dental hygienists. J Dent Hyg Sci 2016;16(2):142-9. https://doi.org/10.17135/jdhs.2016.16.2.142