Department of Dental Hygiene, Hanyang Women’s University1
Objectives: This study aims to provide fundamental data on seeking more effective programs for metabolic syndrome patients’ oral health by researching their knowledge, attitude and behaviors on oral health and considering the effects each factor has on the oral health impact profile. Methods: The research was conducted on 155 patients with metabolic syndrome who visited the metabolic syndrome center of S district between July 19th, 2016 and August27th, 2016. Results: When the subjects had experiences of oral treatment within the past year, which indicated lower quality of life in relation to oral health. Oral health knowledge had a positive correlation with oral health attitude (0.241) and oral health behaviors (0.362), had a negative correlation with oral health impact profile (-0.283). Oral health attitude showed a positive correlation with oral health behaviors (0.476) (p<0.001). Conclusions: By conducting a oral health promotion business among metabolic syndrome patients including a oral care and treatment program which aim to enhance the oral knowledge, attitude and behaviors and comprehensively manage the oral health education program, it is expected that their quality of life related to oral health could be further improved.
 Jang HS. The relationship between merabolic syndrome, its components, and cancer incidence in Korean[Doctoral dissertation]. Ulsan: Univ. of Ulsan, 2012.
2.  Ervin RB. Prevalence of metabolic syndrome among adult 20 years of age and over, by sex, race and ethnicity, and body mass index: United States, 2003-2006. National Health Stat Report 2009;5(13):1-7.
3.  Park HS, O SU, Kang JH, Park YU, Choe JM, Kim YS, et al. Prevalence and associated factors with metabolic syndrome in south korea -from the korean national health and nutrition examination survey, 1998. J Korean Soc study Obes 2003;12 (1):1-14.
4.  Earl SF, Wayne HG, William HD. Prevalence of the metabolic syndrome among US adults: findings from the third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. JAMA 2002;287(3):356-9. https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.287.3.356
5.  Lym YL, Hwang SW, Whim HJ, Oh EH, Chang YS, Cho BL. Prevalence and risk factors of the metabolic stndrome as defined by NCEP-ATP Ⅲ. J Korean Acad Fam Med 2003;24:135-43.
6.  Kim SS. The relationship between metabolic syndrome and oral health status of korean adults[Doctoral dissertation]. Seoul: Univ. of Hanyang, 2014.
7.  Khader Y, Khassawneh B, Obeidat B, Hammad M, El-Salem K, Bawadi H, et al. Periodontal status of patient with metabolic syndrome compared to those without metabolic syndrome. J Periodontology 2008;79(11):2048-53. https://doi.org/10.1902/jop.2008.080022
8.  Shimazaki Y, Saito T, Yonemoto K, Kiyohara Y, Iida M, Yamashita Y. Relationship ofmetabolic syndrone to periodontal disease in japanese womex :the hysayama study. J Dent Res 2007;86(3):271-5. https://doi.org/10.1177/154405910708600314
9.  Kushiyama M, Shimazaki Y, Yamashita Y. Relationship between metabolic syndrone and periodontal disease in Japanese adults. J Periodontology 2009;80(10):1610-5. https://doi.org/10.1902/jop.2009.090218
10.  Kang HJ. A study on periodontal disease and tooth loss in metabolic syndrome patient. J Dent Hyg Sci 2015;15(4):445-56. https://dx.doi.org/10.17135/jdhs.2015.15.4.445
11.  Slade GD, Spencer AJ. Development and evaluation of the Oral Health Impact Profile. Community Dent Health 1994;11(1):3-11.
12.  Choi HS, Hwang SH, Ahn SY, Sim SH, Choi BK, Kong YM, et al. Oral health knowledge, attitude, behavior in middle and high school students and needs for oral health education. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2011;11(4):533-46.
13.  Jung JO. Effects of metabolic syndrome on periodontal diseases in korean adults. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2012;12(3):245-52.
14.  Park YA, Jeong SH, Yoon SH, Choi YH, Song KB. Association between general health and oral health among the elderly in Pohang city. J Korea Acad Dent Health 2006;16(2):93-104.
15.  Lee DI. The effect of oral health knowledge, attitude, behavior and self-perceived oral symptoms on oral health-related quality of life in worker[Master's thesis]. Incheon: Univ. of Gachon, 2013.
16.  Kim JH, Yoo JH. Knowledge, practice, and awareness toward oral health in the special school teachers. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2014;14(5):731-8. https://dx.doi.org/10.13085/jksdh.2014.14
17.  Park JR, Lee YK. Research on the subjective status of oral cavity's health following senoor citizen' characteristics. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2009;9(3):344-56.
18.  Park IS, Kim JS, Choi MH. A study on oral health knowledge, behavior and practice among elderly people in some regions. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2010;10(2):413-22
19.  Noh EM. A study of hospitalized patierts knowledge and practice of oral health. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2007;7(3):247-58.
20.  Yoo JS, Kim JH, Han SH, Sim SH, Kim YS. A descriptive study of oral hea1th knowledge & behaviors in middle school students. J Korean Soc for Sch Health Education 2008;9(1):85-97.
21.  Kim JH. The effect of oral health on total health and quality of life[Master's thesis]. Daegu: Univ. of Keimyung, 2007.
22.  Acharya S+, Bhat PV, Acharya S. Factors affecting oral health-related quality of life among pregnant women. Int J Dent Hyg 2009;7(2):102-7. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1601_5037.2008.00351
23.  Lee EG, Park JH, Park JR, Park JY. A study on OHIP-14 and EQ-5D of residents in some rural areas. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2011;11(2):197-211.
24.  Ahn KS. Relationship between elders oral health realities and social support and physical function [Doctoral dissertation]. Daejeon: Univ. of Chungnam National, 2009.
25.  Lee GR. A study of oral health impact profile 14 among the elderly in rural area. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2010;10(2):109-16.
26.  Park SH, Yoon HS. Subjective awareness and the quality of life erlated to oral health in industrial workers. J Dent Hyg Sci 2012;12(4):235-43.
27.  Choi JS, Lee YJ, Jeon SB, Kim HM, Jeong EH, Jo EJ. The association between self-reported oral health problems and oral health-related quality of life. J Korean Acad Dent Health 2010;34:411-21.
28.  Ko SY, Kim JB, Moon HS, Paik DL. A study on the knowledge, oponions and practices about oral health of workers in Korea. J Korean Acad Oral Health 1999;23(2):95-111.
29.  Lee DI, Han SJ. Factors which affect the oral health-related quality of life of workers. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2013;13(4):480-86.
30.  Lee YS. The effect of oral health knowledge and oral health practice on the DMFT and the oral health related quality of life[Master's thesis]. Gimhae: Univ. of Inje, 2010.