Department of Dental Hygiene, Masan University1
Objectives: The purpose of the study is to investigate the opinions of some local clinical dental hygienists on medical personnel of dental hygienists. it will be for provide the Future dental hygienist basic data necessary for medical personnel. Methods: A self-reported questionnaire was completed by 171 dental hygienists in Busan and Gyeongnam from December 1, 2017 to January 31, 2018. Structured questionnaires were uesd for analysis. The questionnaire consisted of general characteristics of the subjects(7 items), medical personnel necessity and opinions of dental hygienist(2 items), the opinions of distinction of the task between dental hygienists and other personnel(2 items), many frequency task in the dental clinic. The collected data were analyzed using frequency, percentage, descriptive statistics and ANOVA using IBM SPSS VER 20.0. Results: 89.5% of the dental hygienists required medical personnel of dental hygienist, the opinions on the necessity were as follows: 'role and quality improvement as oral health professionals', 'lack of legislation and application of dental hygienists duties'. There was no difference reason between dental hygienists and other personnel on duties, the reason were investigated to uncertainty of dental hygienist system, lack of dental hygienist workforce, dentists lack awareness of dental hygienist expertise. There was surveyed by the current many frequency duties in the dental clinic, assist for dental treatment, Oral health education and counselling, Preventive dental treatment. Conclusion: As a result, Legal guarantees for clinical dental hygienists work are absolutely required. Therefore, relevant government agencies and related organizations should resolve the contradiction of the legal system of medical law and medical technicians. The clinical dental hygienists should be promoted to medical personnel through the amendment of the medical law so that the duties practiced by the dental hygienist can be matched with the legal practice.
 Kim OF, Kim YK. A study on marketing for customer statisfaction of dental hospitals and clinic. J Kor Dent Assoc 2010;48:127-39.
2.  Kwon HG. The reality of their work and development strategies of a dental hygienist. J Korean Den Assoc 2002;40:969-70.
3.  Shin SH, Gang JO, Kim GH, Kim GE, Kim JS, Kim JH, et al Clinical dental health insurance. 7nd ed. Seoul: DaehanNarae; 2018: 176-230
4.  Kim YS, Shin MW. A study on the current state and weight of dental hygienists, works. J Korean Acad Dent Hyg Edu 2008;8:161-75.
5.  Naver[Internet]. National Assembly Library; [cite 2018 Dem 20]. Available from: http://dlps.nanet.go.kr/SearchList.do.
6.  Kang BW, Go MH, Gu IY, Kim GY, Kim BN, Kim YG, et al. Medical laws for dental hygienist. 14th ed. Seoul: Komoonsa; 2017: 255-56.
7.  Dentalk. News. Various kind of dental hygienist such as buses and spread of SNS[Internet].[cite 2018 August 11]. Available from: https://news.kdha.or.kr/news/articleView.html?idxno=7410.
8.  Dentalk. News. Dental hygienist actively promotes medical personnel[Internet].[cite 2018 July 11].Available from: https://news.kdha.or.kr/news/articleView.html?idxno=7865.
9.  Hyeong JH, Jang YJ. The opinions of health care workers on the inclusion of dental hygienists in the category of medical personnel. J Korean Soc Den Hyg 2017;917:1013-24. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2017.17.06.1013.
10.  Kim SY, Yoon GR, Kang DH, Kim SJ, Lee SE, Jang SB, et al. Analysis of trade newspapers related to dental hygienists as healthcare professionals using language analysis technique: using R program. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2017;17:921-30. http://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2017.17.05.921.
11.  Shin SJ, Son JH, Choi YG, Ryu DY, Ma DS. A study on the estimation of the number of dental hygienist and their practice. J Dent Hyg Sci 2007;7:25-30.
12.  Kim BH. Dentist's opinions for the roles of the dental hygienist at Korean dental clinics[Master’s thesis]. Seoul: Univ. of Dankook, 2015.
13.  Dentalk. News. Dental hygienist medical print urges to revise medical law[Internet].[cite 2018 July 25].Available from: https://news.kdha.or.kr/news/articleView.html?idxno=7630
14.  Kim SI, Jun MK, Lee SM. Need of revision of dental hygienist-related medical law. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2016:16:677-85.https://dx.doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2016.16.05.677.
15.  Choi YR, Seo HY, Ryu ej, Choi EM. Dental hygienists' awareness of medical technician jurisprudence. J Dent Hyg Sci 2016;16:495-501. https://doi.org/10.17135/jdhs.2016.16.6.495.
16.  Korean Dental Hygienists Association. About dental hygiene[Internet].[cite 2018 July 13]. Available from: http://www.kdha.or.kr/introduce/dentalhygienist.aspx#introduce,
17.  Korean Society of Dental Hygiene. About dental hygiene[Internet].[cite 2018 October 13]. Available from: http://www.ksdh.or.kr/2017/bbs/board.php?bo_table=sub_07_05
18.  Cho YH. Recognition of the job jurisdiction and job satisfaction of the dental hygienists and nursing aids[Master’s thesis]. Gyeonggi-do: Univ. of Kyungwon, 2007.
19.  Folke BD, Walton JL, Feigal RJ. Occlusal sealant success over ten years in a private practice; comparing longevity of sealants placed by dentists, hygienist, and assistants. pediatr Dent 2004;26(5):426-32.
20.  Lee SJ, Cho HY. Work reality of dental assistant. Korea Convergence Society 2015;6(4):153-59. https://dx.doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2015.6.4.153.
21.  Statistics Korea. Korean Statistical Infomation service(KOSIS), Statistics DB[Internet][cited 2018 July 30]. Available from: http://kosis.kr/statisticList/statisticsList_01List.jsp?vwcd=MT_ZTITLE& parmTabId=M_01_01#SubCont.)