Department of Dental Hygiene, Kwangju Women's University1
Objectives: The purpose of this study was to compare the author key words and MeSH (Medical Subject Headings) terms in the Journal of Korean Society of Dental Hygiene (JKSDH). Methods: A total of 3,242 author key words from 974 informative articles published from 2001 to 2015 were compared with MeSH terms, according to the criteria of complete coincidence, incomplete coincidence, and complete non-coincidence. Results: The coincidence rate of 564 author key words with MeSH terms was 17.4%. The author key words that appeared most frequently (in descending order) were oral health (41 times), dental hygienists (30 times), dental caries (29 times), and knowledge (29 times). There was a non-coincidence rate of 70.5% for 2,286 author key words with MeSH terms. Conclusions: Many author key words used in the JKSDH did not coincide with MeSH terms. The use of author key words that coincide with MeSH terms is necessary to accomplish the international journal.
 Sackett DL, Rosenberg WM, Gray JA, Haynes RB, Richardson WS. Evidence based medicine: what it is and what it isn't. Brit Med J 1996;312(7023):71-2.
2.  Hjørland B. Evidence based practice: An analysis based on the philosophy of science. J Am Soc Inf Sci Technol 2011;62(7):1301-10.
3.  Roh JS. The comparison of keyword of articles in journal of the Korean society of physical medicine with MeSH. J Korean Soc Phys Med 2012;7(3):367-77.
4.  Kim EK, Kim YJ, Kim CH, Park MS, Ahn GS, Yun MS, et al. Dental hygiene standard education and development. Seoul: Korean Dental Hygienists Association·Korean Association Dental Hygiene Professors; 2005: 1-239.
5.  Jang JH, Won BY, Jang GW, Kim SK, Oh SH, Kim YJ, et al. Trend analysis of research in the Journal of Korean Society Dental Hygiene from 2001 to 2015. Daejeon: Korean Soc Dent Hyg; 2017: 1-43.
6.  Park BC. Evidence based medicine in spine surgery. J Korean Soc Spine Surg 2011;18:174-8.
7.  Schunemann HJ, Bone L. Evidence-based orthopaedics: a primer. Clin Orthop Relat Res 2003;413:117-32.
8.  Kim YY, Park HJ, Lee SW, Yoo JH. Comparison of keywords of the journal of sasang constitutional medicine with MeSH terms. J Sasang Constitut Med 2013;25(1):34-42. https://doi.org/10.7730/JSCM.2013.25.1.34
9.  Varghese RA, Dhawale AA, Zavaglia BC, Slobogean BL, Mulpuri K. Citation classics in pediatric orthopaedics. J Pediatr Orthop 2013;33(6):667-71. https://doi:10.1097/BPO.0b013e318296dfb6
10.  Cassar Gheiti AJ, Downey RE, Byrne DP, Molony DC, Mulhall KJ. The 25 most cited articles in arthroscopic orthopaedic surgery. Arthroscopy 2012;28(4):548-64. https://doi:10.1016/j.arthro.2011.08.312
11.  Womack KR. Conformity for conformity’ sake? The choice of a classification system and a subject heading. System in Academic Health Science Libraries. Cataloging & Classification Quarterly 2006;42(1):93-115.
12.  Chaung SK, Sohng KY, Kim KH. Comparison of key words of the journal of Korean academy of fundamentals of nursing with MeSH (2003-2007). J Korean Acad Fundam Nurs 2008;15(4):558-65.
13.  Jang JH, Won BY, Jang GW, Kim SA, Oh SH, Kim YJ, et al. Trend analysis of research in the journal of Korean society dental hygiene from 2001 to 2015, J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2017;17(4):693-704. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2017.17.04.693]
14.  Park SH, Park KY. Coincidence analysis of key words and MeSH terms in the journal of the Korean society of occupational therapy. J Korean Soc Occup Thera 2011;19(4):131-46.
15.  Kang BW, Ahn SY, Kim SK, Yoo YS, Yoo EM, Lee SM. The research trends of papers in the journal of Korean society of dental hygiene. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2010;10(6):991-1000.
16.  Kim EH, Kim AH, Shim YS, Ahn ES, Jeon EY, An SY. The equality of keywords of journal of KAPD with medical subject headings. J Korean Acad Pediatr Dent 2016;43(2):123-8. https://doi.org/10.5933/JKAPD.2016.43.2.123
17.  Lee CS, Moon HY. A comparison study of subject words of Korean medical journal papers: Author keywords vs MeSH terms assigned by MEDLINE. J Korea Soc Inform Manage 2000;17(3):109-24.
18.  Cho JS, Lee MJ. Coincidence analysis of key words and MeSH terms in the journal of the Korean society of emergency medicine. J Korean Soc Emer Med 2009;20(6):722-8.
19.  Clarke M, Greaves L, James S. MeSH terms must be used in Medline searches. BMJ 1997;314(7088):1203.
20.  Kwon AK, Chae YM. The study on subjcet words of Korean medical infromatics by expanded MeSH: Based on journal of Korean society of medical informatics. Healthcare Inform Res 2002;8(4):1-11.
21.  Hwang G, Seo MS, Lee SI. The coincidence of the english keywords with medical subject headings(MeSH) in the journal of Korean society of plastic and reconstructive surgeons(JKSPRS). Arch Plastic Sur 2002;29(5):464-8.
22.  Kim BS, Kim SY. The coincidence of the English keywords of the journal of Korean academy of family medicine with MeSH and selection validity. J Korean Acad Fam Med 1998;19(7):531-7.
23.  Kim JH, Park HY. Analysing English subject headings of nursing science journals with MeSH. J Korean Soc Med Inform 2001;7(4):93-102.
24.  Kim DY, Lee MH, Choi MS. Comparison and analysis of keywords in the Korean ophthalmic optics society articles to MeSH terms. J Korean Ophthalmic Opt Soc 2016;21(2):83-90. https://doi.org/10.14479/jkoos.2016.21.2.83
25.  Kang KB, Kim JH, Kim YB, Kim JK, Shin SM. Use of medical subject headings (MeSH) in the journal of the Korean orthopaedic association. J Korean Orthop Assoc 2014;49:302-6. https://doi.org/10.4055/jkoa.2014.49.4.302
26.  Jeong GH, Ahn YM, Cho DS. Coincidence analysis of keywords of the journal of Korean academy of nursing with MeSH. J Korean Acad Nurs 2005;35(7):1420-5.