Department of Dental Hygiene, Kwangju Women's university1
Objectives: The purpose of this study was to contribute to the provision of a safe practice environment and practical sexual harassment prevention education for dental hygiene students who practice clinically. Methods: A total of 260 students with experience in clinical practice at dental hygiene colleges and universities in Gwangju and Jeonnam was included in this study. From May 1, 2018 to June 30, 2018, subjects were surveyed about sexual harassment experience, sexual harassment related information, self-esteem, and self-assertiveness. Statistical analysis was performed by frequency analysis, independent t-test, Mann-Whitney test, one way ANOVA, Pearson’s correlation analysis, and multiple regression analysis. Results: In the sexual harassment survey revealed that 64.3% of offenders were patients and 50.0% of the offenders were in their 40s. A total of 78.6% of the offenders reported harassment in hospital type “dental clinics.” Most respondents disclosed that “I did not do anything” (60.7%). Psychologically, 75.0% felt “shame and insult.” Self-esteem was high in the fourth grade (3.68). Self-esteem and self-assertiveness were higher among those with no sexual harassment experiences (131.77 and 132.81, respectively; p<0.05). Correlation analysis indicated that self-esteem and self-assertiveness were correlated (r=0.509, p<0.01). Factors influencing the perception of sexual harassment include: three to four months of clinical practice (β=0.361), experience of sexual harassment (β=-0.551), and self-esteem (β=0.503). Conclusions: It is necessary to provide systematic and diverse information to address sexual harassment. A proper perception of what constitute sexual harassment in clinical practice is also relevant. Furthermore, practical sexual harassment prevention education program should be developed and implemented.
 National law information center[Internet].[cited 2018 Sep 20]. Available from: http://www.law.go.kr/lsEfInfoP.do?lsiSeq=172256#.
2.  A study on the reality of sexual harassment in 2015. Ministry of Gender Equality and Family 2015.
3.  Jung YK. Survey of sexual harassment experienced by beauty care workers and factor analysis based on their awareness[Master's thesis]. Busan: Univ. of Youngsan, 2015.
4.  Oh HN, Won YS. Study of dental hygienists` recognition and experiences about sexual harassment in the workplace. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2017;7(3):419-29. https://doi.org/1013065/jkdh.2017.17.03.419
5.  Lee SH, Lee SM. The study of harassment at workplace and related variables. Fam Environ Res 2001;39(2):41-96.
6.  Lea PS, Pamela HL. The extent and effects of sexual harassment on working women. Sociological Focus 1984;17(1):31-43. https://doi.org/10.1080/00380237.1984.10570460
7.  Lee SK, Song JE, Kim S. Experience and perception of sexual harassment during the clinical practice of Korean nursing students. Asian Nurs Res 2011;5(3):170-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anr.2011.09.003
8.  Bell ME, Turchik JA, Karpenko JA. Impact of gender on reactions to military sexual assaults and harassment. Health Soc Work 2014;39(1):25-33. https://doi.org/10.1093/hsw/hlu004
9.  Kim JS, Kim HS, Kim KH. Experience of sexual harassment and coping behaviors among caregivers in nursing homes. J Korean gerontol Nurs 2013;15(1):21-31.
10.  Park GJ, Jung HM, Kim MK. Sexual harasment of nurses in long-term care hospitals. Korean J heal serv Manag 2014;8(4):95-107. https://doi.org/10.12811/kshsm.2014.8.4.095
11.  Celik SS, Bayraktar N. A study of nursing student abuse in Turkey. J Nurs Educ 2004;43(7):330-6.
12.  Kim YY. The perception and actual experiences of sexual harrassment among nursing college students[Master's thesis]. Daegu: Univ. of Kyungpook National, 2014.
13.  McKenna L, Boyle M. Midwifery student exposure to workplace violence in clinical settings: An exploratory study. Nurse Educ Pract 2016;17:123-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nepr.2015.11.004
14.  Kim SJ. Awareness levels and influencing factors of sexual harassment among dental hygiene students. J Contents Assoc 2015;15(2):352-62. https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2015.15.02.352
15.  Park EK, Na YK. A study on verbal abuse experience, sexual harassment damages and self-esteem of operating room nurse. Korean J Sci Crim Inves 2015;9(4):266-74. https://doi.org/10.20297/jsci.2015.9.4.266
16.  Im DJ. A study on cognition of sexual harassment in workplaces[Master's thesis]. Seoul: Univ. of Kookmin, 1999.
17.  Rosenberg M. Society and the adolescent self-image. Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press; 1965: 326. https://doi.org/10.1515/9781400876136
18.  Rathus SA. A 30-item schedule for assessing assertive behavior. Behav Ther 1973;4(3):398-406. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0005-7894(73)80120-0
19.  Park YB. A study of psychosocial damage of college woman on sexual harassment[Master's thesis]. Chuncheon: Univ. of Hallym, 2002.
20.  Kim TI, Kwon YJ, Kim MJ. Experience and perception of sexual harassment during the clinical practice and self-esteem among nursing students. Korean J Women Health Nurs 2017;23(1):21-32. https://doi.org/10.4069/kjwhn.2017.23.1.21
21.  Woo JA. Emotional responses, coping and social support for verbal abuse, sexual harassment, physical threats experienced by nursing students in clinical training[Doctoral dissertation]. Busan: Univ. of Pusan National, 2017.
22.  Lee YR, Kim KM, Choi SE. Awareness levels and influencing factors of sexual harassment and gender egalitarianism among college students. J Korean Acad Community Health Nurs 2013;24(1):40-50. https://doi.org/10.12799/jkachn.2013.24.1.40