Department of Dental Hygiene, College of Health Science, Gachon University1
Objectives: The aim of this study was to confirm health behaviors that affect periodontal health status. Based on these results, we also intended to provide information for the prevention of gingivitis prior to periodontitis and establish strategies for maintaining healthy periodontal tissues. Methods: Data for this descriptive study were extracted from the Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey 2013–2015. A total of 2,710 adults, aged 19-39 years were included in this study. Complex logistic regression analyses were performed to confirm relationships between health behaviors and periodontal health, after adjusting for socio-demographics, oral and systemic health status. Results: Dental clinic visits (odd ratio [OR] = 1.761, 95% confidence interval [CI]; 1.391-2.229), use of floss (OR = 1.504, 95% CI; 1.213-1.865), and non-smoking (OR = 1.269, 95% CI; 1.040-1.549) were found to support periodontal health. Conclusions: Dental visits for continued professional oral health care, self-oral care including interdental flossing, and a non-smoking habit, are necessary for periodontal health maintenance. Additionally, the results suggest that physical activities such as regular walking can help. These methods should be considered as the primary preventative care strategies for minimizing the occurrence of gingival inflammation.
 Socransky SS, Haffajee AD. The bacterial etiology of destructive periodontal disease: current concepts. J Periodontol 1992;63:322-31. https://doi.org/10.1902/jop.1992.63.4s.322
2.  Armitage GC. Development of a classification system for periodontal diseases and conditions. Ann Periodontol 1999;4(1):1-6. https://doi.org/10.1902/annals.19188.8.131.52
3.  Kassebaum NJ, Bernabe E, Dahiya M, Bhandari B, Murray CJ, Marcenes W. Global burden of severe tooth loss: a systematic review and meta-analysis. J Dent Res 2014;93:20S-28S. https://doi.org/10.1177/0022034514537828
4.  Kassebaum NJ, Bernabe E, Dahiya M, Bhandari B, Murray CJ, Marcenes W. Global burden of severe periodontitis in 1990-2010: a systematic review and meta-regression. J Dent Res 2014;93(11):1045-53. https://doi: 10.1177/0022034514552491
5.  Bascones-Martinez A, Gonzalez-Febles J, Sanz-Esporrin J. Diabetes and periodontal disease. Review of the literature. Am J Dent 2014;27(2):63-7.
6. Liljestrand JM, Paju S, Pietiäinen M, Buhlin K, Persson GR, Nieminen MS, et al. Immunologic burden links periodontitis to acute coronary syndrome. Atherosclerosis 2018;268:177-84. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.atherosclerosis.2017.12.007  Kim EJ, Jin BH, Bae KH. Periodontitis and obesity: a study of the Fourth Korean National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. J Periodontol 2011;82(4):533-42. https://doi.org/10.1902/jop.2010.100274
7.  Kim EJ, Jin BH, Bae KH. Periodontitis and obesity: a study of the Fourth Korean National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. J Periodontol 2011;82(4):533-42. https://doi.org/10.1902/jop.2010.100274
8.  Nazir MA. Prevalence of periodontal disease, its association with systemic diseases and prevention. Int J Health Sci (Qassim) 2017;11(2):72-80.
9.  Loe H, Theilade E, Jensen SB. Experimental gingivitis in man. J Periodontol 1965;36 :177-87. https://doi.org/10.1902/jop.19184.108.40.206
10.  Chapple IL, Van der Weijden F, Doerfer C, Herrera D, Shapira L, Polak D, et al. Primary prevention of periodontitis: managing gingivitis. J Clin Periodontol 2015;42(16):S71-6. https://doi.org/10.1111/jcpe.12366
11.  Oswal KC. A common risk approach for oral health promotion and prevention. Indian J Dent Res 2010;21(2):157. https://doi.org/10.4103/0970-9290.66623
12.  Gomez MV, Toledo A, Carvajal P, Gomes SC, Costa RSA, Solanes F, et al. A multicenter study of oral health behavior among adult subjects from three South American cities. Braz Oral Res 2018;32:e22. https://doi.org/10.1590/1807-3107bor-2018.vol32.0022
13.  Leite FRM, Nascimento GG, Baake S, Pedersen LD, Scheutz F, Lopez R. Impact of smoking cessation on periodontitis: a systematic review and meta-analysis of prospective longitudinal observational and interventional studies. Nicotine Tob Res. 2018 [In press]. https://doi.org/10.1093/ntr/nty147
14.  Al-Zahrani MS, Borawski EA, Bissada NF. Increased physical activity reduces prevalence of periodontitis. J Dent 2005;33(9):703-10. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jdent.2005.01.004
15.  Schatzle M, Loe H, Burgin W, Anerud A, Boysen H, Lang NP. Clinical course of chronic periodontitis. I. Role of gingivitis. J Clin Periodontol 2003;30(10):887-901.
16.  Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. The Sixth Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey(KNHANES Ⅵ). Cheongju: Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention; 2015: 3-38,153-177.
17.  Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Guidelines of the Sixth Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey(KNHANES Ⅵ): health examination. Cheongju: Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention; 2015:35-112,167-218.
18.  Addy M, Dummer PM, Griffiths G, Hicks R, Kingdon A, Shaw WC. Prevalence of plaque, gingivitis and caries in 11–12‐year‐old children in South Wales. Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 1986;14(2):115-8.
19.  Kumar S, Tadakamadla J, Johnson NW. Effect of toothbrushing frequency on incidence and increment of dental caries: a systematic review and meta-analysis. J Dent Res 2016;95(11):1230-6. https://doi.org/10.1177/0022034516655315
20. Yamane-Takeuchi M, Ekuni D, Mizutani S, Kataoka K, Taniguchi-Tabata A, Azuma T, et al. Associations among oral health-related quality of life, subjective symptoms, clinical status, and self-rated oral health in Japanese university students: a cross-sectional study. BMC Oral Health 2016;16(1):127. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12903-016-0322-9
21.  Poklepovic T, Worthington HV, Johnson TM, Sambunjak D, Imai P, Clarkson JE, et al. Interdental brushing for the prevention and control of periodontal diseases and dental caries in adults. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2013;(12):Cd009857. https://doi.org/10.1002/14651858.CD009857.pub2
22. Sambunjak D, Nickerson JW, Poklepovic T, Johnson TM, Imai P, Tugwell P, et al. Flossing for the management of periodontal diseases and dental caries in adults. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2011;(12):Cd008829. https://doi.org/10.1002/14651858.CD008829.pub2
23.  Bourgeois D, Saliasi I, Llodra JC, Bravo M, Viennot S, Carrouel F. Efficacy of interdental calibrated brushes on bleeding reduction in adults: a 3-month randomized controlled clinical trial. Eur J Oral Sci 2016;124(6):566-71. https://doi.org/10.1111/eos.12302
24.  Ashwath B, Vijayalakshmi R, Arun D, Kumar V. Site-based plaque removal efficacy of four branded toothbrushes and the effect of dental floss in interproximal plaque removal: a randomized examiner-blind controlled study. Quintessence Int 2014;45(7):577-84. https://doi.org/10.3290/j.qi.a31960
25.  Salzer S, Slot DE, Van der Weijden FA, Dorfer CE. Efficacy of inter-dental mechanical plaque control in managing gingivitis--a meta-review. J Clin Periodontol 2015;42 Suppl 16:S92-105. https://doi.org/10.1111/jcpe.12363
26.  Yun SH, Suh CJ. The effects of the scaling health insurance coverage expansion policy on the use of dental services among patients with gingivitis and periodontal diseases. Korean J Health Econ Policy 2016;22(2):143-62.
27.  Armitage GC, Xenoudi P. Post-treatment supportive care for the natural dentition and dental implants. Periodontol 2000 2016;71(1):164-84. https://doi.org/10.1111/prd.12122
28.  U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. Physical activity and health: a report of the surgeon general. Atlanta, GA: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion;1996 :81-144.
29.  Needleman I, McGrath C, Floyd P, Biddle A. Impact of oral health on the life quality of periodontal patients. J Clin Periodontol 2004;31