Department of Dental Hygiene, Wonkwang Health Science University1
Objectives: The purpose of this study was to establish a relationship among oral health perception, practicality, and the health-promoting lifestyle profile (HPLP) of soldiers, to finalize the oral health education content to be offered to military personnel under military service and explore remedial measures. Methods: The subjects included military soldiers older than 19 years of age in the Chungnam province. The study instrument was a structured questionnaire evaluating the general characteristics, HPLP, oral health perception, and oral health practice. Data were analyzed using one way analysis of variance (ANOVA), Kruskal-Wallis ANOVA, Pearson correlation, and multiple regression analysis. Results: The HPLP evaluation of the soldiers was 3.39, and the group with the higher HPLP level showed better oral health recognition and oral health practice, with a statistically significant difference. There were differences in oral health perception, tooth brushing practice, and oral health education interest depending on the level of education and stratum of the soldier. The higher the soldier's HPLP, the higher were the oral health perception and oral health practice. The factors affecting the HPLP were oral health perception, tooth brushing practice, and interest in oral health education. Conclusions: After the military discharge, it is necessary to devise ways that will enhance oral health perception and practices that promote good oral health and lifestyle.
 Kang MK, Seo HY, Choi YR. The convergence effect of oral behavior on oral health related quality of soldiers. Journal of the Korea Convergence Society 2017;8(9);151-9. https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2017.8.9.151
2.  Yoon JH, Lee MS, Na JB. Knowledge, attitude and practice related to dental health among some Korean soldiers. Korean Public Health Research 2005;31(1):86-96.
3.  Jung HY, Jung MA. A study on the state of oral health care among military men: the case of army and the navy. J Dent Hyg Sci 2007;13(1):43-59.
4.  Kookbangilbo. army life[Internet]. Kookbangilbo; [cited 2013 Jan 5]. Available from: http://kookbang.dema.mil.kr/kookbangWeb/m/view.do?ntt_writ_date=20070919&parent_no=3&bbs_id=BBSMSTR_000000000127&nav=6&nav2=3
5.  Seo HJ. Problems and improvement issues of military obigation business. Seoul: National Assembly Budget Office; 2012: 43-50.
6.  Yoo JS, Kim J, Kim KE. The effects of some soldiers’ stress on their oral healthcare practice and attitudes. J Dent Hyg Sci 2009;9(4):369-74.
7.  Yoo JH, Kim JH. The oral health care research according to the rank of soldiers and officers. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2013;13(1):105-13.
8.  Cho MJ, Park YM. A study of oral health status and oral health promotion activities according to the snack intake frequency change of some soldiers compare to before and after military service. J Dent Hyg Sci 2016;16(1):1-8. https://doi.org/10.17135/jdhs.2016.16.1.1
9.  Kang MK, Seo HY, Choi YR. The convergence effect of oral behavior on oral health related quality of soldiers. J Korean Chem Soc 2017;8(9):151-9. https://doi.org/10.15207/jkcs.2017.8.9.151
10.  Jang SO, Kim YH, Kang JY, Ko MS, Kim BY, Park JH. et al. Smoking patterns, oral health behavior and perception of the south Korean army. J Dent Hyg Sci 2010;10(3):131-9.
11.  Jeon MJ, Hwang SH. A study on actual smoking condition, knowledge, attitude and practice related to dental health of Korean soldiers. J Korean Acad Dental Hygiene Education 2010;10(2):243-54.
12.  Kim HS, Shin B, Goh EJ, Kim SO, Jo HS, Park SE. et al. Awareness towards oral health environmental changes and oral health in smokers and non-smokers in soldiers. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2014;14(1):1-8. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2014.14.01.1
13.  Kim SS, Kim YS, Jeong MH, Shim HS. Correlation between oral health status and smoking in soldiers. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2014;14(3):327-32. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2014.14.03.327
14.  Lee MR, Shim JS. Self-perception of halitosis according to some soldiers’ halitosis-related factors. The Korean journal of health service management 2013;7(3):125-35. https://doi.org/10.12811/kshsm.2013.7.3.125
15.  Han SY, Song KS, Ryu DY. Oral health concern and oral healthcare recognition of some soldiers. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2012;12(5):1007-15.
16.  Kim SJ, Lee BJ. A association between self-reported oral health and oral health status among Korean male soldiers aged 18-24. J Korean Acad Oral Health 2012;36(4):282-8. https://doi.org/10.11149/jkaoh.2012.36.4.282
17.  Kim MJ, Ha JE, Shim JS, Kang YM. Relationship between perceived oral health status and oral health related symptoms among the Korean soldiers. Journal of the Korea Contents Association 2016;16(10):556-62. https://doi.org/10.5392/jkca.2016.16.10.556
18.  Shim JS, Seong JM. Some of the soldiers oral care products usage and recognition. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2013;13(1):166-73.
19.  Woo JM. The problem of military health and medical service and suggestions for legal improvement[Master’s thesis]. Seoul: Univ. of Korea, 2018.
20.  Cohen J. A power primer. Psychological bulletin 1992;112(1):155-9.
21.  Walker SN, Sechrist KR, Pender NJ. The health promoting lifestyle profile :development and psychometric characteristics. Nurs Res 1987;36(2):76-81.
22.  Song JY, Park JY, Lim NS. Relationship of health-promotion life style to the factors of oral-health practice among workers. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2012;12(3):621-9.
23.  Kim HS, Oh EG, Hyong HK, Cho ES. A study on factors influencing health promotion lifestyle in college students. J Korean Acad Community Health Nurs 2008;19(3):506-20.
24.  Nam JH Lee MC, Lee CK. The effect of regular physical activity on health status and health promotion lifestyle profile in male college students. Journal of digital convergence 2014;12(9):225-35. https://doi.org/10.14400/jdc.2014.12.9.225
25.  Jung SI. Levels of health promotion lifestyle and related factors among the Korean military officers and NCOs[Master’s thesis]. Seoul: Univ. of Yonsei, 2005.
26.  Kim NY, Shim MS. A study on health promoting lifestyle and its affecting factors of general hospital worker. Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society 2009;10(4):728-35.