Department of Dental Hygiene, Chunnam Techno University1
Department of Dental Hygiene, Cheongam College2
Objectives: This study analyzed smoking trends by year in the relationship between smoking and oral health. Methods: This study targeted adults older than 19 years. To investigate the relationship between smoking and oral health status, composite sample Chi-square analysis and composite sample logistic regression analysis were performed using the fifth and sixth Korean National Health and Nutritional Examination Surveys. Results: Higher percentages of smokers were males in their 30s, high school graduates, single, with annual drinking habits, and higher stress perception. Analysis of smokers by year showed that smokers' rates decreased in all groups. Conclusions: This study suggests that smoking and sociodemographic factors are relevant to oral health status. The findings may be useful for informing the development of a personalized oral health promotion program for smokers.
 Park HJ, Lee JH, Cho SH, Heo S, Yoon CY, Beak SY. Establishment of analytical methods for HPHC list of mainstream cigarette smoke. Analytical Science & Technology 2015;28(6):385-97. https://doi.org/10.5806/AST.2015.28.6.385
2.  American PA. Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders : DSM-5. 5th ed. Washington, D.C.: American Psychiatirc Association; 2013: 571-7.
3.  World Health Organization. Tobacco threatens to sustainable development[Internet]. World Health Organization; 2017.[cited 2018 July 12].
4. Available from:http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs355/en  Korean Ministry of Government Legislation. National Health Promotion Law[Internet].Korean Ministry of Government Legislation; 2016.[cited 2018 Aug 21]. Available from:http://www.law.go.kr/lsInfoP.do?lsiSeq= 172248&efYd=20151223#0000.
5.  Korean Ministry of Government Legislation. National Health Promotion Law[Internet].Korean Ministry of Government Legislation;2016.[cited 2018 Aug 21]. Available from:http://www.law.go.kr/lsInfoP.do?lsiSeq=150367&efYd=20150722#0000.
6.  Ministry of Health and Welfare, Korea Institute for Health and Social Affairs: OECD health data 2014. Seoul: Kyungsungmoonhwasa; 2014: 51-4.
7.  Statistics Korea. Source of death for 2016[Internet]. Statistics Korea; 2016. [cited 2018 Aug 22]. Available from: http://kostat.go.kr/portal/korea/kor_nw/2/6/1/index.board?bmode=read&aSeq=363268
8.  Reibel J. Tobacco and oral diseases. Update on the evidence, with recommendations. Med Princ Pract 2003;12(1): 22-32. https://doi.org/10.1159/000069845
9.  Lee HS, Kim ME. Effects of smoking on oral health : preliminary evaluation for a long-term study of a group with good oral hygiene. J Oral Med Pain 2011;36(4):225-34.
10.  Ryu MH, Kim J. Tobacco and oral diseases, smoking cessation strategies in dental clinics. Korean J Oral Maxillofac Pathol 2005;29(6):381-9.
11.  Kim YH, Lee JH. The relationship between oral health behavior, smoking, and periodontal diseases in Korean middle-aged mee: based on data from the Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, 2013-2015. J Korean Acad Oral Health 2017;41(1):36-42. https://doi.org/10.11149/jkaoh.2017.41.1.36
12.  Han DH, Kim JB. The association between smoking and periodontitis: findings from The Korean National Oral Health Survey 2006. J Korean Acad Dent Health 2009;33(4) :634-43.
13.  Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey[Internet]. Chronic Disease. [cited 2018 July 5]. Available from: https://knhanes.cdc.go.kr/knhanes/sub01/sub01_05_02.jsp#s5_01_08.
15. Krall EA, Dawson-Hughes B, Garvey AJ, Garcia RI. Smoking, smoking cessation, and tooth loss. J Dent Res 1997;76(10):1653-9.https://doi.org/10.1177/00220345970760100601  Leao A, Sheiham A. The development of a socio-dental measure of dental impacts on daily living. Community Dent health 1996;13(1):22-6.
16.  Richmond RL. Physicians can make a difference with smokers: evidence-based clinical approaches. Int J Tuberc Lung Dis 1999;3(2):100-12.
17.  Michael C, William C, Jaen CR, Bempwotz NL, Curry SJ, Parsippany NJ, et al. A clinical practice guideline for treating tobacco use and dependence:2008 update: a U.S. public health service report. Am J Prev Med 2008;35(2):158-76. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amepre.2008.04.009
18.  Jung JO, Chun JY. The relationship between smoking and periodontal diseases in Korean adults: based on the data from the Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey 2010. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2013;13(3):481-9. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2013.13.3.481
19.  Kim MH, Yoon MS, Lim YH, Lee SR, Kim SY, Park SJ, et al. The association between types of smoking and periodontal disease according to the survey year using the fourth and fifth Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Surveys. J Dent Hyg Sci 2017;17(6):487-94. https://doi.org/10.17135/jdhs.2017.17.6.487
20.  Kim JH, Song KH, Kim YS. Effects of smoking on dental caries in Korean adults (Based on the data from the Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey 2008, 2010). J Korean Acad Dent Hyg 2014;16(1):17-31.
21.  Kim, DK, Kim JS, Seong J. Smoking cessation counseling activity among oral health care team in a community. J Korean Acad Dent Health 2003;27(4):511-26.
22.  Ju OJ, Kim IJ. Comparison of dental health capacity between smokers and nonsmokers. J Dent Hyg Sci 2016;16(3):200 -9. https ://doi.org/10.17135/jdhs.2016.16.3.200  Yun JW, Lee JH. An assessment of smoking cessation counseling among dental hygienists. J Korean Acad Oral Health 2015;39(1):51-5. https://doi.org/10.11149/jkaoh.2015.39.1.51
23.  Yun JW, Lee JH. An assessment of smoking cessation counseling among dental hygienists. J Korean Acad Oral Health 2015;39(1):51-5. https://doi.org/10.11149/jkaoh.2015.39.1.51
24.  Park IS, Kim HJ. Knowledge and status of oral health according to smoking in some college students. J Digital Convergence 2014;12(10):445-53. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2014.12.10.445  Lee JH, Jeon ES. A study on the health science college students pattern and interest of oral health care according to smoking or not and health-related and health-unrelated Majors. Korean J Health Service Management 201;5(3):169-77. https://doi.org/10.12811/kshsm.2011.5.3.169
25.  Lee JH, Jeon ES. A study on the health science college students pattern and interest of oral health care according to smoking or not and health-related and health-unrelated Majors. Korean J Health Service Management 201;5(3):169-77. https://doi.org/10.12811/kshsm.2011.5.3.169
26.  Kim YH. Factors related to health-related quality of life among adult smokers in smoking cessation clinics. J Korean Data Analysis Society 2013;15(1):263-75.
27.  Kim SJ, Han GS. Relationship between perceived oral symptoms and smoking, drinking of high school students in metropolitan area. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2012;12(3):553-62. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2012.12.3.553
28.  Yoon SH, Bea JY, Lee SW, An KE, Kim SE. The effects of job stress on depression, drinking and smoking among Korean men. Health Soc Sci 2006;19:31-50.
29.  Jeon KH, Lee JY, Lee JE. Oral health-related quality of life (OHIP-14) according to smoking. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2015;15(5):889-98. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2015.15.05.889
30.  Lawrence HP, Thomson WM, Broadbent JM, Poulton R. Oral health-related quality of life in a birth cohort of 32-year olds. Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 2008;36(4):305-16. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0528.2007.00395.x
31.  Calsina G, Ramón JM, Echeverría JJ. Effects of smoking on periodontal tissues. J Clin Periodontol 2002;29(8):771-6. https://doi.org/10.1034/j.1600-051X.2002.290815
32.  Jo JK. Analysis of changes in tobacco sales and smoking rates. Health Welfare Policy Forum 2009;153:65-75.
33.  Kim HR. Socioeconomic inequality and its trends in cigarette smoking in South Korea, 1998-2005. Health Soc Welf Rev 2007;27(2):25-43.
34.  Cha BS, Chang SJ, Park JK, Ko SB, Kang MG, Ko SY. Effects of cigarette smoking on psychosicial distress and occupational risks. J Prev Med 1997;30(3):540-54.