Department of Dental Hygiene, Vision College of Jeonju
Department of Dental Hygiene, College of Health and Medical Science, Howon University2
Objectives: This study aimed to provide basic data to establish a foundation for efficient operation of the organization by identifying the factors that affect the job embeddedness of dental hygienists. Methods: A survey was conducted from March to July 2018, targeting dental hygienists working in dental clinics and hospitals. Results: The study of the factors affecting job embeddedness of dental hygienists revealed that along with career, marital status, surface acting of emotional labor, and even emotional hiding and false expression, which are sub-areas of the surface acting, have statistically significant influences on job embeddedness. In other words, in a married dental hygienist with relatively high work experience, the surface acting of emotional labor is found to be high in job embeddedness, and the explanatory power of the model is approximately 53.2%. Conclusions: In order to improve the job embeddedness of clinical dental hygienists, it seems necessary to prepare an effective program to strengthen the surface behavior of emotional labor.
1.  Kwon JY, Lee SY. Relationship of between task performance, job satisfaction, and organizational contribution of dental hygienists. J Dent Hyg Sci 2016;16(4):302-9. https://doi.org/10.17135/jdhs.2016.16.4.302.
2.  Park MS. What is dental hygiene. In: Introduction to dental hygiene. 1st ed. Kim J, Bae SM, Yoon MS, Jang YJ, Kim KS, et al: Seoul: Daehannarae publishers; 2016: 3-7.
3.  Kim EA. The study on the relationship between job embeddedness and turnover intention. J Employment Career 2013;3(1): 27-47.
4.  Mitchell TR, Holtom BC, Lee TW, Sablynski CJ, Erez M. Why people stay: Using job embeddedness to predict voluntary turnover. Acad Manage J 2001;44(6):1102-21.
5.  Kim SH. A study the influence of job embeddedness on the turnover intention[Master’s thesis]. Seoul: Univ. of Hanyang, 2008.
6.  Kim YS, Ryu S. Influence of job embeddedness factors on turnover intention of nurses in small and medium sized general hospitals. J Korean Acad Nurs Adm 2016;22(2):158-66. https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2016.22.2.158.
7.  Kim EH, Lee EJ, Choi HJ. Mediation effect of organizational citizenship behavior between job embeddedness and turnover intention in hospital nurses. J Korean Acad Nurs Adm 2012;18(4):394-401. https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2012.18.4.394
8.  Lee MJ, Kim YN, Lee SY. A study on factors affecting emotional labor of clinical dental hygienists. J Dent Hyg Sci 2015;15(2):113-8. https://doi.org/10.17135/jdhs.2015.15.2.113.
9.  Kim HH. Analysis of relationship between job performance and emotional labor of hotel employee. J Korea Travel Assoc 2009;29:128-44.
10.  Choi EA. A study on the effect of casino dealers’ emotional intelligence on customer orientation: the moderated effect of emotional labor. Journal of service research 2014;11(1);73-85.
11.  Yoon KC, Sohn M, Kim MS, Choi M. The comparative analysis of a structural impact of emotional labor, exhaustion, and customer orientation of nurse. Health and Social Welfare Review 2015;35(4):217-44. https://doi.org/10.15709/hswr.2015.35.4.217
12.  Kim JH. The effects of job embeddedness on turnover intention and organizational citizenship behavior in hospital employee: focusing on moderating effect of personality traits[Doctoral dissertation]. Busan: Univ. of Kyungsung, 2010.
13.  Choi OS, Kim HJ, Jang SJ. Effect of continuing dental care program by elementary school dental clinic in Gimcheon. J Korean Dent Hyg Sci 2015;15(4):705-11. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2015.15.04.705.
14.  Jung EK. Relationship between emotional labor and burnout among dental hygienists. J Korean Dent Hyg Sci 2016;16(1):53-9. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2016.16.01.53
15.  Han SG. A study on the occupational characteristics of emotional labor in Korea. The Journal of Labor Studies 2016;32(4):5-27.
16.  Kim JK. Relationships of emotional labor to job satisfaction and intent to turnover among staff nurses at small & medium-sized hospitals[Master’s thesis]. Pusan: Univ. of Pusan Catholic, 2012.
17.  Kim EH, Lee EJ, Choi HJ. Mediation effect of organizational citizenship behavior between job embeddedness and turnover intention in hospital nurses. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration 2012;18(4):394-401. https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2012.18.4.394
18.  Kim EH, Lee EJ. Mediation and moderation effects of job embeddedness between nursing performance and turnover intention of nurses. Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society 2014;15(8):5042-52.
19.  Mun MY, Hwang SY. Impact of nursing organizational culture types on innovative behaviorand job embeddedness perceived by nurses. J Korean Acad Nurs Adm 2016;22(4):313-22. https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2016.22.4.313
20.  Hyun YS. Factors affecting clinical nurses' job embeddedness[Master’s thesis]. Seoul; Univ. of Chungang, 2017.
21.  Min HH, Jeon JH, Kim YS. Influencing factors of turnover intention in the clinical dental ygienists. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2015;15(5):831-9. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2015.15.05.831
22.  Choi BK, Kim CJ, Ha MN. Effects of emotional labor and job characteristics on job stress and turnover intention in dental hygienists using the structural equation model. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2018;18(1):31-42. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2018.18.01.31
23.  Jung EK. Relationship between emotional labor and burnout among dental hygienists. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2016;16(1):53-9. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2016.16.01.53
24.  Kim JK, Kim MJ, Kim SY, Yu M, Lee KA. Effects of general hospital nurses` work environment on job embeddedness and burnout. J Korean Acad Nurs Adm 2014;20(1):69-81. https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2014.20.1.69