Department of Dental Hygiene, Suwon Women's University1
Department of Dental Hygiene, Daegu Health College2
Objectives: The purpose of the study was to investigate the regional distribution and working environment of clinical dental hygienists in Korea. Methods: From 2015 to October 2016, a questionnaire was completed by 5,708 participants and the data were analyzed. Results: The region with the largest increase in clinical dental hygienist employees compared to graduates is Seoul. More than 50.0% of clinical dental hygienists working for less than 1.8 million won in the payroll period of 4-6 years were working in the Gwangju Jeonnam, Jeonbuk, and Gangwon regions. In addition, incentives and bonuses were rarely provided by localities and agencies. Although 43.4% provided both parental leave and maternity leave. Conclusions: In order to solve the fundamental problem of inter-regional movement and employee turnover rate of clinical dental hygienists, as well as address the regional imbalance in labor supply and demand, efforts should be made for institutional improvement to strengthen management and implementation.
1.  Kim SA. Working conditions and welfare status of clinical dental hygienists. J Korean Dent Assoc 2002;40(12):977-80.
2.  Oh YH. Study on the long-term supply and demand of healthcare workers : 2015~2030. Sejong: Korea Institute for Health and Social Affairs; 2014: 3-4.
3.  Korean Dental Hygienists Association. introduce[Internet]. Korean Dental Hygienists Association.[cited 2018 July 16]. Available from: http://www.kdha.or.kr/introduce/dentalhygienist.aspx#introduce
4.  Kang BW, Kang JK, Kang HK, Ku IY, Kwon HS, Kim JY, et al. Introduction to dental hygiene. Seoul: JeeSeung Publishing; 2010: 25.
5.  Korea Institute for Health and Social Affairs. web news[Internet]. Korea Institute for Health and Social Affairs; 2015.[cited 2018 July 16]. Available from: https://www.kihasa.re.kr/web/news/report/view.do?ano=8611&menuId=20&tid=51&bid=79
6.  Korean Dental Hygienists Association. 2011 Employment trend of dental hygienist. Seoul: Korean Dental Hygienists Association; 2011: 2-3.
7.  Yang JY. A geographic information system-based analysis for the supply-side policy of dental hygienists in south Korea. J Dent Hyg Sci 2015;15(6):836-44. https://doi.org/10.17135/jdhs.2015.15.6.836
8.  Kim JY, Lee JH. Metropolitan movements and labor market performance of graduates of provincial universities; Comparison with graduates of metropolitan universities. Chungcheongbuk-do: Korea Employment Information Service; 2017: 6-14.
9.  Kim NS, Yoon NN, Kim YH, Park JH, Kim HJ, Lee JH. The effect of dental hygienist’s work environment on job satisfaction and organizational commitment. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2018;18(2):153-63. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2018.18.02.153
10.  Kwon SJ, Bae SK. Analysis of impact factors of affective commitment in organization of dental hygienist in Busan area : focused on quality of working life (QWL). J Korean Contents Soc 2009;9(5):156-65.
11.  Moon HJ, Jang MH, Shin MS. A study on working environment of dental hygienists by their work division. J Dent Hyg Sci 2007;7(1):37-47.
12.  Go EJ, Cho YH, Yoon HS. Relative factors intent to leave for dental hygienists. J Korean Contents Soc 2009;9(4):644-58.
13.  Korean association of dental hygiene professors. A study on the working environment of dental hygienist. Korea Korean association of dental hygiene professors; 2006: 42-5.
14.  Korea Employment Information Service. Korea Job Prospects 2017. Chungcheongbuk-do: Korea Employment Information Service; 2017: 249-51.
15.  Statistics Korea. The status of medical institutions by type of trial[Internet]. [cited 2018 July 16]. Available from: http://kosis.kr/statHtml/statHtml.do?orgId =354&tblId=DT_MIRE01&conn_path=I2.
16.  Kwon SB. A study on the job satisfaction of the dental hygienists by the types of working place[Master's thesis]. Seoul: Univ. of Dankook, 1996.
17.  Kim YS, Park HS. A study on work environment and job satisfaction of dental hygienists in daegu and gyeongsangbuk-do. J Dent Hyg Sci 2012;12(6):600-6.
18.  Shim HS, Lee HN. A study on the working environment of dental hygienists residing in the gwangju area. J Dent Hyg Sci 2008;8(3):131-7.
19.  Kang RY. Job satisfaction, turnover intention, and nursing work environment in nurses in small-medium sized hospitals categorized by number of beds[Master's thesis]. Seoul: Univ. of Ewha womans, 2018.
20.  Yang ES. A study on the impact of maternity protection policy on female workers ratio[Master’s thesis]. Seoul: Univ. of Seoul National, 2015.
21.  Han JH, Ahn ES. Effect of internal marketing activities on motivating dental hygienists. J Dent Hyg Sci 2014;14(1):43-50.