Department of dental hygiene, Hanseo University1
Objectives: This study involved a non-equivalent control group, pre-test/post-test measurement experiment to evaluate the efficacy of distributing plaque disclosing agents to healthy adults living in South Korea and promoting its self-application. Methods: O’Leary index, PHP index, oral health behavior intention, and oral care satisfaction were used as research tools. A notice was posted on the bulletin board from September 12 to October 15, 2016, to recruit adults aged 20–50 years. Data were analyzed using SPSS Version 22.0, and frequency analysis, Pearson’s chi-squared, one-way analysis of variance (ANOVA), Kruskal-Wallis, and repeated measures ANOVA were performed. Results: The O’Leary index was significantly reduced in the group (p<0.01) , and time (p<0.01) after education and width of the decrease had the highest score in the group that received education on plaque disclosing only. They were followed by the group that received education on plaque disclosing and the rolling method, the group that received education on the rolling method alone, and the control group. The PHP index significantly decreased in the group(p<0.01) and time (p<0.01), and the group time (p=0.039) after education, and width of the decrease had the highest score in the group that received education on plaque disclosing and rolling method. They were followed by the group that received education on plaque disclosing alone, the group that received education on the rolling method alone, and the control group. Conclusions: Based on the aforementioned findings, the direct use of plaque disclosing had a marked effect on self-oral care. These results suggest that the self-application of plaque disclosing could be an effective self-care method for improving the oral environment.
1. Kim JE, Jung HM, Kim JY, Han JE, Jin BH, Woo KM. Fluoride-releasing chitosan nanoparticles for prevention of dental caries. Tissue Eng Regen Med 2011;8:93-8.
2. Noh HJ. The study of cost-benefit analysis on fissure sealant and regular checkup for prevention of dental caries. J Dent Hyg Sci 2002;2(2):53-62.
3. Ministry of Health and Welfare, Korea health promotion institute. The fourth round Health Plan 2016~2020. 1st ed. Seoul: Ministray of Health & Welfare 2015; 217-34.
4. ]Won JH, Ha MN. An association of periodontitis and diabetes. J Dent Hyg Sci 2014;14:107-13.
5. Kim MS. A study on the correlation between the dental plaque index of patients and the periodontal disease or prognosis[Master’s thesis]. Seoul: Univ. of Seoul National, 2013.
6. Jo MJ, Min KJ. Effect of repeated directing tooth-brushing education on plaque control. J Acad-Ind Technol 2000;6:93-100.
7. Jang KW. Prevention and management of periodontal disease - The use of Toothbrushing Bleeding index. Daily Dental 2004;1301:1.
8. Kang BW, Kang HK, Ku IY, Kwon HM, Kim KS, Kim SS, et al. Preventive dentistry. 4th ed. Seoul: Koonja; 2013: 52-69.
9. Sheiham A. The prevention and control of periodontal disease. Dent Health 1979;18:7-20.
10. Lee HR, Jung GU, Pang EK. Comparison of the oral health education effect of air force personnel according to the use of disclosing solution. J Korean Dent 2016;54:57-66.
11. Jung MY. Effect of tooth-brushing education using disclosing solution[Master’s thesis]. Gimhae: Univ. of Inje, 2012.
12. An HH, Lee MH, Seo HJ. Oral hygiene performance ability according to toothbrushing instruction. J Korea Soc Health Inform Stat 2012;37:43-52.
13. O’Leary TJ, Drake RB, Naylor JE. The plaque control record. J Periodontol 1972;43:38.
14. Choi EJ, Song YS. The association between oral health behavior intention and self-efficacy of dental hygiene students. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2012;12:485-93.
15. Jang YJ, Jung JA, Jeon ES. Relation factors of oral health behavior of junior college in jeollanamdo. J Korean Acad Dent Hyg Educ 2006;6:387-402.
16. Lee SS, Paik DI, Kim JB. A study on the effects of the toothbrushing instruction methods in dental health education . J Korean Acad Dent Health 1990;14:233-42.
17. Mun SJ, Chung WG, Kim NH. Changes in daily toothbrushing frequency among Korean adults from 2000 to 2006. J Korean Acad Dent Health 2009;33:183-91.
18. Kim JY. Studies on oral health education according to the age of adult in some area. J Korean Acad Dent Hyg 2014;16:207-15.
19. Ju OJ. A study on the effectiveness estimation for oral health education of dental patients. J Dent Hyg Sci 2005;5:119-24.
20. Ryu EJ, Kwon YM, Lee KS. A study on psychosocial well-being and health promoting lifestyle practices of university students. Korean J Health Educ Promot 2001;18:49-60.
21. Kim HK. Gender differences in health promoting behavior and related factors among university students using pender’s health promotion model. J Educ Res 2007;21:198-219.