Department of Dental Hygiene, College of Medical Science, Konyang University1
Objectives: The purpose of this study was to analyze Influence of stress on oral health and quality of life. Methods: The participants were 172 students from 4 universities located in DaeJeon, South Korea. A questionnaire was administered, assessing the impacts of the general characteristics of the participants , temporomandibular joint (TMJ) symptoms, xerostomia, and halitosis on stress. And oral impacts on daily performance were also investigated. Data were analyzed using the Statistical Package for the Social Sciences 18.0. Results: The level of stress was higher in female, and the causes of stress was reported scholastic achievement, relations with professors, get a job. The students who were higher stress were more conscious of TMJ symptoms, xerostomia and halitosis(p<0.05). Stress was significantly positively correlated with TMJ symptoms (r=0.376, p<0.001), dry mouth (r=0.360, p<0.001), and bad breath (r=0.343, p<0.001). Oral Impacts on Daily Performance (OIDP) scores were significantly positively correlated with dry mouth, bad breath, TMJ symptoms, and stress. Regression analysis showed that 54.5% of the independent variables were related to OIDP scores. Stress and TMJ symptoms exerted a significant effect on OIDP scores. Conclusions: Stress among university students affects oral health and quality of life. Stress coping mechanisms and oral health care education programs should be developed and applied at universities.
1. Kim JU, Hong MH, Kim YS. Impact of stress on physical and temporomandibular joint symptoms in health-related majoring students. J Korea Acad Indust Cooper Soc 2013;14(10):4919-26. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2013.14.10.4919
2. Lim AY, Lee SH, Jeon YJ, Yoo RK, Jung HY. Job-Seeking Stress, Mental Health, and Social Support. J Korean Med Sci 2018;33(19):e149. https://doi.org/10.3346/jkms.2018.33.e149
3. Kong M, Kang YJ. A study on the influence of college life stresses on the mental health of college students: focus on the college of pyongtaek city. Korean J Rehabil Psychol 2012;19(1): 1-22. http://uci.or.kr/G704-SER000009521.2012.19.1.002
4. Sim YJ, Yoo SH. The relationship among career adaptability, social support, career barriers and happenstance coping skills of college students. J Edu Inno R 2018;28(2):423-43.
5. Kim JH, Choi BY. The effects of social support on career preparation behavior of college students: focusing on the mediating effect of career maturity. KAYW 2015;17(4):143-69. https ://doi.org/10.19034/KAYW.2015.17.4.07
6. Park SY, Kim JI. A mediation effect of career maturity on relationship between college students’ work value, social support and career decision level. KALCI 2017;17(10):507-33. https://doi.org/10.22251/jlcci.2017.17.10.507
7. Jeong JE, Jeong CY. The causal relationship of undergraduate students’ career adaptability, social support, self-esteem and self-directed learning. Journal of Agricultural Education and Human Resource Development 2015;47(1):79-96. https://doi.org/10.23840/agehrd.2015.47.1.79
8. Kim EY, Yu HS. A comparative study of the stressors, stress management behaviors, and the behavior contents among Korean, Japanese and Chinese university students. JOEC 2018;24(1):193-211. https://doi.org/10.24159/joec.2018.24.1.193
9. Cho MJ, Lee E, Youm YS, Kim HC, Jung EK, Kim JK, et al. Relationship between stress and subjective oral dryness in the elderly in a rural region: a pilot study. J Korean Acad Oral Health 2017;41(4):243-9. https://doi.org/10.11149/jkaoh.2017.41.4.243
10. Cho MK, Cho YH. Comparisons of the effects of a-solution and 0.9% normal saline oral gargling on xerostomia, halitosis, and salivary pH in nursing students. J Korean Biological Nur Sci 2014;16(2):141-9. https://doi.org/10.7586/ jkbns.2014.16.2.141
11. Hong MH. The influence of occupational stress on dry mouth, temporo-mandibular disorder and oral symptoms on workers, J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2013;13(1):136-45.
12. Tae IH, Kim ST, Ahn HJ, Kwon JS, Choi JH. Interaction between pain aspect and sleep quality in patients with temporomandibulat disorder J Oral Med Pain 2008;33(2):205-16.
13. Jeo ES. Effect of self awareness of halitosis on the quality of life related to oral health in patients with chronic renal failure. Journal of Digital Convergence 2013;11(12):607-14.
14. Vali A, Roohafza H, Keshteli AH, Afghari P, Javad Shirani M, Afshar H, et al. Relationship between subjective halitosis and psychological factors. Int Dent J. 2015;65(3):120-6. https://doi.org/10.1111/idj.12153
15. Wang J, He L. Comparison of the psychological condition of chinese patients with or without halitosis complaints. Chin J Dent Res 2018;21(1):69-76. https://doi.org/10.3290/j.cjdr.a39920.
16. Yoshino K, Suzuki S, Ishizuka Y, Takayanagi A, Sugihara N, Kamijyo H. Relationship between job stress and subjective oral health symptoms in male financial workers in Japan. Ind Health 2017;55(2):119-26. https://doi.org/10.2486/indhealth.2016-0120
17. Özdinç S, Ata H, Selçuk H, Can HB, Sermenli N, Turan FN. Temporomandibular joint disorder determined by Fonseca anamnestic index and associated factors in 18- to 27-year-old university students. Cranio 2018: 8:1-6. https://doi.org/10.1080/08869634.2018.1513442
18. Lee EH, Park SJ. Validity and application of the life stress scale for university students. J Educ Res 2012:10(2):69-93. https://uci.or.kr/G704-SER000010453.2012.10.2.002
19. Seo EG. Prevalence of temporomandibular disorders and its risk factors among office workers, service workers and teachers[Master’s thesis]. Seoul: Univ. of Korea, 2010.
20. Lee SY. Development of questionnaire for evaluation of dry mouth treatments. department of dentistry[Master’s thesis]. Seoul: Univ. of Seoul National, 2015.
21. Chon SY. Physical and mental factors of subjective halitosis symptom[Master’s thesis]. Seoul: Univ. of Seoul National, 2013.
22. Jang YH. A study on comparison affecting stress and stress coping strategies of college students :focusing on anger-control ability and emotional-clarity[Master’s thesis]. Incheon: Univ. of Inha, 2017.
23. Ryu JI, Jung SH. Prevalence of the oral impacts on daily performance (OIDP) in elderly population, Gangneung city. J Korean Acad Dent Health 2007;31(2):205-13.
24. Seo YS, Kim MS. The relationships between the stress perceptions, coping and university life adjustment of students in different major fields. JKDAS 2016;18(1):525-35. http://uci.or.kr/G704-000930.2016.18.1.039
25. Ko YH, Park YH. The effects of career decision making self-efficacy and career maturity on the senior stidents’ employment stress. J Digital Convergence 2018;16(1):73-83. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2018.16.1.073
26. Back SS, Ha EH, Ryo EN, Song MS. Effects of life stress and depression in undergraduates on suicidal ideation. J Korean Acad Child Health Nurs 2012;18(4):157-63.
27. Kim SH, Choi YN. Correlation between stress and smartphone addiction in healthcare related university students. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2017;17(1):27-37. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2017.17.01.27
28. Yoo JH, Kang SH, Baek SH, You TM, Kim JB. Effect on explanation of pathogenesis and stress management as primary care of TMJ disorder. J Korean Asso Oral and Maxillofacial Sur 2002;28(5):358-63.
29. Jeong EY, Kim MR. Relationship between job-stress and temporomandibular joint disorder in dental hygienists. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2014;14(3):381-90. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2014.14.03.381
30. Natu VP, Yap AU, Su MH, Irfan Ali NM, Ansari A. Temporomandibular disorder symptoms and their association with quality of life, emotional states and sleep quality in South-East Asian youths. J Oral Rehabil 2018:45(10):756-63. https://doi.org/10.1111/joor.12692
31. Bergdahl M, Bergdahl L. Low unstimulated salivary flow and subjective oral dryness: association with medication, anxiety, depression and stress. J Dent Res 2000;79:1652-8.
32. Chung JS, Park HS, Na DW, Noh EK, Choi CH, Park J. Halitosis and related factors among adolescents in Korea. J Korean Acad Dent Health 2010;34:534-42.
33. Jang SW, Kim JS, Kim JU, Son JY, Baek SH, Choi J, Ryu BH. Comparison characreristic on psychological status between genuine and pseudo halitosis. Korean J Orient int Med 2013:34(4):405-11.