Department of Dental Hygiene, Shin-han University1
Objectives: This study aimed to identify methods that help medical consumers to be aware of relevant information regarding changes in dental health insurance policy. Methods: The following results were obtained from a survey regarding awareness and satisfaction with dental health insurance policy among the general public aged 20 years or older in Seoul, Gyeonggi Province, and other areas from August 1, 2017 to August 23, 2017. Results: The correlation between adults’ awareness of and satisfaction with dental health insurance was 0.471, where satisfaction with dental health insurance was enhanced with increasing awareness of dental health insurance (p<0.001). Factors that significantly affected awareness of dental health insurance were marriage (married p<0.05), medical service (dental university hospital, p<0.01), and satisfaction with dental health insurance (p<0.001); these factors explained 29.2% of the variance. Factors that significantly affected satisfaction with dental health insurance were final education (high school graduation, p<0.05), medical service (dental hospital, p<0.05), and awareness of dental health insurance (p<0.001); these factors explained 27.8% of the variance. Conclusions: Importantly, awareness of the government’s operation of dental health insurance and the benefits of such dental health insurance were low, suggesting that the government and national health insurance agency should improve the level of transparency in dental health insurance operations and continuously promote dental health insurance benefits to the public.
1. Kim JH. Study on recognition and needs about national health insurance coverage of dental service[Master’s thesis]. Seoul: Univ. of Kyunghee, 2010.
2. Lee HY, Park JY. Relationship between oral health behavior and happiness index in elderly people. J Korean Dent Hyg Sci 2016;16(6):415-23.
3. Oh BK. Research of the disparity in the dental health insurance process[Master’s thesis]. WonJu: Univ. of Yonsei, 2005.
4. The Ministry of Health and Welfare. Advanced analysis of Korean national oral health survey. Seoul: Ministry of Health and Welfare; 2011: 3-20.
5. Overview of national health insurance system[Internet]. National health insurance corporation[cited 2017 Nov 23]. Available from: .
6. Lee BG, Lee JH. Recognition and satisfaction of dental care customers after 1 year national health insurance coverage of dental scaling. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2016;16(2):185-93. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2016.16.02.185.
7. Moon HL. A survey on health insurance claims and knowledge by the hygienist in Jeollabuk-do[Master’s thesis]. Iksan: Univ. of Wonkwang, 2013.
8. Cho IW, Shin HS, Park JC. Studies on patient’s perception and awareness of health insurance coverage for smoking cessation treatment in dentistry. J Dental Rehab & App Sci 2015;31(3):195-202.
9. Hong MH. Influence of daily stress to oral symptoms among adults. J Korean Dent Hyg Sci 2013;13(1):20-8.
10. Hwang GM, Kim GH, Park YD. Dental service providers’ satisfaction with dental health insurance. J Korean Acad Oral Health 2010;34(2):214-21.
11. Han JH, Kim YS. A survey study on health care insurance. J Korean Dent Hyg Sci 2008;8(2):65-71.
12. Park HJ. Health effects of dental health insurance coverage on medical utilization: Focusing on extending plaque wages[Master’s thesis]. Seoul: Univ. of Korea, 2016.
13. Ministry of health & welfare. 2015 Korean children’s oral health survey. 2015: 143.
14. Kim JB. An introduction of public oral cavity health. 3rd ed. Seoul: Komoonsa; 2004: 407-8.
15. Lee YH, Moon HS, Baek DI. A survey study on the healthy health status of domestic household. J Oral Health Sci 2000;24(3):239-46.
16. Lee KH, Son JY, Lee HO, Shin SH, Jeon HJ, You HJ, et al. Factors affecting the recognition about scaling after health insurance benefit business for scaling by national health insurance corporation. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2017;17(3):355-68. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2017.17.03.355.
17. Medical institution, HIRA High School 3 % of objection 3 years[Internet]. Newsis[cited 2017 Nov 23]. Available from: .
18. How to reduce the cost of investing in an implant[Internet]. Sports trend news.[cited 2017 Nov 23]. Avilable from: .
19. What if I leave my teeth to my dentist?[Internet]. Pressian[cited 2017 Nov 23]. Available from: .
20. Shin HS, Kim HD. Income related inequality of dental care utilization in Korea. Korea Ins Health & Soc Affairs 2006;26(1):69-93.
21. Kim JB, Choi YJ, Moon HS, Kim JB, Kim DG, Lee HS, et al. Public oral health. 4th ed. Seoul: Komoonsa; 2009: 266-76.
22. Kim MS. A study on general middle-aged adults’ attitude for national health insurance: mainly researched in Masan and Chang-won area[Master’s thesis]. Changwon: Univ. of Kyungnam, 2010.
23. Cheon HW. Awareness and attitude toward health insurance coverage extension to scaling in dental service consumers. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2016;16(4):539-48. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2016.16.04.539.
24. Kim GS, Whang YS, Kang JO, Koo IY, Kim YK, Kim YN, et al. Community oral health sciences. 2nd ed. Seoul: Komoonsa; 2017: 240.
25. Medical institution[Internet]. Naver knowledge encyclopedia.[cited 2017 Nov 23]. Available from: .