Department of Dental Hygiene, Shin-han University1
Objectives: The purpose of this study was to identify factors affecting choice of treatment hospital (i.e., determinants) and satisfaction with the treatment hospital, and to provide a more satisfactory and high-quality medical service for orthodontic patients. Methods: A questionnaire survey was conducted for approximately 1 month beginning in August 2017, involving patients who visited orthodontic dentistry clinics in Seoul and Gyeonggi-do. Multiple regression analysis was performed on the results to examine factors that affected satisfaction with orthodontic treatment. Results: The determinant of dental clinics was 3.90 points overall; hospital environment and facilities were highest at 4.05, followed by dental hygienist at 3.99, and dentist at 3.97. Factors influencing satisfaction with orthodontic treatment were positively influenced by dentists (p<0.01), medical procedures (p<0.01) and medical expenses (p<0.01). Conclusions: It is important to provide comfort and convenience to patients by simplifying hospital facility management, reception, and reservation procedures.
1. Kim JS, Lee SO. Analysis of elements which affect treatment time of straitening tooth of orthodontic patients in some areas. J Korean Acad Dent Hyg 2011;13(3):173-84.
2. Lee SY. A study on orthodontic treatment knowledge and attitude among people in general. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2012;12(2):252-61.
3. Nam JR, Choi JH, Kim MY, Seong JH. A study on the patient`s perception of orthodontic treatment. Oral Bio Res 2003;27(2):17-35.
4. Park EM, Yu SY, Jang JH. The effect of satisfaction of dental esthetics on life quality related to oral health(OHIP-14). J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2011;11(6):863-70.
5. Jung WG, Jo MS, Yun MS, Moon HJ, Lee MO, Lee SS, et al. Principles and practice of conservative dentistry. 3rd ed. Seoul: Daehannarae Publising; 2015: 346.
6. Lee KJ. On the determination of outpatient`s revisit using data mining. Health Polic Manage 2003;13(3):21-34.
7. Chung DJ, Jung MS, Byeon JO. Structural modeling of hospital facilities, medical human power, patient satisfaction, and behavior intention in health care service. J Korean Assoc Health Med Soc 2006;19:151-78.
8. Jeon JH, Min HH, Kim YS. Relationship between satisfaction of dental service, value quality, and reuse intention. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2014;14(5):765-73. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2014.14.05.765
9. Jung MH. Current trends in orthodontic patients in private orthodontic clinics. Korean J Orthod 2009;39(1):36-42. https://doi.org/10.4041/kjod.2009.39.01.36
10. Cronin JJ, Taylor SA. Measuring service quality ： A reexamination and extension. J Marketing 1992;56(3):55-68. https://doi.org/10.2307/1252296/JSTOR.1992.56.03.55
11. Kim MY, Lee KW, Moon HS, Jung MG. A study on the gratification of the patient in the dental hospital. J Korean Acad Prosth 2008;46(1):65-82.
12. Ko EJ, Lee YH, Heo SJ. A study on factors related to satisfaction level with dental services. J Dent Hyg Sci 2010;10(2):1-22.
13. Nam YT, Kim YR. A comparative study on oral health index after oral health care program for orthodontic patients. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2017;17(2):215-24. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2017.17.02.215
14. Kim SK, Park SY, Ahn JH, Yang JE, Lee SH, Jung ES. The correlation between symptoms of malocclusion in adults and their quality of life related to oral health. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2017;17(2):225-34. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2017.17.02.225
15. Kim AH. A study on orthodontic clinic patients’ treatment hospital determinants and satisfaction[Master’s thesis]. Seoul: Univ. of Ewha Womans, 2015.
16. Lee SH. Perception and satisfaction of the face and the need for aesthetic dental treatment in the college students. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2017;17(1):89-98. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2017.17.01.89
17. Yun KO, Kim JS, Kim SH. Satisfaction of the aged with their dental treatments and consideration of the necessity for dental hygienic education about the aged. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2010;10(4):765-75.
18. Jang HY, Lee SR, Lee YJ, Lee SB, Lee HN, Lee HB, et al. Awareness and need as factors in an incremental oral health care program for Korean adults. J Dent Hyg Sci 2016;16(6):442-8. https://doi.org/10.17135/jdhs.2016.16.06.442.
19. Kim MY, Lee GW, Moon HS, Jeong MG. A study on the gratification of the patient in the dental hospital. J Korean Acad Prosth 2008;46(1):65-82.
20. Jung SY, Ahn HS, Kim SH, Jang JH, Park YD. Comparison of orthodontia patients` choice and satisfaction at different type of dental hospital. J Korean Acad Dent Health 2005;29(4):516-26.