Department of Dental Hygiene, Shinhan University1
Objectives: This study aimed to investigate factors affecting treatment satisfaction of patients with dental implants and quality of life. Methods: A questionnaire survey was conducted for adults who underwent dental implant treatment. at dental departments of general hospitals or dental clinics in Seoul and Gyeonggi-do. Data was analyzed to get descriptive statistics of variables, and was under independent t-test, one way ANOVA, and multiple regression analysis. Results: The mean of total satisfaction with implants was 3.73±0.41 in the 5-point scale, and that of general satisfaction was 3.97±0.53, followed by mean values of psychological satisfaction of 3.68±0.51, aesthetic satisfaction of 3.67±0.49, and masticatory function of 3.65±0.53. Factors that affect implant treatment satisfaction among patients were monthly income (more than 4 million won), hesitation of the procedure (treatment period), regular checkup (yes) and concerns during treatment (work). Factors that affect the quality of life of patients who underwent implant treatments were satisfaction of aesthetic function and overall satisfaction. Conclusions: The above results showed that the higher the aesthetic satisfaction and overall satisfaction with the implant are, the higher the quality of life of patients get. Therefore, it is necessary for dental specialists to perform dental implants well to improve quality of life of patients.
1. Kim KW, Lee KS, Kang PS, Kim WS, Lee HK. Comparison of chewing ability and quality of life before and after the dental implantation. J Korean Acad Prosthodont 2009;47(2):215-21.
2. Park EM , Yu SY, Jang JH. The effect of satisfaction of dental esthetics on Life quality related to oral health(OHIP-14). J Korean Sci Dent Hyg 2011;11(6):863-70.
3. Song KH. A Study on the evaluation of health- and oral health-related quality of life in Korean adults. J Korean Acad Dent Hyg 2008;10(1):39-57.
4. Gunhild B, Alfred HG. A review of masticatory ability and efficiency. J Prostate Dent 1995;74:400-3.
5. Lee SJ, Jang JH. The relationship between knowledge, attitude of periodontal diseases and dental health behavior in adolescents. J Korean Sci Dent Hyg 2012;12(4):817-25.
6. Lee DI, Han SJ. Factors which affect the oral health-related quality of life of workers. J Dent Hyg Sci 2013;13(4):480-6.
7. Yoon HS. Relationship of oral health status and oral health care to the quality of life in patients of dental hospitals and clinics. J Dent Hyg Sci 2015;15(5):594-602. https://doi.org/10.17135/jdhs.2015.15.5.594
8. Park CS, Kim IJ. Oral health behavior according to perceived oral symptoms in the elderly. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2016;16(6):955-68. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2016.16.06.955
9. Noh EM, Back JU. Subjective oral health status of the elderly and social impact efficacy. J Dent Hyd Sci 2010;10(4):233-9.
10. Jeon JH, Min HH. Study of maintenance behavior based on the experience of the tooth brushing instruction for implant patient. J Korean Sci Dent Hyg 2013;13(3):403-16.
11. Kim SG, Son SY, Jeong SA, Jeong MA. Factors influent on treatment decision for the need of dental implant. J Korea Contents Association 2011;11(11):264-73. https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2011.11.11.264
12. Go EJ, Jang GW. A study on subjective awareness and expectations of implant patients. J Dent Hyg Sci 2010;10(1):107-25.
13. Yoo EM, Hwang YS. Study for general characters of dental implant patients and satisfaction level of function by dental interest level. J Korean Sco Dent Hyg 2009;9(3):1-6.
14. Yoo EM. (A) study on implant patients' satisfaction and mastication ability : compared to denture patients[Master’s thesis], Seoul: Univ. of Yonsei, 2006.
15. Sin CH. (A) study upon analyzing patients' satisfactions by the areas of his/her dental losses followed by dental implanting[Master’s thesis], Seoul: Univ. of Yonsei, 2005.
16. LEE HK. Research on the perception and satisfaction of dental implants[Master’s thesis]. Suwon: Univ. of Ajou, 2013.
17. Slade GD. Derivation and validation of a short-form oral health impact profile. Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 1997;25(4):284-90.
18. Kim JS, Park JY, Baek JM, Lee JH. Treatment satisfaction and oral health behavior of the before and after dental implanting treatment. J Korean Sco Dent Hyg 2013;13(6):1087-94.
19. Lee HJ. A study on the satisfaction of dental services in implant patients[Master's Thesis]. Gyeongsan: Univ. of Daegu Catholic, 2005.
20. Choi SO. A study on patients' perception on and expectation about dental implant. J Korean Acad Dent Hyg 2005;7(1):99-111.
21. Lee JH. Son DS. Clinical evaluation of implant retained overdentures using two implant and Locator attachments in the fully edentulous mandibles. J Korean Acad Prosthodont 2011;49(4):283-90.
22. Park JH. Association between oral health related quality of life and patients' satisfaction following implant therapy[Doctoral