Department of Dental Hygiene, Daejeon Health Institute of Technology1
Department of Dental Hygiene, Chodang University2
Objectives: The purpose of this study was to investigate the factors affecting robot utilization in the education of pre-dental hygienists. Methods: A self-reported questionnaire was completed by 238 dental hygiene students studying in the Daejeon, Chungcheong, and Jeolla provinces during the period March 1–31, 2017. Results: Future oral health education media had high selection of ‘movies,’ ‘video,’ ‘3D printer,’ ‘robot,’ and ‘drone’ In general education and oral health education, robots were appropriate as educators, assistant teachers, and media. This group had high levels of interest, experience, attitude, and learning scope of robots. Robot utilization education showed a significant positive correlation with the ‘interest,’ ‘experience,’ ‘attitude,’ and ‘learning’ subfactors (p<0.01). Factors influencing robot utilization education were the relationships among actual experience of robot, learning of robot production, social influence of robot, emotional exchange with robot, and the predictive power was 25.5% (p<0.05). Conclusions: Oral health education curricula using robots should be developed considering the emotional exchange and social influence between educator and learner .
1. Schwab K . The fourth industrial revolution. Geneva: World Economic Forum, 2016. [Internet]. [cited 2017 May 4]. Available from: http://www.weforum.org/about/the-fourth-industrial-revolution-by-klaus-schwab.
2. Bae YK. Robot programming education model in ubiquitous environment for enhancement of creative problem-solving ability[Doctoral dissertation]. Cheongju: Univ. of Education, 2006.
3. Intelligent Robot 2015 Action Plan MOTIE, Ministry of Trade, Industry and Energy, 2015. [Internet]. [cited 2017 April 5]. Available from:http://www. motie.go.kr.
4. Lee JY, Park JW, Yu JY. 2014 KISTI 10 promising technologies for the future : Biomimetic Robot. Korea Institute of Science and Technology Information, 2015. [Internet]. [cited 2017 May 4]. Available from:http://mirian.kisti.re.kr/futuretech/tech.jsp
5. Intelligent robot industry vision and development strategy, Ministry of Trade, Industry and Energy, 2006. [Internet]. [cited 2017 May 7]. Available from:http://www.motie.go.kr/motie/py/td/Industry/bbs/bbsView.do?bbs_cd_n=72&cate_n=1&bbs_seq_n=209216
6. Chae MY, Kim SI. A study on the role of social robot in aspect of user experiences - focus on single - person Households -. J SDPM 2017;15(2):295-300. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2017.15.2.295
7. Kim YO. A study on the advancement of early childhood education for the integrated infrastructure of early childhood education and child care. Gangju(Univ. of Chonnam); Ministry of Education; 2009: 130-34.
8. Jung YS. The development and application of educational robot program in elementary school[Master’s thesis]. Inchon: Univ. of Gyeongin, 2004.
9. Moon WS. A programming language learning model using educational robot. J KAIE 2007;11(2):231-41.
10. Jung BI, Moon WS. A method on educational use of robot for enhancement of problem-solving ability. J KAIE 2006;10(3):341-51.
11. Yeo IK. 2010 Summary report on industrial source technology roadmap - Robot. Korea Institute for Advancement of Technology; 2010: 44-9.
12. Kim DW, Lee JH, Ohm WY. Robot application for rehabilitation and healthcare. J ICROS 2010;16(3):28-33.
13. Koo KM, Kim YH, Kim IS, Kim HJ, Park YN, Park IS, et al. Oral health education. 2nd ed. Seoul: Komoonsa; 2009: 67-79.
14. Cohen J. Statistical power analysis for the behavioral sciences. 2nd ed. Hillsdale, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates; 1988: 407-14.
15. Kim SA, Shin NM. What do robots have to do with student learning?. J KAEIM 2007;13(3):79-99.
16. Bartneck C, Nomura T, Kanda T, Suzuki T, Kato K. Cultural differences in attitudes toward robots. In Proceedings of the AISB Symposium on Robot Companions: Hard Problems and Open Challenges in Human-Robot Interaction. Hatfield, UK: AISB; 2005: 1-4.
17. Nomura T, Suzuki T, Kanda T, Kato K. Measurement of negative attitudes toward robots. Interaction Studies 2006;7(3):437-54. https://doi.org/10.1075/is.7.3.14nom
18. Shin SH. A study on employment preparation behavior based on motive to select dental hygiene as major and their work value among dental hygiene students. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2017;17(5):853-64. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2017.17.05.853
19. Kim YJ, Park MJ, Yoo HN. Effect of motive for major selection on major satisfaction, campus-life satisfaction, and self-directed learning ability among nursing students. KAIS 2016;17(10):261-70. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2016.17.10.261
20. Kim MS, Joo YJ, Lee KY, Park SM, Seo HY, Wang Chengying, et al. The motivation of selecting major, the satisfaction of major and view of occupation for EMT students. KJEMS 2010;14(3):29-40.
21. Choi HS, Jung YR, Jung YS, Han JH, Hwang YS. A study on the utilization for oral health education materials of dental hygienists. J Dent Hyg Sci 2011;11(1):23-30.
22. Kim YS, Jin BH. Utilization of oral health educational materials at health centers in Korea. J Korean Acad Dent Health 2002;26(3):397-404.
23. Kim KY. Analysis on the application of oral health education materials of dental clinics [Master’s thesis]. Gwangju: Univ. of Chosun, 2004.
24. Cho HN, Lee JM, Lee YT, Lim DI, Park EJ, Park IS, et al. Cognition and needs on the patients for the activation of oral health education using smart phone applications. J KADA 2014;2(1):45-59.
25. Choi HJ, Cho EL, Kang SY, Kim MJ, Son WK, Hwang HI. A perception about the effect of the R-Learning: Using focus group interviews. Teacher Education Research 2011;50(3):136-51.
26. Choi JG, Kim MS, Ryu HJ, Song MJ. Visualization of teaching assistant robot’s image based on child’s mental model. J KSDS 2007;20(1):177-88.
27. Leite I, Pereira A, Martinho C, Paiva A. Are emotional robots more fun to play with? Robot and Human Interactive Communication, RO-MAN 2008. The 17th IEEE International Symposium. 2008: 77-82. https://doi.org/10.1109/ROMAN.2008.4600646
28. Hwang HI, Kang SY. The development of an on-line teacher education program on the use of computers with young children. KSECE 2005;25(6):87-110.
29. Kim SW, Lee YJ. Pre-service teachers’ attitude towards robots. J KACE 2017;21(2):167-9.
30. Kim SA, Shin NM. Korean students’ attitudes towards robots: Two survey studies. J KROS 2009;4(1):10-6.
31. Giusti L, Marti P. Interpretive dynamics in human robot interaction. Robot and Human Interactive Communication, ROMAN 2006. The 15th IEEE International Symposium. 2006: 111-6. https://doi.org/10.1109/ROMAN.2006.314403