Department of Dental Hygiene, College of Health and Medical Science, Howon University1
Department of Dental Hygiene, Wonkwang Health Science University2
Objectives: This study aimed to identify the importance of the directivity of reflecting on a realistic task when aiming to reorganize a relevant law for dental hygienists through examining dental hygiene students’ perceived need for a relevant law on dental hygiene related work. Methods: A survey was conducted targeting dental hygiene students from March 28 to April 30, 2018. The following findings were obtained. The results were summarized as follows. The collected data were analyzed using the SPSS WIN 21.0 statistical program. Results: With reference to the influence of the need for a work-related legislation on dental hygienists’ awareness of their legal rights, findings revealed that the latter was higher when there was higher involvement in precision impression procedures, higher involvement in occlusal adjustment in the middle stage, and higher perceived need for legislation on a comprehensive dental hygiene course (all p<0.05). Conclusions: Based on these findings, it is considered necessary to pursue a national solution for modifying the relevant legal system to provide institutional support for dental hygienists’ work. Additionally, the worry in the whole dentistry in order to establish dental hygienists’ task.
1. National Economic Advisory Council support group. A Policy task for a leap in medical service industry. Sejong; Institute of Industry 2016: 1-5.
2. Park MS. What is dental hygiene. In: Introduction to dental hygiene. 1st ed. Kim J, Bae SM, Yoon MS, Jang YJ, Kim KS, et al: Seoul: Daehannarae publishers; 2016: 3-7.
3. Korea Laws. Health&Medical Law. Medical Technicians[Internet]. [cited 2018 Aug 24]. Available from: http://www.law.go.kr/main.html
4. Park JR, Kang KH, Kim SA, Lee KY, Lee SM, Chang JH, et al. Dental hygienist. Second job analysis study. Seoul: Korea Health Personnel Licensing Examination Institute; 2012: 116-71.
5. Han YK, Kim EK, Kim SH, Bae SM, Yang JY, Yoo JS et al. Dentist’s views on actual work and legal affairs of Dental Hygienists. Seoul: Korean Dent Hyg Assoc; 2017: 33-53.
6. Hyeung JH, Jang YJ. The opinions of health care workers on the inclusion of dental hygienists in the category of medical personnel. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2017;17(6):1013-24. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2017.17.06.1013
7. Park JH, Kim MS, Cho JW. Dentists’ opinions for dental hygienists’ roles in Korea. J Korean Acad Oral Health 2010;34(1):88-97.
8. Choi YR, Seo HY, Ryu EJ, Choi EM. Dental hygienists’ awareness of medical technician jurisprudence. J Dent Hyg Sci 2016;16(6):495-501. https://doi.org/10.17135/jdhs.2016.16.6.495
9. Jang YJ. A study on dental hygienists’ knowledge and attitude towards medical related laws. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2017;17(2):295-305. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2017.17.02.295
10. Kim SI, Jun MK, Lee SM. Needs of revision of dental hygienist-related medical law. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2016;16(5):677-85. https ://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2016.16.05.677
11. Jang YJ. A study on dental hygienists’ knowledge and attitude towards medical related laws. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2017;17(2):295-305. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2017.17.02.295
12. Choi YR, Seo HY, Ryu EJ, Choi EM. Dental hygienists’ awareness of medical technician jurisprudence. J Dent Hyg Sci 2016;16(6):495-501. https://doi.org/10.17135/jdhs.2016.16.6.495
13. Han SY, Kim NH, Yoo JA, Kim CS, Chung WG. Currentstatus of clinical dental hygiene education based on dentalhygiene process of care. J Dent Hyg Sci 2009;9(3):271-8.
14. Darby ML, Walsh MM. Dental hygiene theory and practice.2nd ed. Elsevier, USA, 2003: 3-30.
15. Moon SE, Kim YJ, Kim SY, Joe HE, Kang HJ, Hong SH, et al. A Feasibility Study on Dental Hygienists’ Periodontal Treatment Range. Seoul: Korean Dent Hyg Assoc; 2017: 32-121.
16. Hwang YS, Lee ES, Jung JY, Ha JE, Hwang SJ, Joe WH. Educational proposal for enhancement of speciality required for dental hygienist as medical personnel. Seoul: Korean Assoc Dent Hyg Prof; 2018: 45-50.
17. Lee JY, Han GS. A study on clinical feasibility and practical strategies for dental hygiene process (ADPIE). J Dent Hyg Sci 2014;14(4):433-41. https://doi.org/10.17135/jdhs.2014.14.4.433
18. Lim MH, Han SJ, Jung JY. A study dentist’s awareness about dental hygienist’s works and duty division. J Dent Hyg Sci 2004;6(1):71-86.
19. Park JH, Kim MS, Cho JW. Dentists’ opinions for dental hygienists’ roles in Korea. J Korean Acad Oral Health 2010;34(1):88-97.
20. Bae SS, Kim SK, Noh HJ, Jo HS, Nam JR, Kim SO, et al. A study on a standard proposal for dental hygienists’ clinical organizational structure. Seoul: Korean Dent Hyg Assoc; 2015; :38-41.
21. Williams SA, Bradley S, Godson JH, Csikar JI, Rowbothan JS. Dental therapy in the United Kingdom: part 3. Financial aspects of current working practices. Br Dent J 2009;207(10):477-83. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.bdj.2009.1010
22. Choi YK, Han YK, Bae SM, Kim J, KIm HJ, Ahn SY. Study on current curriculum analysis of clinical dental hygiene for dental hygiene students in Korea. J Dent Hyg Sci 2017;17(6):523-32. https://doi.org/10.17135/jdhs.2017.17.6.523
23. Cho YS, Kim YJ, Ahn GS. An analysis of pre-dental hygiene curriculum of dental hygiene programs in USA and in Canada. J Dent Hyg Sci 2006;6:41-5.