Department of Dental Hygiene, Chungcheong University1
Department of Dental Hygiene, Masan University2
Department of Dental Hygiene, Dongnam Health University3
Objectives: The purpose of this study was to review the systems used to evaluate dental hygiene education and to establish priorities for the evaluation index for accreditation to enhance competitiveness and facilitate quality control of dental hygiene education. Methods: A survey of priorities for accreditation evaluation was developed based on input from professors at 43 universities. Data were analyzed using the Analytic Hierarchy Process method with Expert Choice 2000 software. Results: The relative importance of each evaluation area, ranked in descending order, was as follows: vision and operating system; administration and finances; facilities and equipment; educational outcomes; professors; educational process; and students. The importance of the evaluation part was highest in field training at the education process part and scholarship at the student part. The importance after applying complex weights was highest in establishing a development plan for the vision and operating system. Conclusions: Practical accreditation evaluation based on objectivity and validity is needed to control the quality of dental hygiene education. Therefore, priorities in accreditation evaluation standard must be determined to establish a basis for quality improvement in education at dental hygiene departments.
1. Choi KJ, Shin DE. A study on the criteria of six academic discipline evalution areas based on the system theory. J Ped Edu 2012;19(1):157-81.
2. Yang EB. A study on the validity of accreditation standards for medical schools in Korea [Doctor dissertation]. Seoul: Univ. of Yonsei. 2000.
3. Gelmon SB. Can educational accreditation drive interdisciplinary learning in the health professions?. J on Quality Improvement 1996;22(3):213-22.
4. Park NG. Suggestions for the program acceditation system. J Edu Admin 2003;21(1):269-90.
5. Chae SH, Noh HJ, Jeong GW, Kim HN, Maeng HM, Cho YS, et al. Research on dental hygieniests’ clinical skill proficiency in core dental hygiene competency. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2016;16(5):651-60. https://doi.org/10.13065/jkdhs.2016.16.05.651.
6. Song GH. Prospect of university education in Korea and nursing education accreditation certification. The Korean Acad Soc Nurs Edu 2013;7-14.
7. Seo DJ. Institute of medical education and accreditation board for engineering education. Korean Medical Education Review 2000;2(1):57-69.
8. Jung KJ, Chin YR, Kim HG, Kim CM, Song YY, Kim SY, et al. Direction of the community health nursing practice education focusing on the nursing education accreditation criteria. J Korean Acad Comm Health Nurs 2016;27(2):183-92. https://doi.org/10.12799/jkachn.2016.27.2.183.
9. Kim KN, Kim YJ, Kim JA, Kim JY, Kim KK, Lee JI, et al. The present situation and future direction of the Korean dental education accreditation system:present and future. J Korean Dent Assoc 2015;53(3):201-15.
10. Ahn DS. Improvement measures and present condition of medical education accreditation system. Research Institute for Health Care Policy Korean Medical Association 2015;13(2):38-44.
11. Lim KY, Kim MG, Kim YC, Park WK, Ahn DS, Lee JA. Improvement measures of medical, education accreditation system. Seoul: Korean Med Assoc; 2011: 1-166.
12. Lee YM, Yoon TY, Kim SY, Roh HR, Park SY, Park JY, et al. Development of outcome measurement toolkits in basic medical education program evaluation and accreditation. Seoul: Korean Medical Associaton; 2018: 1-185.
13. Kim MJ. Critical review of the influence of the accreditation system on nursing education. Korean Soc Nurs Sci 2011:9-31.
14. Commission on Dental Associtation(CODA). [Cited 2018 Jun 30]. Availiable from: http://www.ada.org/en/coda.
15. Bae SM, Shin SJ, Jang JH, Chung WG, Mun SJ. Implementation of assesment in a competency-based dental hygiene science education. Cheonan: Korean Association of Dental Hygiene Professors; 2014: 1-118.
16. Lee MS, Yeon DY, Shin KR, Korean dental hygienists association. Public hearing for Korean dental hygiene education accreditation system. Seoul: The national assembly of The Republic of Korea; 2014: 1-65.
17. Satty, Thomas L. Decision marking with the analytic hierarchy process. International Journal of Services Sciences 2008;1(1):83-98.
18. Hong IS. A study on the priority analysis of environmental assessment indicators for road route alignment [Master’s thesis]. Suwon: Univ. Ajou, 2010.
19. Lee JI, Kim HH. A study on the prioritization of SNF(Spent Nuclear Fuel) management policy by AHP analysis. J Korean Policy Analysis Evaluation 2015;25(3):133-70.
20. Kim KH. Faculty perception of the improvement and effort for the achievement of quality in nursing programs. Korean Medical Education Review 2011;13(2):59-68.
21. Ha YW, Kim YG, Hawang KJ. Business education accreditation and AOL evaluation system. Korean Business Review 2011;14(3):251-79.