Department of Dental Hygiene, Namseoul University, General Graduate School1
1Department of Dental Hygiene, Namseoul University2
Objectives: The purposes of this study were to comprehend the subjective dental health status and the level of dental health knowledge in some middle school students and to analyze the correlation with dental health behaviors. Methods: A survey was conducted in some middle school students and the final 637 survey data were analysed. As the statistical analysis methods, the subjective dental health status, dental health knowledge and dental health behaviors according to the general characteristics were analyzed by independent t-test, one way ANOVA and Scheffe. The correlations among the subjective dental health status, dental health knowledge and dental health behavior were found by Pearson’s correlation and multiple regression analysis. Results: Through correlation analysis of the subjective dental health status, dental health knowledge and dental health behavior, all showed a significant correlation. As a result of the factor analysis affecting dental behaviors, subjective dental health status was the highest (β= 0.304, p<0.001). Conclusions: The results of this study suggest that the improvement of subjective dental health status and dental health knowledge related to dental behaviors health in the middle school students should be considered. In addition, dental health education should focus on improving subjective dental health status through motivation rather than knowledge transfer training. Moreover, development programs appropriate for the middle school students whose behavioral changes are hard to obtain are needed.
1. Mulye TP, Park MJ, Nelson CD, Adams SH, Irwin CE, Brindis CD. Trends in adolescent and young adults health in the United States. J Adolesc Health 2009;45(1):8-24. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jadohealth.2009.03.013.
2. Broadbent JM, Thomson WM, Poulton R. Oral health beliefs in adolescence and oral health in young adulthood. J Dent Res 2006;85(1):339-43.
3. Lim KO, Choi JH. Survey on oral health behavior and knowledge of middle school students. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2011;11(2):243-50.
4. Ministry of Health & Welfare. 2015 Korean children’s oral health survey, Sejong: Ministry of Health & Welfare; 2015: 123-44.
5. Ministry of education, ministry of health and welfare. Korea centers for disease control and prevention. The tenth Korea youth risk behavior web-based survey. Sejong: Ministry of Health; 2016: 258-76.
6. Moon SJ, Kim HN, Goo IY. Research on the smoking conditions of college students and the behavior and awareness of oral hygiene. J Contents Assoc 2012;12(11):258-66. https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2012.12.11.258
7. Kim DJ, Lee SY, Ki M, Kim MH, Kim SS, Kim YM, et al. Developing health inequalities indicators and monitoring the status of health inequalities in Korea. Seoul: Korea Institute for Health and Social Affairs; 2013: 44-53.
8. Hildebrand V, Van Kerm P. Income inequality and self-rated health status: evidence from the European community household panel. Demography 2009;46(4):805-25.
9. Luchi CA, Peres KG, Bastos JL, Peres MA. Inequalities in self rated oral health in adults. Rev Saude Publica 2013;47(4):1-10. https://doi.org/10.1590/S0034-8910.2013047004364
10. Kwon SJ, Kang JH, Kim NJ, Kim RJ, Kim SY, Kim SI, et al. Relationships between dietary behaviors with smoking, drinking situations and subjective health status of university students. J Dent Hyg Sci 2012;12(2):145-53.
11. Matthias RE, Atchison KA, Lubben JE, Jong FD, Schweitzer SO. Factors affecting self-ratings of oral health. J Public Health Dent 1995;55(4):197-204. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1752-7325.1995.tb02370.x
12. Lee DG, Yoo WK. Relations between oral health status and subjective oral health recognition in Korean adolescents. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2015;15(4):593-602. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2015.15.04.593
13. Lee EK, Cho MS, Lim HJ. A study on factors affecting the oral health promotion behavior of middle school students based on perceived oral health. J Korea Academia-Industrial Cooperation Soc 2011;12(12):5811-8.
14. Lee CS, Lee SM. The analysis of the oral health awareness, knowledge and actual oral health care of middle schoolers in some regions. J Dent Hyg Sci 2008;8(3):117-22.
15. Kang BW, Kim KS, Na HJ, Nam YS, Moon SE, Park MS, et al. Preventive dentistry. 4th ed. Seoul: Koonja; 2012: 352-3.
16. Ministry of Education. 2015 Middle school selection curriculum[internet].[cited 2017 Dec 15] Available from : http://www.moe.go.kr/boardCnts/view.do?boardID=141&boardSeq=60747&lev=0&searchType=S&statusYN=C&page=1&s=moe&m=040401&opType=N.
17. Yoo JS, Park MS, Kim JH. A study of oral health fact of high school students in certain district. J Korean Soc Sch Health 2007;8(1):49-59.
18. Hwang JM, Han JY. A study on the oral health promotion behavior of high schoolers in a part. J Dent Hyg Sci 2009;9(2):197-202.
19. Yoo JS, Kim JH, Han SJ, Sim SH, Kim YS. A descriptive study of oral hea1th knowledge & behaviors in middle school students. J Korean Soc Sch Health 2008;9(1):85-97.
20. Lim KO, Choi JH. Survey on oral health behavior and knowledge of middle school students. . J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2011;11(2):243-50.
21. Choi GY, Ju JW. Influence on oral health behavior oral health knowledge of and attitude and dental education experience of high school students. J Korean Soc Sch Health 2012;13(3):33-42.
22. Lee HY, Chun JY. Influence of perceived oral health interest and recognition in academic boys’ high school students upon oral health practice in some regions. J Dent Hyg Sci 2011;11(1):1-6.
23. Lee DG, Yoo WK. Relations between oral health status and subjective oral health recognition in Korean adolescents. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2015;15(4):593-602.
24. Kim SR, Han SJ. The relationship between perceived oral health status and entrance exam stress levels in high school students. J Dent Hyg Sci 2015;15(4): 509-17. https://doi.org/10.17135/jdhs.2015.15.4.509
25. Lim JY. Effect of oral health class by school nurse on children’s oral health knowledge and oral health behavior. Cheonnam J Nursing Sci 2003;8(1):163-72.
26. Byeon SY. A study on the influence of dental-health education on dental-health knowledge, dental-health behavior and dental-hygiene condition for male students of a high school [Master’s thesis]. Incheon: Univ. of In-ha, 2004.
27. Shin KH. Effectiveness of oral health promotion on the oral health education in some high school students. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2012;12(5):933-42.
28. Jang BJ. Relations between mothers oral health knowledge and behavior and their children’s oral health behavior. J Korean Soc School Health 2006;19(2):49-57.
29. Woo SH. The relation of mother’s knowledge of and attitudes towards oral health with their children’ attitudes toward oral health[Master’s thesis]. Seoul: Univ. of Yonsei, 2000.
30. Lee SH. Relationship between health behavior and health status of youth of multicultural families: in comparison with youth of korean families[Master’s thesis]. Daegu: Univ. of Keimyung, 2016.
31. Yeo AN, Lee SY. The convergent effects of oral health education feedback using Qryacam™. J Korea Converence 2017;8(3):63-70. https://doi.org/10.15207//JKCS.2017.8.3..063