Department of Dental Hygiene, Shin-han University1
Objectives: The purpose of this study was to contribute to develope dental health intervention standard curriculum for dementia patients by identifying the extent of knowledge, attitudes and educational needs toward dementia in the dental hygiene department students. Methods: The study was conducted in the students of the dental hygiene department in colleges and universities, nationwide (from the first year students to the 3rd or 4th year students) for approximately 2 months from March to April, 2018. Among them, 545 students were selected as the subjects for the final analysis. Results: 91.0% of the subjects were not currently receiving education on dementia. The research on the factors to impact the dementia education needs of the subjects showed that the dementia education necessity (p<0.001) and the dementia attitude (p<0.001) had statistically significant effects on the educational needs on dementia. Conclusions: It is considered that the standard education curriculum for the dental health intervention for dementia patients in the department of dental hygiene should be developed and disseminated. This will provide a basis for the dental hygienists to be equipped with the relevant expertise in the intervention in the dental health of dementia patients in the future.
1. Kwon JD. Evaluation and policy considerations of the dementia care system in the perspectives of the social welfare policy for the elderly. Health and Social Welfare Review 2018;38(1):9-36. https://doi.org/10.15709/hswr.2018.38.01.9
2. Kim HJ, Moon SY, Kim SY, Han SH. Assessment of the quality of life in patients with Alzheimer’s disease. J Korean Neurol Assoc 2008;26(4):308-13.
3. Kalaria RN, Maestre GE, Arizaga R, Friedland RP, Galasko D, Hall K, et al. Alzheimer’s disease and vascular dementia in developing countries: prevalence, management, and risk factors. Lancet Neurol 2008;7(9):812-26. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1474-4422(08)70169-8
4. Ministry of Health and Welfare. 2012 National survey of dementia elderly [Internet]. Ministry of Health and Welfare; 2013.[cited 2018 May 7]. Available from: https://www.mohw.go.kr/front_new/al/sal0301vw.jsp?PAR_MENU_ID=04&MENU_ID=0403&CONT_SEQ=286138.
5. Cho MJ, Park DO, Song KB. Influence of denture wearing on a mini-mental state examination (MMSE-K) in the elderly. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2016;16(2):295-301. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2016.16.02.295
6. Yang DW, Cho BL, Chey JY, Kim SY, Kim BS. The development and validation of Korean dementia screening questionnaire(KDSQ). J Korean Neurol Assoc 2002;20(2):135-41.
7. Ryoo EN, Park KS. Validity, Reliability and efficiency of pain self-report scale in elderly with dementia. Korean J Adult Nurs 2011;23(2):111-22.
8. Lim YM. Nursing intervention for grooming performance of elders with cognitive impairments. Korean Gerontological Nursing Society 2000;2(2):105-16. https://doi.org/10.1067/mgn.2000.02.02.105
9. Kim JK, Chong BH. Effect of physical activity of patient with dementia. J Soc Occup Therapy for the Aged and Dementia 2007;1(2):70-9.
10. Kim EJ. Factors influencing care dependency in patients with dementia. J Korea Acad Nurs 2003;33(6):705-12. https://doi.org/10.4163/jnh.2003.33.06.705
11. Ribeiro GR, Costa JL, Ambrosano GM, Garcia RC. Oral health of the elderly with Alzheimer’s disease. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol 2012;114(3):338-43. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.oooo.2012.114.03.338
12. Ghezzi EM, Ship JA. Dementia and oral health. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 2000;89(1):2-5.
13. Kim ES, Hong MH. Percieved oral health awareness in dementia and dementia suspected depending on KMME. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2015;15(2):217-23. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2015.15.02.217
14. Cho MJ, Jung EK, Lee SS, Choi YH, Song KB. The relationship between the number of remaining teeth and senile dementia: A pilot study. J Korean Acad Oral Health 2015;39(3):214-19. https://doi.org/10.11149/jkaoh.2015.39.03.214
15. Yamamoto T, Kondo K, Hirai H, Nakade M, Aida J, Hirata Y. Association between self-reported dental health status and onset of dementia: A 4-year prospective cohort study of older Japanese adults from the aichi gerontological evaluation study(AGES) project. Psychosom Med 2012;74(3):241-8. https://doi.org/10.1097/PSY.2012.74.03.241
16. Kim KM, Kim SI, Choi JS, Nam Kyung EJ, Choi YK, Park DY. Dental communication training courses in dental hygiene schools in Korea. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2017;17(1):123-32. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2017.17.01.123
17. Choi YK, Shin BM, Son JH, Park DY. Effectiveness and learning experience of dental communication course training in dental hygiene schools. J Korean Dent Hyg Sci 2016;16(2):134-41. https://doi.org/10.17135/jdhs.2016.16.02.134
18. Seoul Metropolitan Center for Dementia. 2010 Seoul dementia management project guidelines. Seoul: Seoul Metropolitan Center for Dementia; 2010: 1-3.
19. Cho HO. A Study on the knowledge and attitudes of the general people about dementia[Master’s thesis]. Seoul: Univ. of Hanyang, 1999.
20. Seoul Metropolitan Center for Dementia. Seoul Metropolitan City Dementia Management Project Educational Resource Book: Citizen’s Dementia Prevention Education 2009. Seoul: Seoul Metropolitan Center for Dementia; 2009: 1-10.
21. Kim SH. Knowledge, attitude, and recognized service requirements for dementia concerning students of the department of nursing science and social welfare[Master’s thesis]. Wanju: Univ. of Woosuk, 2013.
22. Kwon BI. A study on the recognition and attitude of college students toward the aged with dementia in Chung Cheong Buk - Do[Master’s thesis]. Cheongju: Univ. of Cheongju, 2008.