Department of Dental Hygiene, Cheongam College1
Objectives: This study explored the perception and practice of privacy protection of some dental hygiene students. Methods: On the basis of survey data from 126 respondents, the correlation between the perception and the practice was analyzed. Also the multiple regression analysis was performed on the variables that affect the practice. Cronbach's α of the questionnaire was more than 0.6. The items were scored on 5 points scale or true-false type. Results: The perception of privacy protection was 3.23 points, the law is 0.88 points, and the practice is 3.47 points. The educated students were more perceive than those who did not(p<0.05). The higher the perception, the higher the practice(r=0.230, p<0.01). The practice was influenced by the perception(p<0.05). Conclusions: Dental hygiene students should be educated to perceive and protect the personal and medical information of a patient. Also, an educational institutions need a efforts to protect personal information.
1. National Law Information Center. Personal Information Protection Act[Internet]. National Law Information Center; [cited 2017 Aug 02]. Available form: http://www.law.go.kr/lsInfoP.do?lsiSeq=195062&efYd=20170726#0000
2. Statistics Korea. Status of personal information infringement report by type[Internet]. Korea Communications Commission; [cited 2017 Aug 02]. Available form: http://www.index.go.kr/potal/stts/idxMain/selectPoSttsIdxSearch.do?idx_cd=1366&stts_cd=136602&freq=Y
3. Jeun TJ. The medical information protection and major issues. J Korea Soc Comput Inf 2012;17(12):251-8. https://doi.org/10.9708/jksci/2012.17.12.251
4. Kim YS. Park HS, Ku IY. Perceptions of dental hygienists toward digital dentistry. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2013;13(6):909-16. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2013.13.06.909
5. Bae SM. Medical practitioners’ awareness and practice for personal information protection[Master’s thesis]. Busan: Univ. of Busan, 2014.
6. Kim JS. Usages of medical information and privacy protection : focus on HIPPA and HITECH. Adm Law J 2016;44(2):269-90.
7. Lee SY, So JH. Knowledge and practice of dental practitioners regarding patient’s personal information. J Dent Hyg Sci 2017;17(2):99-107. https://doi.org/10.17135/jdhs.2017.17.2.99
8. Kim J, Han JH. Analysis of grievance handling for medical consumers : the case of dental care institutions. J Dent Hyg Sci 2007;7(3):147-52.
9. Jeong JN, Moon IH. Hospital employees’ knowledge, recognition and practice on the protection of personal information. J Korea Inst Orient Med Inf 2015;21(1):1-13.
10. Jung EY, Jung SJ. A study on perception and practice of protecting the patient medical information in some general hospital employees. Koean J Health Serv Manag 2014;8(4):35-45. https://doi.org/10.12811/kshsm.2014.8.4.035
11. Lee MY, Park YI. A study on the nurse’s perception and performance of protecting patient privacy. J Korean Clin Nurs Res 2005;11(1):7-20. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2016.17.2.416
12. Choi YJ, Kang HK. A study on dental hygienist’ knowledge, awareness and performance of patient’s personal information protection. J Korea acad ind technol 2016;17(2):416-26. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2016.17.2.416
13. Faul F, Erdfelder E, Lang AG, Buchner A. G*Power 3: A flexible statistical power analysis program for the social, behavioral, and biomedical science. Behav Res Methods 2007;39(2):175-91. https://doi.org/10.3758/bf03193146
14. Cohen J. Statistical power analysis for behavioral sciences. 2nd ed. Hillsdale: Elsevier; 1988: 553-8.
15. Jung EY. Association of moral self-concept and ethical values with perception for protection of patient’s personal information among students majored in healthcare administration[Doctoral dissertation]. Gwangju: Univ. of Chosun, 2017.
16. Yonhapnews. MERS private information disclosure in Sungnam city, ‘Out of common sense’ vs’Public interest first’[Internet]. Yonhapnews; [cited 2017 Aug 14]. Available from: http://www.yonhapnews.co.kr/bulletin/2015/06/06/0200000000AKR20150606062900017.HTML?input=1195m
17. Ministry of Health and Welfare. Medical institution privacy guidelines[Internet]. Ministry of Health and Welfare; [cited 2017 Aug 14]. Available from: http://www.129.go.kr/info/info04_view.jsp?n=132
18. Kim CH, Jeong SY, Song YS. Recognition and performance of patient private information protection (PPIP) in nursing students. J Digit Policy & Manag 2013;11(11):479-90. https://doi.org/10.14400/jdpm.2013.11.11.479
19. Jeong SJ, Kim M, Lee CK, Lee CH, Son BC, Kim DW, et al. Cognition and practice on medical information protection of iudustrial health care manager of small and medium sized enterprises. Korean J Occup Environ Med 2011;23(1):53-63.
20. Ministry of the Interior and Safety. Guidelines for collecting personal information[Internet]. [2018 Feb 26]. Available from: https://www.hira.or.kr/bbsDummy.do?pgmid=HIRAA020041000100&brdScnBltNo=4&brdBltNo=9276#none
21. Ministry of the Interior and Safety. Guidelines for collecting personal information. [cited 2018 Feb 26]. Available from: http://mois.go.kr/frt/bbs/type001/commonSelectBoardArticle.do;jsessionid=hwt8pPGEH1Ep3vT9yrvHVoAkc8IEiHI3D2agqFVQ1hQEaxht9fGkF7UUMEnbRVvi.mopwas54_servlet_engine1?bbsId=BBSMSTR_000000000015&nttId=56837