Department of Dental Hygiene, Shin-han University1
Objectives: The purpose of this study was to contribute to the development of standard curriculum on oral health intervention on dementia patients for dental hygienists and dental hygiene professors by identifying the extent of knowledge, attitudes and educational needs on dementia among dental hygienists and dental hygiene professors. Methods: We performed survey to dental hygienists and dental hygiene professors for about 2 months from April to May, 2018. Among them, 325 copies were used for final analysis. Frequencies and percentages were calculated to identify general characteristics of respondents and their dementia-related characteristics, and means and standard deviations were calculated to find out the extent of knowledge, attitudes, and educational needs on dementia among subjects. Multiple regression analysis was performed to investigate the effects on the educational needs on dementia. Results: The analysis on the factors that affect the dementia education needs of the subjects showed that the dementia education necessity (p<0.001) and the dementia attitude (p<0.001) had statistically significant effects on the educational needs on dementia. Conclusions: As a result, dental hygienists who are responsible for oral health intervention of dementia patients need to have proper knowledge about dementia and positive attitude toward dementia patients, so professional education is needed to improve knowledge and positive attitude. This will provide a basis for the dental hygienists to be equipped with the relevant expertise in the intervention in the oral health of dementia patients in the future.
1. Lee JE, Jang YJ. A comparative study of factors affecting adolescents’' attitudes towards dementia. Health Social Welfare Rev 2016;36(1):233-60. https://doi.org/10.15709/hswr.2016.36.1.233
2. Go HB, Kim MG, Kim JY, Kim HS, Park YS, Seo SH, et al. The relationship between dementia and oral health in some elderly in Daejeon. J Dent Hyg Sci 2016;16(6):481-7. https://doi.org/10.17135/jdhs.2016.16.6.481
3. Kim JK, Chong BH. Effect of physical activity of patient with dementia. J Soc Occup Ther Aged Dement 2007;1(2):70-9.
4. Kim HJ, Moon SY, Kim SY, Han SH. Assessment of the quality of life in patients with Alzheimer's disease. J Korean Neurol Assoc 2008;26(4):308-13. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2008.26.4.308
5. Kim SB. A study of healthcare & social welfare workers' dementia literacy[Master’s thesis]. Seoul: Univ. of Kyung hee, 2018.
6. Ministry of Health and Welfare 2008. Survey on the prevalence of dementia[Internet]. Ministry of Health and Welfare.[cited 2008 April 22]. Available from: http://stat.mw.go.kr/
7. Ministry of Health and Welfare 2015. Management of various risk factors such as alcohol drinking causing dementia[Internet]. Ministry of Health and Welfare.[cited 2014 June 24]. Available from: http://stat.mw.go.kr/
8. Ribeiro GR, Costa JL, Ambrosano GM, Garcia RC. Oral health of the elderly with Alzheimer’s disease. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol 2012;114(3):338-43. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.oooo.2012.114.3.338
9. Ghezzi EM, Ship JA. Dementia and oral health. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 2000;89(1):2-5.
10. Kim ES, Hong MH. Percieved oral health awareness in dementia and dementia suspected depending on KMME. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2015;15(2):217-23. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2015.15.2.217
11. Cho MJ, Jung EK, Lee SS, Choi YH, Song KB. The relationship between the number of remaining teeth and senile dementia: A pilot study. J Korean Acad Oral Health 2015;39(3):214-19. https://doi.org/10.11149/jkaoh.2015.39.3.214
12. Kwon JY, Lee SY. Relationship of between task performance, job satisfaction, and organizational contribution of dental hygienists. J Dent Hyg Sci 2016;16(4):302-09. https://doi.org/10.17135/jdhs.2016.16.4.302
13. Ha EH. Factors influencing educational needs for dementia in nursing students. J Knowledge Info System 2018;19(3):353-63. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2018.19.3.353
14. Park SJ, Park KS, Kim YJ. The effects of geriatric nursing education for nursing students' attitude, perception toward dementia and dementia policy. J Knowledge Info System 2015;16(7):4467-77. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.7.4467
15. Kwon MS, Lee JH. Analysis of knowledge, attitude and service requirements about dementia among nursing students. J Knowledge Info System 2017;18(9):177-85. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2017.18.9.177
16. Yoo KS, So ES. The effectiveness of dementia education for the nursing method of family caregivers of the demented elderly. J Korean Acad Community Health Nurs 2014;25(2):97-108. https://doi.org/10.12799/jkachn.2014.25.2.97
17. Choi YK, Shin BM, Son JH, Park DY. Effectiveness and learning experience of dental communication course training in dental hygiene schools. J Korean Dent Hyg Sci 2016;16(2):134-41. https://doi.org/10.17135/jdhs.2016.16.2.134
18. Seoul Metropolitan Center for Dementia. 2010 Seoul dementia management project guidelines. Seoul: Seoul Metropolitan Center for Dementia; 2010: 1-3.
19. Cho ho. A study on the knowledge and attitudes of the general people about dementia[Master’s thesis]. Seoul: Univ. of Hanyang, 1999.
20. Seoul Metropolitan Center for Dementia. Seoul Metropolitan City Dementia Management Project Educational Resource Book: Citizen's Dementia Prevention Education 2009. Seoul: Seoul Metropolitan Center for Dementia; 2009: 1-10.
21. Broughton M, Smith ER, Baker R, Angwin AJ, Pachana NA, Humphreys MS, et al. Evaluation of a caregiver education program to support memory and communication in dementia: A controlled pretest–.posttest study with nursing home staff. International International J Nurs Stud 2011;48(11):1436-44. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijnurstu.2011.48.11.1436