Department of Dental Hygiene, Shin-han University1
Objectives: This study is to assess the correlation of the changes in dental health-related quality of life before, during, and after orthodontic treatments in the patients. Methods: The self-administered survey was conducted in the patients who completed orthodontic treatments living in Seoul and metropolitan areas using Oral Impact on Daily Performances (OIDP) to identify the relevant factors. Data were analyzed with descriptive statistics of variables, independent t-test, one way ANOVA, and multiple regression analysis. Results: From observations of OIDP before, during, and after orthodontic treatment, discomfort associated with three factors including physical, psychological and social ones showed the statistically significant increases during orthodontic treatment than before the treatment; whereas, it was dramatically dropped afterward. Multiple regression analysis to find the influential factors of satisfaction level on orthodontic treatment by setting before, during, and after OIDP as independent variables and satisfaction on orthodontic treatment as a dependent variable revealed that OIDP before orthodontic treatment and after orthodontic treatment significantly affected satisfaction on orthodontic treatment. Conclusions: The above analysis on the change in patients’ dental health-related quality of life showed that the quality of life improved after the orthodontic treatment. Accordingly, patients’ quality of life and satisfaction level on orthodontic treatment are expected to improve if they strive to maintain healthy dental health through orthodontic treatment.
1. Seong HY, Jeong JH, Lee SY, Cho MS, Ryu HG, Hyeon SK, et al. Influence of clinical characteristics and restriction factors on cooperation for orthodontic treatment in adolescent orthodontic patients. J Dent Hyg Sci 2016;16(1):84-92. https://doi.org/10.17135/jdhs.2016.16.1.84
2. Kang YJ, Seo AR, Kang YS, Jeong BG, Park KS. Oral impact on daily performance and happiness related to orthodontic treatment of some middle and high school students with malocclusion. J Agric Med Community Health 2017;42:69-78. https://doi.org/10.5393/JAMCH.2017.42.2.069
3. World Health Organization quality of life assessment(WHOQOL). Position paper from the World Health Organization. Soc Sci Med 1995;41:1403-9.
4. Jo HY, Jung YS, Park DO, Lee YE, Choi YH, Song KB. The association of oral impacts on daily performances for children(C-OIDP), oral health condition and oral health-related behaviors. J Dent Hyg Sci 2016;16(3):242-8.https://doi.org/10.17135/jdhs.2016.16.3.242
5. Atchison KA, Dolan TA. Development of the geriatric oral health assessment index. J Dent Educ 1990;54:680-7.
6. Slade GD, Spencer AJ. Development and evaluation of the oral health impact profile. Community Dent Health 1994;11:3-11.
7. Adulyanon S, Vourapukjaru J, Sheiham A. Oral impacts affecting daily performance in a low dental disease Thai population. Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 1996;24:385-9.
8. Locker D. Measuring oral health: a conceptual framework. Community Dent Health 1988;5:3-18.
9. Park EM, Yu SY, Jang JH. The effect of satisfaction of dental esthetics on Life quality related to oral health(OHIP-14). J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2011;11(6):863-70.
10. Nam YT. Evaluation of oral health related quality of life of orthodontic patient using oral impact on daily performance(OIDP)[Master’s thesis]. Pusan: Univ. of Pusan, 2014.
11. Lee KY. Factors affecting the satisfaction level of orthodontic patients with dental service. J Dent Hyg Sci 2009;9(1):1-8.
12. Kim HH. (The) relationship between quality of life and oral health status on orthodontic treatment patients by Oral Impact on Daily Performance (OIDP)[Master’s thesis]. Busan: Univ. of Silla, 2017.
13. Lee DG. A study on orthodontic patients’ oral health behavior and satisfaction in teeth straightening results[Master’s thesis]. Daegu: Univ. of Daegu Haany, 2012.
14. Jung MH. Effects of malocclusion and orthodontic treatment on the self-esteem of adolescents. Korean J Orthod 2007;37:56-64.
15. Lee KY, Go EJ. Factors of influencing satisfaction with orthodontic treatment in orthodontic patients. J Dent Hyg Sci 2010;10(2):85-94.
16. Oliveira CM, Sheiham A. Orthodontic treatment and its impact on oral health-related quality of life in Brazilian adolescents. J Orthod 2004;31:20-7. https://doi.org/10.1179/146531204225011364
17. Lee WY, Kim HD, Han BS. Knowledge of orthodontics and malocclusion. Korean J Orthod 1992;22(4):815-22.
18. Jung SH. Analysis of patients` satisfaction about orthodontic treatment with fixed type appliance in the private dental clinics. J Korean Acad Dent Health 2004;28(2):266-78.
19. Lee JH, Han GS. Oral health behavior levels and oral hygiene condition in fixed type orthodontic appliances. J Dent Hyg Sci 2011;11(6):489-95.