Department of Dental Hygiene, Namseoul University, General Graduate School1
Department of Dental Hygiene, Namseoul University2
Objectives: The purpose of this study was to investigate the perception of workplace bullying in the dental hygienists to use them as basic data for improving the organizational relationship of the dental hygienists. Methods: The subjects were 302 dental hygienists that had been working at the dental clinics and dental hospitals. These data were analyzed by SPSS Version 20.0 (IBM Co., Armonk, NY, USA). Factor analysis was used for exploratory and confirmatory data. Independent t-test and one-way ANOVA were used to find out mean differences for verbal violence, improper business, and improper work environment according to characteristics of subjects. Results: Upon the study results, there were statistically significant differences between the verbal violence and working patterns according to the mean differences of the sub-factors on subject’s characteristics. Also, there were statistically significant differences between the improper work environment and all of subject’s characteristics. However, there was no statistically significant differences in the improper business. The factor analysis showed that the Workplace Bullying of the dental hygienists was composed of three elements, namely 'verbal violence', 'improper business,' and ‘improper work environment.’ The validity of the model examined by a confirmatory factor analysis satisfied most of the relevant requirements. The Cronbach's aplha shows a good reliability. Conclusions: In conclusion, it was proven that dental hygienist's Workplace Bullying measurement tool had high validity and reliability. Furthermore, this study can be used to improve dental hygienists' organizational relationship. Therefore, by identifying the recognition of the dental hygienists, this study can contribute to affect a positive influence in the dental hospitals.
1. Lee JH. A study on workplace mobbing[Master’s thesis]. Seoul: Univ. of Korea, 2009.
2. Quine L. Workplace bullying in nurses. J Health Psychol 2001;6(1):73-84. https://doi.org/10.1177/135910530100600106
3. Krivet. publication, etc data, 2015 working paper [internet]. [cited 2017 Sep 12]. Avaliable from http://www.krivet.re.kr/ku/da/kuBCAVw.jsp?gn=E1-E120150798.
4. Pakr J. Workplace bullying. 1st ed. Korea: International labor brief; 2014: 1-3.
5. Seo Y N. The role of culture on workplace bullying: the comparison between the uk and south Korea[Doctoral dissertation]. Nottinghamshire county: Univ. of Nottingham, 2010.
6. Pearson CM, Andersson LM, Porath CL. Workplace incivility. American Psychological Association 2005;8(8):177-200. https://doi.org/10.1037/10893-008
7. Kang JY, Yun SY. A grounded theory approach on nurses’ experience with workplace bullying.J Korean Acad Nurs 2016;46(2):226-37. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2016.46.2.226
8. Rutherford A, Rissel C. A survey of workplace bullying in a health sec-tor organisation. Australian-Health Review 2004;28(1):65-72.
9. Lee Y, Lee M, Bernstein K. Effect of workplace bullying and job stress on turnover intention in hospital nurses. Journal of Korean Academy of Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing 2013;22(2):77-87. https://doi.org/10.12934.jkpmhn.2013.22.2.77
10. Einarsen S, Hoel H. The negative acts questionnaire: development, validation and revision of a measure of bullying at work. 10th ed. Prague: European congress on work and organizational psychology; 2001: 74-81.
11. Giorgi G. Mobbing a new organizational virus[doctoral dissertation]. Italy verona: Univ. of verona, 2007.
12. Nam W, Kim JW, Kim YK, Koo JW, Park CY. The reliability and validity of the negative acts questionnaire-revised(NAQ-R) for nurses for the assessment of workplace bullying. Korean J Occup Environ Med 2010;22(2):129-39.
13. Lee YJ, Lee MH. Development and validity of workplace bullying in nursing-type inventory(WPBN-TI). J Korean Acad Nurs 2014;44(2):209-18. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2014.44.2.209
14. Jeong SR. Organizational conflict level and job satisfaction of dental hygienists[Master’s thesis]. Daegu: Univ. of Kyungpook National, 2011.
15. Tabachnick B, Fidell L. Using multivariate statistics. 5th ed. Boston: Allyn&Bacon; 2007: 566-70.
16. Einarsen S, Hoel H, Zapf D, Cooper C. Bullying and emotional abuse in the work-place: International perspectives in research and practice. 1st ed. London: Taylor & Francis; 2003: 3-30.
17. Heather K, Amanda N. Exposure to workplace bullying and post-traumatic stress disorder symptomology: the role of protective psychological resources. J of Nursing Management 2015;23(2):252-62.
18. Dirim A, Yildirim D. Mobbing in the workplace by peers and managers: mobbing experienced by nurses working in healthcare facilities in turkey and its effect on nurses. J of Clinical Nursing 2007;16(8):1444-53. https://doi.org/10.111/j.1365-2702.2006.01814.x
19. Kang JY, Yun SY, A grounded theory approach on nurses’ experience with workplace bullying.J Korean Acad Nurs 2016;46(2):226-37. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2016.46.2.226
20. Abe K, Henly SJ. Bullying(ijime) among japanese hospital nurses: modeling responses to the revised negative acts questionnaire. Nurs-ing Research 2010;59(2):110-8. https://doi.10.1097/NNR.0b013e3181d1a709
21. Lee SM, Choi WJ, Han GS, Kim CH.. Influencing factors of turnover intention of dental hygienists using by the path analysis. J Dent Hyg Sci 2013;23:941-9. https://doi.10.13065/jksdh.2013.06.941
22. Choi WJ. Factors affecting employment separation intentions dental hygienists[Master’s thesis]. Gachon: Univ. of Incheon, 2012.
23. Koong HS, Kim SM. A study on job stress and eating behavior and habits of dental hygienists. J Dent Hyg Sci 2012;12(5):525-34.
24. Cho EJ, Lim SR. A qualitative research on conflict experiences of clinical dental hygienists. J Dent Hyg Sci 2016;16(6):449-57. https://doi.org/10.17135/jdhs.2016.16.6.499
25. Kwon JY, Lee SY. Relationship of between task performance, job satisfaction, and organization contribution of dental hygienists. J Dent Hyg Sci 2016;16(4):302-9. https://doi.org/10.17135/jdhs.2016.16.4.302
26. Lee YJ, Lee MH, Kunsook BS. Effect of workplace bullying and job stress on turnover intention in hospital nurses. J Korean Acad Psychiatr Ment Health Nurs 2013;22(2):77-87. https://doi.org/10.12934/jkpmhn.2013.22.2.77