Department of Dental Hygiene, Shin-han University1
Objectives: The purpose of this study was to evaluate the perception of dental hygienists and look for ways to inform the dental hygienist correctly by investigating factors influencing the perception of dentalhygienists. Methods: The final analysis population for this study was composed of 302 adults aged 20 years or older who were living in Seoul or Gyeonggi-do. Statistical analysis of the collected data was conducted using the SPSS WIN 22.0 statistical program. Results: When factors influencing perceptions of dental hygienists were investigated, educational background beyond high school (p<0.05), educational background beyond college (p<0.001), occupation (student, p<0.05), title (dental hygienist, p<0.01), and whether dental hygienists offered comfort during treatment (yes, p<0.001) were found to exert statistically significant influence. In other words, participants with educational background beyond high school and college, student, participants who call the title dental hygienists, and participants who felt comforted by dental hygienists during treatment had better perceptions of dental hygienists. Conclusions: Based upon the results as mentioned above, It will be needed more training to enhance the skills of a dental hygienist patient response. Also participants who felt comforted by dental hygienists during treatment had better perceptions of dental hygienists. This indicates a need to devise ways to better foster the ability of dental hygienists.
1. Park YK. A case study of the management strategies of Kyunghee university dental hospital[Master’s thesis]. Seoul: Univ. of Kyunghee, 2000.
2. Lee HJ, Jeon ES. A research on the questionnaires about Busan citizens understanding of the tooth whitening. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2006;6(1):79-91.
3. Kim CH, Lee JY, Lee HO. The effects of the medical service by service instruction of dental health care worker. J Dent Hyg Sci 2001;1(1):59-65.
4. Choi JS, Lee SB. A study on the patient`s expectation toward quality care of dental services. J Dent Hyg Sci 2002;2(1):1-9.
5. Kim SH. A study on the theoretical model of the role of the dental hygienist. J Korean Acad Dent Hyg 2000;2(1):1-21.
6. Enforcement decree of the medical personnal act, etc. Article 2.
7. Kang BW. A study on the causal factors of the organizational commitment; Korean dental hygienists case[Doctoral dissertation]. Seoul: Univ. of Kyonggi, 1999.
8. Ra SY. A study on the cognition for dental hygienist of university students in Seoul, Korea[Master’s thesis]. Seoul: Univ. of Dankook, 2005.
9. Kwak YL. Dentists’ awareness of dental hygienists’ work[Master’s thesis]. Seoul: Univ. of Kyunghee, 2013.
10. Shin KS. A study on the recognition and image of dental hygienist; Comparative analysis on the patient and the general[Master’s thesis]. Cheonan: Univ. of Dankook. 2009.
11. Kang BW. Kwon HS, Nam YO, Won BY, Lee HS, Jang GW, et al. Introduction to dental hygiene. 3rd ed. Seoul: Cheonggu publishing; 2003: 15.
12. Choi JS, Lee MJ. Analysis of the related factors of dental manpower`s beliefs. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2007;7(3):231-45.
13. Lee EJ, Choi JM. The effect of the dental patients` perception about dental hygienist on the social demand of dental hygienist. J Dent Hyg Sci 2012;(12)4:392-403.
14. Youn HJ, Jung JO, Lee KH. Dental hygienist image among dental hygiene students according to clinical practice experience. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2012;12(4):781-92.
15. Chung WG, Son AR, Jung HR, Kim JY, Ha JE, Heo SH, et al. Cognition and perception of community members about dental hygienist`s job. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2006;6(4):403-17.
16. Shin SC. Dental travel in the world. 1st. Seoul: Koonja publishing co.; 1994: 23-35.
17. You MS. (A) Study on the perception and preference of dental hygienist[Master’s thesis]. Jeonju: Univ. of Chonbuk National, 2003.
18. Han SJ. A study on the elements of patient’s satisfactory in the service of dental facility[Master’s thesis]. Seoul: Univ. of Dankook. 1999.
19. Lee MR, Ji MG. Study on awareness and images of dental hygienists in some college students. J Korea Entertain Indus Assoc 2015;9(2):211-8. https://doi.org/10.21184/jkeia.2015.06.9.2.211