Graduate School of Dental Hygiene, Yonsei University1
Department of Nursing, Wonju College of Medicine, Yonsei University2
Department of Dental Hygiene, Wonju College of Medicine, Yonsei University3
Objectives: This study was carried out to identify plans to activate home visit oral care services by dental hygienists in Long-term care insurance. Methods: In-depth interviews were carried out with 21 Long-term Home Care Center Managers as target. A total of 21 (27%) Home Care Centers were selected through convenience sampling among 78 Home Care Centers that are located in Won-ju city. The Managers were presented with questions and answered in 20-30 minutes in accordance with the interview instructions. The interview results were analyzed through content analysis, and their experiences and perceptions were classified into two themes and categorized again into four components. Results: The Home Care Center Managers suggested that dental hygienists should activate home-visit oral hygiene services. It is necessary to improve the management process and awareness of the elderly. Conclusions: To activate oral hygiene services, it is necessary to improve the service guideline and enhance the efficiency of the service process. This should be acceptable both to the elderly who need the services and the dental hygienists who provide them.
1. National health insurance service. 2016 Long term care insurance statistical yearbook. 2017 [Internet]. [cited 2018 Feb 12]. Available from: http://www.nhis.or.kr/menu/retriveMenuSet. xx?menuId=F332a
2. Kwon SM, Park JS. The effect of health promotion program for frail elderly residents on health promoting behavior and health status. Korean J Adult Nurs 2013;25(2):194-206. https://doi. org/10.7475/kjan.2013.25.2.194
3. El-Solh AA, Pietrantoni C, Bhat A, Aquilina AT, Okada M, Grover V, et al. Microbiology of severe aspiration pneumonia in institutionalized elderly. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2003; 167(12):1650-4. https://doi.org/10.1164/rccm.200212-1543OC  Löe H. Oral hygiene in the prevention of caries and periodontal disease. Int Dent J 2000;50(3):129-39. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1875-595X.2000.tb00553.x
4. Hong CHL, Aung MM, Kanagasabai K, Lim CA, Liang S, Tan KS. The association between oral health status and respiratory pathogen colonization with pneumonia risk in institutionalized adults. Int J Dental Hygiene 2017;16(2):e96-102. https://doi.org/10.1111/ idh.12321
5. Song MS, Song HJ. A study of the factors associated with home-based benefit recommendation of the standard utilization plan in Long-term care insurance: focusing on adequacy of standard utilization plan. Korean J Gerontol Social Welfare 2015;69(0):31-49.
6. Maeng JY, Lee YJ. Inequality and change in regional distribution of Long-term in-home care institutions. Korean J Gerontol Social Welfare 2017;72(2):85-112.
7. Lim JY, Kim EJ, Choi KW, Lee JS, Noh WJ. Analysis of barriers and activating factors of visiting nursing in Long-term care insurance. J of Contents Association 2012;12(8):283-99. https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2012.12.08.283
8. Hoshmand LLT. Alternate research paradigms: a review and teaching proposal. CounsPsychol 1989;17(1):3-79.
9. Korea laws. Welfare of older person act. [Internet]. [cited 2018 Feb 12]. Available from: http://www.law.go.kr/lsInfoP.do?lsiSeq=198754&ancYd=20171103&ancNo=00533&efYd=20171103&nwJoYnInfo=N&efGubun=Y&chrClsCd=010202#0000
10. Korea laws. Social welfare service act. [Internet]. [cited 2018 Feb 12]. Available from: http://www.law.go.kr/lsInfoP.do?lsiSeq=188090&ancYd=20161202&ancNo=14325&efYd= 20161202&nwJoYnInfo=N&efGubun=Y&chrClsCd=010202#0000
11. Korea laws. Act on Long-term care insurance for older person. [Internet]. [cited 2018 Feb 12]. Available from: http://www.law.go.kr/lsInfoP.do?lsiSeq=188085&efYd=20170603#0000
12. JE Morley. Aging in place. J Am Med Dir Assoc 2012;13(6):489-92.
13. Kim CS, Paik DI, Kim HD, Jin BH, Bae KH. The oral health care needs among elderly people with daily activity problems in Yongin city. J Korean Acad Dent Health 2007;31(4):559-67.
14. Noh YK. Direction of long-term care system for the elderly. Seoul: Korea Institute for Health and Social Affairs; 2017: 37-43.
15. Moon GJ. Current status and problem of home visit nursing service within long term care insurance[Master’s thesis]. Seoul: Univ. of Sungshin women’s, 2012.
16. Seok JE. The improvement of Long-term care insurance from the perspective of service providers. Health Welfare Forum 2010;(168):34-44.
17. Korea laws. Medical service technologists, etc, act. [Internet]. [cited 2018 Feb 12]. Available from: http://www.law.go.kr/lsInfoP.do?lsiSeq=199785&efYd=20171219#0000
18. Yoon MS. Suggestions for settlement stable employment culture of dental hygienist. J Den Hyg Sci 2017;17(6):463-71. https://doi.org/10.17135/jdhs.2017.17.6.463