Department of Dental Hygiene, Shin-han University1
Objectives: The purpose of this study was to contribute to the development of basic data for establishing and expanding the dental health centers in the future by examining the awareness of the dental health center establishment and the level of dental health knowledge in the school. Methods: A survey was conducted from April 2017 with 336 students over 10 years old in South Korea to investigate the awareness of the dental health center establishment in the school and their dental health knowledge level. The results were summarized as follows. Statistical analysis of the collected data was performed using the SPSS WIN 21.0 statistical program. Results: It was necessary to establish the dental health centers in the school with their establishment rate of 82.8%, and the reason for the establishment of the dental health center was the possibility of regular checkup with the highest at 43.6%. In the school, 62.8% answered no experience of dental health education with the highest rate. Dental health education in the school was answered to be necessary with 91.0% the most prevalent one. Factors affecting the recognition of the expected effect of establishing the dental health center in the school, it is expected that if the establishment of the oral health center is needed and the oral health education is needed in the school, And the perception of the effect is increased. Conclusions: 91% of the respondents considered that dental health education was necessary and 83% answered they needed dental hygiene. However, only 37.2% of the students experienced dental health education in the school. Therefore, it is necessary to expand the dental health center establishment, and to develop the foundation of life dental health care through regular dental examination and proper brushing education.
1. Lee JH, Jeon ES. Survey on oral health recognition level and support of benefited school teachers by the operating period of incremental school oral health program. J Korea Cont Assoc 2010;10(7):244-52.
2. Shin SH. Correlation between dental caries experience, oral health promotion behaviors, and knowledge of oral health in children and adolescents. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2013;13(4):615-22. https://doi.org/10.13065/iksdh.2013.13.4.615
3. Kim SH, Hwang YS, Kim KS, Jung JY, Yoo YJ, Lim MH, et al. Effect of toothbrushing facilities on php index and oral health-related behaviors in middle schools. J Dent Hyg Sci 2013;13(3): 281-9.
4. Choi OS, Kim HJ, Jang SJ. Effect of continuing dental care program by elementary school dental clinic in Gimcheon. J Korean Dent Hyg Sci 2015;15(4):705-11. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2015.15.04.705.
5. Ministry of Health & Welfare. Guidebook on the 2014 integrated community health promotion plan (in the field of oral health). Seoul: Ministry of Health & Welfare; 2014: 9-17.
6. Kim SK. A study on parent`s consciousness in regard to school-based comprehensive oral health care program. J Korean Dent Hyg Sci 2003; 3(2):117-25.
7. Lim EY. A study on the current state of dental caries according to the operation of a school dental clinic[Master’s thesis]. Daegu: Univ. of Kyungpook National, 2005.
8. Min HH, Min SH. Effects on the school dental clinic operation for children`s oral health. J Korean Dent Hyg Sci 2010;10(3):495-502.
9. Hong SH. Oral health promotion behavior and DMFT-index according to operation/non-operation of elementary-school oral health program among middle school students[Doctoral dissertation]. Daejeon: Univ. of Chungmam National, 2011.
10. Yang JS, Shim HS. An effect of incremental dental health care program in school dental clinic. J Korean Dent Hyg Sci 2005;5(1):29-38.
11. Lee JH, Kim JB, Han DH. Survey on parents’ recognitionand supports for the incremental school oral health using school dental clinic according to the operation period. J Korean Acad Dent Health 2009;33(1):62-70.
12. Choi SL, Kwun HS, Song KB, Lee JH, Kang HK, Choi JM. Effects of school-based oral health programs among schoolchildren: focus on the oral health knowledge and behaviors. J Korean Dent Hyg Sci 2006;6(4):455-67.
13. Ji MK. An investigation on the actual status of oral health care and perceptions of oral health among the under graduates of college of education in Cheongju-si -according to their experiences in oral health care education. J Korean Dent Hyg Sci 2007;7(4):569-82.
14. Song KB, Park HS, Park JY. The effect of fluoride mouthrinsing program on dental health of school children. J Korean Acad Oral Health 1992;16(1):95-112.
15. Lee KH, Jung ES. Factors affecting perception of oral health prevention behavior. J Digit Convergence 2017;15(6):237-47. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2017.15.6.237.
16. Shin KH. Effectiveness of oral health promotion on the oral health education in some high school students. J Korean Dent Hyg Sci 2012;12(5):933-42.