Department of Dental Hygiene, Wonju College of Medicine, Yonsei University1
Department of Dental Hygiene, Hanseo University2
Seoul National University Dental Hospital3
Department of Dental Hygiene, Graduate School, Yonsei University4
Objectives: This study was conducted to identify the requirements for the clinical dental tasks in the dental hygienists using the frequency of dental hygienists’ tasks in the Korean dental clinics, and to provide them with the core competencies for achieving these. Methods: This study was based on evaluation of a self- reported survey. The dental hygienists were investigated upon classification of their tasks into direct and assistant performances, and the dentists were investigated by the competency level of the dental hygienists. The data from 481 clinical dental hygienists and 67 dentists were used for final analysis in this study, excluding the subjects who provided incomplete or inappropriate responses to the survey. The collected data were analyzed by frequency analysis. Results: The clinical dental core competency tasks of the dental hygienists were divided into 4 tasks for common dentistry, 4 for periodontics, 5 for conservative dentistry, 5 for pediatric dentistry, 5 for dental prosthodontics, and 3 for dental orthodontics. Clinical dental core competency tasks of the dental hygienists were performed more frequently of tasks performance than 8.0, and dentists required competence level was similar to that of most dental hygienists clinical dental core competencies. Conclusions: It is necessary to check whether the curricula of the universities include the competencies for the students enough to perform the corresponding tasks and the core competencies need to be reflected in the curricula. The clinical dental core competencies need to be agreed by dental hygienists, and it is necessary to be organized as the evaluation guide of the institute of dental hygiene education and evaluation and utilized as the national examination.
1. National Law Information Center. Enforcement decree of the medical technologists, etc[Internet]. [cited 2018 Jan 31]. Available from: http://www.law.go.kr/lsSc.do?menuId=0&subMenu=1& query=%EC%9D%98%EB%A3%8C%EA%B8%B0%EC%82%AC#undefined
2. Kim EH. A study on the work of dental hygienists and nurse aides[Master’s thesis]. Busan: Univ. of Inje, 2004.
3. Bae SS, Kim SK, Noh HJ, Cho HS, Nam JR, Kim SO, et al. Study on dental hygienist clinical organizational structure standardization. Seoul: Korean Dental Hygienists Association; 2015: 26-62.
4. Korea Health Personnel Licensing Examination Institute. Task analysis of dental hygienists’ (job description). Seoul: Korea Health Personnel Licensing Examination Institute; 2000: 3-309.
5. Park JR, Kang KH, Kim SA, Lee GY, Lee SM, Jang JH, et al. The study of second task ana-lysis of dental hygienists’. Seoul: Korea Health Personnel Licensing Examination Institute; 2012: 8-387.
6. Kim EG, Lim SH, Kwon MY, Choi YY, Han JH. Analysis of tasks and education needs for dental hygienist for development of dental hygiene curriculum. J Dent Hyg Sci 2014;14(1): 35-42.
7. Han YK, Kim EG, Kim SH, Bae SM, Yang JY, Yu JS, et al. A dentist’s view on the practical work and legal work of dental hygienists’. Seoul: Korean Dental Hygienists Association; 2017: 14-88.
8. Han SY, Kim NH, Yoo JH, Kim CS, Chung WG. Current status of clinical dental hygiene education based on dental hygiene process of care. J Dent Hyg Sci 2009;9(3):271-8.
9. Yang SK. Curriculum components affecting the professionalism of dental hygienists. J Dent Hyg Sci 2011;11(5):455-62.
10. Kim EG, Kim YJ, Kim CH, Park MS, Ahn GS, Yoon MS, et al. Standardization and development of dental hygiene education. Seoul: Korean Dental Hygienists Association; 2005: 41-90.
11. Bae SM, Shin SJ, Jang JH, Chung WG, Mun SJ. Implementation of assessment in a compe-tency-based dental hygiene science education. Iksan: Korean Association of Dental Hygiene Professors; 2014: 13-29.
12. Health Policy Institute, Korean Dental Association. 2016 year book of he Korean dentistry. Seoul: Health Policy Institute; 2017: 106-8.
13. Choi HN, Bae HS, Cho YS. Effect of gap between expected job and performed job on turnover intention and job satisfaction in clinical dental hygienists. J Dent Hyg Sci 2011;11(5):463-9.
14. Kim CH, Shin SJ, Shin MS. The awareness of dental hygienist regarding the content of clinical practice education and importance of duty. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2017;17(6):1067-80. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2017.17.06.1067
15. Health Insurance Review & Assessment Service, National Health Insurance Service. 2016 Na-tional health insurance statistical yearbook. Wonju: Health Insurance Review & Assessment Service; 2017: 562-79.
16. Noh HJ, Mun SJ, Bae SS, Kim SK, Jeong JH. The vision of dental hygiene education for im-provement of dental hygiene professionalism: Development of clinical dental hygiene com-pe-tencies for dental hygiene students. Iksan: Korean Association of Dental Hygiene Professors; 2017: 16-54.
17. Finkbeiner BL. Four-handed dentistry revisited. J Contemp Dent Pact 2000;1(4):74-86.
18. Anderson PC, Pendleton AE. The dental assistant. Singapore: Cengage Learning; 2000: 280-3.
19. Korea Health Personnel Licensing Examination Institute. Examination timetable of dental hy-gienists[Internet]. [cited 2018 Feb 7]. Available from: http://www.kuksiwon.or.kr/Examination/ OccuLicense.aspx?PageName=TimeTbl&JobCode=12&SiteGnb=8&SiteLnb=5
20. Korean Institute of Medical Education and Evaluation. Standards for accreditation[Internet]. [cited 2018 May 01]. Available from: http://www.kimee.or.kr/medical-education/criteria/
21. Korean Institute of Dental Education and Evaluation. Certification regulations and standards [Internet]. [cited 2018 May 01]. Available from: http://www.kidee.org/Evaluation/Standard.asp
22. Korean accreditation Board of Nursing Education. Certification evaluation rules and proce-dures[Internet]. [cited 2018 May 01]. Available from: http://kabone.or.kr/kabon02/index03_ 02.php
23. Institute of Korean Medicine Education & Evaluation. Procedure and results of evaluation and accreditation[Internet]. [cited 2018 May 01]. Available from: http://ikmee.or.kr/html_2016/02/ 05.php
24. Korea Health Personnel Licensing Examination Institute. Job descriptions of dentists[Internet]. [cited 2018 May 01]. Available from: http://www.kuksiwon.or.kr/Examination/OccuLicense. aspx?PageName=LicensInfo&JobCode=02&SiteGnb=8&SiteLnb=1