Department of Dental Hygiene, Namseoul University1
Objectives: The purpose of this study was to examine how the dentist’s servant leadership affects the happiness index of dental hygienists. Methods: The subjects were 221 dental hygienists that have been working at dental clinics or dental hospitals. The data were analyzed using SPSS Version 20.0 (IBM Co., Armonk, NY, USA). An independent t-test and one-way ANOVA analysis were conducted to examine the difference in the happiness index of dental hygienists according to general characteristics. The independent t-test was conducted to examine organizational culture and happiness index according to upper and lower group based on the mean score for servant leadership. Pearson’s correlation analysis was used to examine the correlation among key factors. Multiple regression analysis was conducted to identify factors influencing the happiness index of dental hygienists. Results: According to the analysis, there was a statistically significant positive correlation between the dentist’s servant leadership, the organizational culture and the happiness index of dental hygienists. However, a stewardship of the dentist’s servant leadership factors was not found to have any correlation with the market culture. A multiple regression analysis was performed after including the dentist’s servant leadership, the organizational culture and the happiness index of dental hygienists. Meanwhile, the stewardship and community-building effect of the dentist’s servant leadership had a statistically significant effect on the happiness index of dental hygienists. Consequently, a higher servant leadership factor in dentists was correlated with a higher happiness index of dental hygienists. Conclusions: The findings show that the dentist’s servant leadership affect the happiness index of dental hygienists. Therefore, effective intervention and education programs related to the dentist’s servant leadership and sound organizational culture are necessary to enhance dental hygienists’ happiness index. Additionally, a follow-up study will determine the causal relationship among the dentist’s servant leadership, the organizational culture and the happiness index of dental hygienists, considering organizational members and the environment of the dental clinics.
1. Yoon CW. The effects of servant leadership on job attitude and job performance in hos-pitals [Doctoral dissertation]. Busan: Univ. of Dongeui, 2009.
2. Jeong JH, Lee YS, Moon AE. The effects of organizational culture and self-leadership on or-gani-zational effectiveness in oral health professional. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2011;11:395-404.
3. Kim YT, Shin DM. The effect of leadership and organizational culture on organizational effe-cti-veness: a dental clinics-based study. Health Policy Manage 2010;20:73-103. https://doi.org/ 10.4332/KJHPA.2010.20.3.073
4. Rhee JH, Yang YM, Kim CH. Leadership and job satisfaction, organizational commitment and organizational citizenship behavior: focused on the moderating effect of hospital employees’ beliet in public service. Health Policy Manage 2011;16:19-40.
5. Boyer GB. Turning points in the development of male servant-leader[Doctoral dissertation]. The Fielding Institute, 1999.
6. Laub AJ. Assessing the servant organization: development of the servant organizational leader-ship assesment (SOLA) instrument[Doctoral dissertation]. Florida: Univ. of Florida Atlantic, 1999.
7. Kim KN. The effect nursing organizational culture and happiness index on turnover intention among nurses. Korean J Health Serv Manage 2014;8:61-72. https://doi.org/10.12811/kshsm.2014. 2.061
8. Organization for economic cooperation and development. 2017 OECD better life index[Inter-net]. [cited 2017 Jan 15]. Available from: http://www.ksdh.or.kr/2017/page/?pid=02_02.
9. Koo JS, Kim UC. Happiness and subjective well-being among Korean students and adults indigenous psychological analysis. Korean J Psychol Soc Issues 2006;12:77-100.
10. Kim MJ. A comparative study of the consequences of emotional labor between Korea and USA. Korean Hosp Adm 2006;15:35-57.
11. Joung SY, Cho YS. Factors related to subjective well-being of dental hygienists. J Dent Hyg Sci 2015;15(6):736-45. https://doi.org/10.17135/jdhs.2015.15.6.736
12. Spears LC. Servant-leadership: a passion to serve. In: Spears LC, ed. In sights on leadership: service, stewardship, spirit, and servant leadership. 1st ed. John Wily & Sons Inc, New York 1995;13:38-42.
13. Shin SK. A study on the influence of servant leadership on the job attitude of employees: focu-sing on the moderating effect of the emotional intelligence and the managerial competency of the Leader[Doctoral dissertation]. Seoul: Univ. of Kyunghee, 2009.
14. Yang DW. Effects of charismatic leader behavior on follower’s acceptance and performance: testing the moderating effects of self-esteem and situation[Doctoral dissertation]. Gwangju: Univ. of Chonnam National, 2003.
15. Byoun MH. The Effect of the servant leadership on the empowerment and customer orien-ta-tion[Doctoral dissertion]. Suwon: Univ. of Kyonggi, 2014.
16. Wheaton CE. Servant leadership and the public school superintendent[Doctoral dissertation]. Spokane: Univ. of Gonzaga, 1999.
17. Girard SH. Servant leadership qualities by linois public district superintendents[Doctoral dis-ser-tation]. St. Louis: Univ. of Saint Louis, 2000.
18. Greenleaf RK. The servant as leader. 1st ed. Indiana: The Robert K Greenleaf Center; 1970: 7-18.
19. Senge PM. A new foundation for twenty-first century Institutions. In: Robert greenleaf’s legacy. 1st ed. Senge PM: New York; John Wiley& Sons Inc. 1995; 217-39.
20. Chang EJ. A study on the relation among organizational culture, organizational learning and emotional competency[Master’s thesis]. Seoul: Univ. of Ewha Womans, 2012.
21. Oh SJ, Lee SY. Effects of dental organizational structure and organizational culture on know-ledge sharing in dental hygienist. J Digital Convergence 2015;13(11):313-20. https://doi.org/10. 14400/JDC.2015.13.11.313
22. Seo UG, Goo JS. A concise measure of subjective well-being (COMOSWB) scale develop-ment and validation. J Korean Psychol Assoc 2010;25(1):95-113. https://doi.org/G704-000424. 2011.25.1.001
23. Han JY. Effects of the nursing organizational culture and head nurse’s leadership on the job satisfaction. Health Policy Manage 2009;14(3):1-22. http://www.ndsl.kr/ndsl/commons/util/ndsl OriginalView.do?dbt=JAKO&cn=JAKO200912368301741&oCn=JAKO200912368301 741
24. Min HH. Influencing factors on happiness index in clinical dental hygienists. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2015;15(1):1-9. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2015.15.01.1
25. Youn HS. Investigation of factor about influent to treatment to happiness index among dental patients. J Korea Contents Assoc 2014;14(8):257-65. https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2014.14. 08.257
26. Ryu HG. Relationship between happiness and job satisfaction of dental hygienists. J Dent Hyg Sci 2017;17(2):168-74. https://doi.org/10.17135/jdhs.2017.17.2.168
27. Diener E. Subjective well-bing. The science of happiness and a proposal for a national index. Am Psychol 2000;55(1):34-3. https://doi.org/10.1037/0003-066X.55.1.34
28. Leffler KL. Insights on leadership: service, stewardship, spirit, and servant-leadership. J Leader-ship Studies 1998;5(3):167-75.
29. Shin SH, Chang YC. A study on the lnfluence of servant leadership on employees’ trust on the leader-focusing on the leader trust in the historical context of servant leadership. Korean Acad Bus Hist 2011;17(2):168-74. https://doi.org/G704-001733.2011.26.2.012
30. Han DW. Relationship between job performance and suitable type of leadership and organi-za-tional culture. J Crit Soc Policy 2002;3(1):106-32.