Department of Dental Hygiene, Shinhan University1
Objectives: The purpose of this study was to investigate the effects of dental hygiene students' clinical practice stress, satisfaction and major satisfaction on career preparation behaviors. Methods: This study was conducted targeting the dental hygiene students who have clinical practice experience. The final 305 subjects were analyzed using SPSS 22.0 program. Results: The correlation between clinical practice stress and career satisfaction and career preparation behavior decreases with the higher degree of clinical practice and career preparation behavior. Analysis results about the affecting factors on the level of satisfaction with major satisfaction factors showed the highest factor of preparation behavior, followed by clinical practice and clinical practice stress in order. Analysis results about the affecting factors on the showed the highest factor of preparation behavior, followed by clinical practice and clinical practice stress in order. Conclusions: The results of this study showed that the higher the satisfaction of clinical practice and the higher the satisfaction of career, the more positive the career preparation behavior. Therefore, it’s recommended to support continuous education programs to be coherent with dental hygiene student’s career preparation behavior based on reinforcing individual competency by obtaining self-confidence and satisfaction from clinical practice.
1. Choi BK. Factors of oral health knowledge and behavior influencing health state[Master’s thesis]. Kongju: Univ. of Kongju, 2017.
2. Kim JH, Han SJ. The effect of self-leadership on organizational effectiveness and job per-formance in dental hygienist. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2016;16(6):1079-92. https://doi.org/10. 13065/jksdh.2016.16.06.1079
3. Yang SK, Kwon SB. The awareness of dental hygiene students on the dental hygiene cur-riculums. J Korea Academia-Industrial Cooperation Society 2012;13(1):169-77. https://doi.org/ 0.5762/KAIS.2012.13.1.169
4. Yoo JH, Kim JH. A study on the satisfaction and stress factors of clinical practice for dental hygiene students. J Dental Hyg Sci 2016;16(1):62-9. https://doi.org/10.17135/jdhs.2016.16.1.62
5. Kwon YE, Kim SY. Nursing images of nurses clinical practice satisfaction level. J Korean Acad Soc Nurs Educ 2018;24(1):80-8. https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2018.24.1.80
6. Jeon KH, Lim SR, Kim M. The structural relationship among sense of coherence, clinical practice stress, and departmental satisfaction of dental hygiene students. J Dental Hyg Sci 2016;16(5):323-30. https://doi.org/10.17135/jdhs.2016.16.5.323
7. Lee DJ. The relationships among satisfaction in major, gender identity, and gender stereotypes of male nursing students[Master’s thesis]. Kangwon: Univ. of Yonsei, 2004.
8. Ha HS. A study of department satisfaction factors of undergraduate students [Master's thesis]. Seoul: Univ. of Seoul National, 2000.
9. Jang TJ, Moon MK. Factors influencing the career preparation behavior of nursing students. Korean Acad Nurs Adm 2016;22(4):344-52. https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2016.22.4.344
10. Moon IH, Lee GW. The effect of satisfaction in major and career search efficacy on career search behavior in nursing students. Korean Acad Soc Nurs Edu 2010;16(1):83-91.
11. Kim JA. The effects of clinical practice stress, stress coping and empathy on clinical com-pe-tency among nursing students[Master’s thesis]. Daegu: Univ. of Keimyung, 2017.
12. Lee JK. The relationships among clinical competence, clinical practice stress, communication skill & nunchi in nursing Students[Master’s thesis]. Jinju: Univ. of Gyeongsang National, 2015.
13. Park BS. Stress and satisfaction related to clinical practice by sex role identity among nursing students[Master’s thesis]. Kangwon: Univ. of Kwandong, 2009.
14. Jang TJ. The effect of nursing professionalism, satisfaction in major, and self-leadership on career preparation behavior in nursing students[Master’s thesis]. Daegu: Univ. of Keimyung, 2014.
15. Park KS. Self-efficacy and the satisfaction on dental hygiene-majoring students[Master’s thesis]. Jeju: Univ. of Jeju National, 2015.
16. Butters JM, Vaught RL. The effect of an extramural education program on the perceived clinical competence of dental hygiene students. J Dent Educ 1999;63:415-20.
17. Chang BJ, Song KH. A study on the degree of satisfaction of the clinical practice for dental hygiene students. J Dent Hyg Sci 2005;11(1):81-90.
18. Hong SM, Han JH, Kim HK, Ahn YS. A study on the stress of clinical practice, stress coping and somatization for dental hygiene students. J Dent Hyg Sci 2009;9(2):219-24.
19. Han SY, Han YG. A study on the self perceived fatigue of dental hygiene students in clinical practice. J Dent Hyg Sci 2014;14(3):325-31.
20. ]Kim SK, Jung YS. Dental hygiene students’ stress during clinical practices and stress coping styles. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2010;10(5):887-95.
21. Woo CH. Speciality satisfaction, nursing professional value, and positive psychological capital as factors affecting career preparation behavior among nursing college students with clinical practice. Proceedings of the Korea Contents Association Conference 2016;5:287-8.