Doctoral Program in Health Policy & Management
Department of Healthcare Management, Gachon University1
Objectives: The purpose of this study is to find out differences in oral health status, defined as their oral health and oral health quality of life among the elderly depending on their income and education levels. Methods: This study used 922 senior citizens over 65 from the data (2015) of the 6th National Health and Nutrition Survey (NHNS). The regression analysis was adopted to identify factors affecting their oral health status which has effect on their oral health quality of life. The statistical package SPSS 21.0 was employed. Frequency analysis, chi-squared analysis and regression analysis were used, and the significance level or Cronbach's alpha value was 0.05. Results: Depending on income levels, there were differences in their oral health status as to whether they use oral hygiene products, take dental examinations, join private health- insurances, and delay dental treatments or not. And educational levels also made significant differences in their oral health status as to whether they smoke, drink alcohol, how many times they brush teeth a day, whether they use oral hygiene products, take dental treatments, and join private health- insurances. Regression analysis on the relationship between their oral health status and the oral health quality of life showed that there were significant differences depending on whether they take dental treatments, delay dental medical treatments, smoke, take oral examinations, how many times they brush teeth a day, and whether they use oral hygiene products, or join private health-insurances. Conclusions: The study shows that a comprehensive plan is needed to raise attention on proper oral health-care and ultimately to improve the quality of life by considering the daily number of tooth brushing, oral hygiene product use, regular dental treatments, and other medical uses.
1. Chung SD, Chung SM, Kim BYE. The influence of intra-and inter-generational interactions on quality of life of older people: focused on the moderating effects of intra-generational inte-rac-tion. J Korean Soc Welfare Study 2016;47(2):253-80.
2. Ministry of the Interior and Safety. Press release[Internet].[cited 2017 Sep 3]. Available from: http://www.mois.go.kr/frt/bbs/type010/commonSelectBoardArticle.do?bbsId=BBSMSTR_00 0000000008&nttId=59453.
3. Korean Statistical Information Service. Total fertility rate[Internet].[cited 2017 Sep 4]. Avai-lable from: http://www.index.go.kr/potal/main/EachDtlPageDetail.do?idx_cd=1428.
4. Kim SK. Health behaviour and health status among the elderly by socioeconomic status [Doc-toral dissertation]. Incheon; Univ. of Gachon, 2017.
5. Gwon MY, Young JY. A study on the relationships between the oral health activities and oral health conditions of the elderly. J Dent Hyg Sci 2006;6(4):271-6.
6. Khang YH, Lee SI, Lee MS, Jo MW. Socioeconomic mortality inequalities in Korea labor & income panel study. Korean J Health Policy Manage 2016;14(4):1-20.
7. Kim JH, Won SJ. The impact of late-life poverty on self-rated health: A mediated moderation model of health behaviors and social support. J Korean Gerontological Soc 2011;31(3):461-76.
8. Korean Statistical Information Service. Life expectancy table[Internet]. [cited 2017 Sep 4]. Avai--lable from: http://kosis.kr/statHtml/statHtml.do?orgId=101&tblId=DT_1BPA201&conn_path=I2.
9. Choi SL, Jong SH, Bae HS, Ryu YA, Choi YH, Song KB. A survey of denture satisfaction and oral health related quality of life among recipients of the senile prosthetic restoration program for national basic livelihood security. J Korean Acad Dent Health 2005;29(4):474-83.
10. Bae JY. The elders’ general quality of life and oral health-related quality of life. J Korean Cli-nical Health Sci 2015;3(4):466-75.
11. Park JR, Kim HJ, The effect of need of oral health management to oral health impact profile among elderly over 65 years. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2011;11(6):961-71.
12. Pastorino CA, Dicky T. Health promotion for the elderly : Issue and programming planning. Orthopedic Nursing 1990;9(6):33-42.
13. Yoon HS. Relationship of oral health status and oral health care to the quality of life in patients of dental hospitals and clinics. J Dent Hyg Sci 2015;15(5):594-602.
14. Heo AR, Song KS, Cha EJ, Kim KA, Shon Ho Sun. Relationship of oral health status and oral health behaviors to the oral health impact profile (OHIP) of the pregnant women. J Contents Soc 2016;16(8);81-9.
15. Hong SH, Dong JK, Hur IG, Lee TY. The effects of dental prostheses to the quality of life among the elderly. J Korean Acad Prosth 2010;48:101-10.
16. Choi GL, Kim JH. Relations between their subjective oral health state and oral health related quality of life after teeth loss. J Korean Acad Dent Hyg 2010;12(1):1-11.
17. Lee MR, Han GS, Han SJ, Choi JS. Impact of subjectively reported oral health status on the qua-lity of life among adults: Applying the PRECEDE model. J Health Edu Promo 2011; 28(1):23-35.
18. Kim EH, Park MK, Ku IY, Moon SJ, Kim SH. The impact of oral health impact profile (OHIP-14) of subjectively reported oral status in the elderly. J Korea Academia-Industrial Coope-ration Soc 2013;14(9):4349-58.
19. Yoon HS. The effect of subject awareness level of oral health on the quality of life for adult patients who visit hospitals and neighborhood clinics in Busan. J Korea Academia-Industrial Cooperation Soc 2017;18(10):505-12.
20. Choi YJ, Park JS. The effects of oral health belief on oral disease prevention and quality of life. Korean J Health Serv Manage 2016;10(3):113-22.
21. Lee HO, Kim J. Effects of elders’ oral health beliefs and oral health behaviors on their quality of life. J Dent Hyg Sci 2008;8(2):57-63.
22. Korean Statistical Information Service. Poverty rate table[Internet]. [cited 2017 Sep 4]. Avai-lable from: http://kosis.kr/statHtml/statHtml.do?orgId=101&tblId=DT_1HDLE01&conn_path=I2.
23. Lee EJ, Lee MO. Analysis on the effect of the dental health characteristics of adult on the status of recognition and practical application of dental hygiene devices. J Dent Hyg Sci 2010; 10(4):241-50.
24. Jung HJ, Jang AH, Kim HJ. A study on the general health status related hypertension and oral health status of rural elder. J Korea Academia-Industrial Cooperation Soc 2001;12(11):4852-60.
25. Hang JM. A study on relationship among the oral health knowledge, oral health behavior and oral health status of elderly people[Master’s thesis]. Seoul: Univ. Hanyang, 2006.
26. Ahn ES, Hwang JM, Shin MS. Dental utilization associated factors among elderly. J Dent Hyg Sci 2015;15(1):60-6.
27. Kang MJ, Seo HY, Choi YR. The convergence effect of oral behavior on oral health related quality of soldiers. J Korea Conver Soc 2017;8(9):151-9.
28. Woo SR. The effect of the health state of the oral cavity and the health-caring act on the oral cavity on the life quality concerning the health of the oral cavity of the senior[Doctoral disser-tation]. Daegu, Univ. of Daegu Haany, 2013.