Department of Dental Hygiene, Shin-han University1
Objectives: To provide necessary information for stable establishment of the national dental scaling reimbursement system. Methods: This study was conducted in 380 adults in their twenties or older for about one month from July 2017. The questionnaires were composed of general characteristics, recognition (awareness) of dental scaling, knowledge of the dental scaling reimbursement program, changes in perception before versus after introduction of the dental scaling reimbursement program, and interest in oral health. To investigate into any factors affecting changes of interest in oral health care after introduction of the dental scaling reimbursement program, a multiple regression analysis was performed. Results: The investigation into any factors affecting changes of interest in oral health care after introduction of the dental scaling reimbursement program showed that higher usual interest in oral health (p<0.001) and the consideration that the dental scaling charges have been affordable after introduction of the scaling reimbursement program (p<0.01) led to more changes in interest in oral health care. Conclusions: The above-mentioned results suggest that the dental scaling reimbursement program has brought favorable changes in the perception of dental scaling. It is expected that the said program will contribute significantly to the improved national oral health, and the Government should make constant efforts to develop it as a long-term policy for oral health improvement.
1. Lee BG, Lee JH. Recognition and satisfaction of dental care customers after 1 year national health insurance coverage of dental scaling. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2016;16(2):185-93. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2016.16.02.185
2. Kim BO, Kim SA, Kim YJ, Seo EJ, Shim HS, Yang JS, et al. Periodontology. 2nd ed. Seoul: Daehannarae; 2009: 47-9.
3. Yoon MM. A study on knowledge and perception of dental scaling of adult[Master’s thesis]. Seoul: Univ. of Hanyang, 2014.
4. Ju OJ, Kang EJ, Woo SH, Lee AJ, Lee HJ, Park MH. Recognition between layperson and den-tal hygienists on expansion of health insurance of scaling. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2014;14(3): 431-8. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2014.14.03.431
5. Statistics Korea, Korea Statistical Information System (KOSIS), Statistic DB, Dental exami-na-tion of his age group[Internet]. [cited 2015 Sep 03]. Available from: http:// kosis.kr/wnsearch/ totalSearch.jsp
6. ]Lee MS, Im HJ. The factors of oral health beliefs on scaling performance by national health insurance coverage in consumers. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2015;15(1):31-8. https://doi.org/10. 13065/jksdh.2015.15.01.31
7. Kang YJ, Jang GW, Jeong MK. Oral health attitudes and behaviors among clients receiving sca-ling. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2011;11(5):773-82.
8. Lee HS, Lee KH. Recognition about national health insurance of dental scaling in industry accident injury patients. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2013;13(4):561-8. https://doi.org/10.13065/ iksdh.2013.13.4.561
9. Lee MS, Lim HJ. The factors of oral health beliefs on scaling performance by national health insu-rance coverage in consumers. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2015;15(1):31-8. https://doi.org/10.13065/ jksdh.2015.15.01.31
10. Jung JY, Lim MH. Awareness and satisfaction toward health insurance coverage of scaling. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2015;15(6):1107-16. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2015.15.06.1107
11. Ministry of Health and Welfare. Press release of the insurance benefit division for ministry of health and welfare; even the scaling insurance application is made to age over 20 from July (Once a year). Seoul: Ministry of health and welfare; 2013.
12. Ha MY. A study on the changes in consumers’awareness and the rate of scaling in each region after its coverage by the national health insurance scheme[Master’s thesis]. Seoul: Univ. of Dan-kook, 2015.
13. Lee KH, Son JY, Lee HO, Shin SH, Jeon HJ, You HJ, et al. Factors affecting the recognition about scaling after health insurance benefit business for scaling by national health insurance corporation. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2017;17(3):355-68. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2017.17. 03.355
14. Gwon MY. Awareness on the addition of dental scaling to the coverage list of the national health insurance system. J Korean Soc Multicultur Health 2016;6(2):1-8.
15. Hwang JM, Kim JH, Park YD. Dental service providers satisfaction with dental health insu-rance. J Korean Acad Dent Health 2010;34(2):214-21.