Department of Dental Hygiene, Daejeon Health Institute of Technology1
Department of Dental Hygiene, Chodang University2
Objectives: This study aims to examine the factors that influence the organizational citizenship behavior of clinical dental hygienists to use them as basic data for improving effectiveness and efficiency of dental clinics and hospitals. Methods: A self-reported questionnaire was answered by 250 clinical dental hygienists in Seoul, Gyeonggi, Chungcheong, Jeolla and Gyeongsang province areas who were chosen using convenient sampling method from May 1st to June 30th of 2017. The data was analyzed using IBM SPSS/WIN 22.0 factor analysis on clinical dental hygienists’ organization citizenship behavior, organizational commitment, empowerment, self-leadership and job satisfaction. T-test and one-way ANOVA were performed for subjects’ general characteristics and organizational citizenship behavior, organizational commitment, empowerment, self-leadership and job satisfaction depending on their job characteristics. The mean comparison was drawn using the Scheffe test. Pearson’s correlation and multiple regression analysis were performed to examine the relation of clinical dental hygienists’ organizational citizenship behavior, organizational commitment, empowerment, self-leadership and job satisfaction Also, the significance level was set at 0.05. Results: Clinical dental hygienists’ organizational citizenship behavior was 3.84 points with organizational commitment of 3.27, empowerment of 3.41, self-leadership 3.45 and job satisfaction of 3.57. Factors that influence clinical dental hygienists’ organizational citizenship behavior appeared in the order of organizational commitment, job satisfaction, self-leadership, empowerment and job intensity, and the model’s explanation power was 45.6%. Conclusions: Clinical dental hygienists’ organizational citizenship behavior was correlated to career, organizational commitment, empowerment, self-leadership and job satisfaction, where organizational commitment had the biggest influence. Therefore, clinical dental hygienists organizational citizenship behavior needs further studies and investigtae more ways to promote factors that influence organizational citizenship behavior.
1. The National Institute of the Korean Language Standard Korean Dictionary[Internet]. [cited 2017 May 4]. Available from: http://stdweb2.korean.go.kr/search/List_dic.jsp.
2. Kim JM, Park HJ, Lee SH. The relationship between organizational socialization and orga-ni-za-tional; citizenship behavior among nurses in general hospitals. J Korean Clin Nurs Res 2012; 18(3):413-23.
3. Choi J, Ha NS. The relationship between organizational citizenship behavior and customer orien-tation on organizational justice in clinical nurses. J Korean Clin Nurs Res 2007;13(1):173-84.
4. Kim KN. The effect of organizational culture types of hospital and nursing experience on orga-nizational citizenship behaviors of nurses. KAIS 2013;14(11):5707-13.
5. Lim KM, Bae SW, Kim HS. The effects of self-leadership and self-efficacy on organi-za-tional effectiveness and organizational citizenship behavior in nurses. KSHSM 2013;7(3): 259-72. https://doi.org/10.12811/kshsm.2013.7.3.259
6. Kim KK. Suh CH, Joo HS. The impact of hotel employee job characteristic on organization com-mitment, job satisfaction, and citizenship behavior. KAABA 2006;19(2):469-88.
7. Park JH, Yun EK, Han SS. Factors influencing nurses’ organizational citizenship behavior. J Korean Acad Nurs 2009;39(4):499-507.
8. Park JM, Ko SH. Effects of self leadership on job engagement, trust in supervisors and change- oriented organizational citizenship behavior among flight attendants. KASTM 2016;31(2): 283-303.
9. Lee SH. The relationship between the personal and job characteristics on organizational citi-zenship behaviors in clinical nurses. Korean Acad Nurs Admin 2006;12(2):295-304.
10. Kim KK, Suh CH, Joo HS. The impact of hotel employee job characteristic on organization com-mitment, job satisfaction, and citizenship behavior.KAABA 2006;19(2):469-88.
11. Cohen J. Statistical power analysis for the behavioral sciences. 2nd ed. Hillsdale, NJ: Law-rence Erlbaum Associates; 1988: 407-14.
12. Niethoff BP, Moorman RH. Justice as a mediator of the relationship between methods of moni-toring and organizational citizenship behavior. Acad Manage J 1993;36(3):527-56. https:// doi.org/10.2307/256591
13. Kim YG, Kim HS, Kim, HC. The effects of communication, group cohesiveness and job satis-faction on organizational citizenship behavior in hotel industry. KHTA 2000;9(1):231-46.
14. Mowday RT, Steers RM, Porter LW. The management of organizational commitment. J Vocat Behav 1070;14(2):224-47. https://doi.org/10.1016/0001-8791(79)90072-1
15. Spreizter GM. Psychological empowerment at the workplace: dimensions, measurement, and validation. Acad Admin J 1995;38(5):1442-65.
16. Yom YH, Choi KS. The effects of psychological empowerment and transformational lea-der-ship on organizational commitment among hospital nurses. J Korean Acad Nurs 2005;11(3):1-8.
17. Manz CC, Sims HP Jr. Leading self-managed groups: a conceptual analysis of a paradox. Econ Ind Democracy 1986;7(2):141-65.
18. Houghton JD, Neck CP. The revised self-leadership questionnaire: Testing a hierarchical factor structure for self-leadership. J Manage Psychol 2002;17(8):672-91. https://doi. org/10.1108/02 683940210450484
19. Ha SB. A study on the antecedents and outcomes of subordinate’s self-leadership[Master’s thesis]. Seoul: Univ. of Seoul National, 2007.
20. Jung ES. Effects of clinical nurses job stress and emotional labor on job satisfaction[Master’s thesis]. Seoul: Univ. of Catholic, 2014.
21. Joo YS, Han SS. The effects of leader’s emotional intelligence and nurse’s own emotional intelligence on organizational commitment and organizational citizenship behavior. J Korean Acad Soc Nurs Edu 2013;19(2):194-202. https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2013.19.2.194
22. Kim MS. Influence of organizational justice and commitment organizational citizenship be-haviors of nurses. J Korean Acad Nurs Admin 2007;13(4):481-91.
23. Min HH, Jeon JH, Kim YS. Influencing factors of turnover intention in the clinical dental hygienists. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2015;15(5):831-9. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2015.15. 05.831
24. Kim MS, Park YB. The effects of self-efficacy and empowerment on perceived organi-za-tional support and organizational citizenship behaviors of nurses J Korean Acad Nurs Admin 2008;14(3):268-77.