Department of Preventive and Public Health Dentistry, College of Dentistry, Gangneung-Wonju National University, Research Institute of Oral Science, Gangneung-Wonju National University1
Department of Health Convergence, Ewha Womans University2
Department of Dental Hygiene, College of Health Science, Sun Moon University and Genome-based BioIT Convergence Institute3
Objectives: This study was to compare the self-evaluated outcomes of communication competency in dental hygiene process of care in the students of a dental hygiene department with the teaching evaluation, and to confirm the difference of communication competency by the evaluator. Methods: This study attempted to confirm the value and usefulness of self-evaluation and teaching evaluation on the communication competency. The subjects of this study were 43 junior students who took a course of dental medical communication at the dental hygiene department of a university located in ‘A’ city, and the self-evaluation and teaching evaluation were conducted using the evaluation paper which was modified from the communication evaluation tool in the previous studies. The collected data were subjected to the correspondence sample t-test to compare the difference between the communication competency self-evaluation before and after the education, and after communication education, while an independent sample T-test was conducted to compare the differences between the evaluators. Results: The student’s self-evaluations before and after the education showed the statistically significant difference, moreover, the post-education competency scores were improved mostly in all the items more than the pre-education competency scores. The score of self- evaluation was higher than that of the teaching evaluation in all items except one question in the case of history-information collection stage. Conclusions: It is confirmed that there is an effect to allow the students to improve their communication competency in the dental health communication education in the dental hygiene department. To evaluate the student’s communication competency, the mutual complement of self-evaluation and teaching evaluation should be confirmed in parallel each other.
1. Han HH. Diachronic analysis of communication education for medical students[Master’s thesis]. Seoul: Univ. of Catholic, 2009.
2. Lee YH, Lee YM, Park YG. Patients’ expectations of a good dentist: the views of com-mu-nication. Korean J Health Commun 2011;6(2):89-104.
3. Park EW. Development of medical communication subject in medical school curriculum. Ko-rean J Health Commun 2009;4(1):23-33.
4. Kim KM, Kim SI, Choi JS, Nam Kyung EJ, Choi YK, Park DY. Dental communication trai-ning courses in department of dental hygiene of Korea. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2017;17 (1):123-32. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2017.17.01.123
5. Kim DJ. Diversity of school curriculum theories and possible choices for Korea’s curriculum inquiries. J Curriculum Stud 2013;31(2):1-24.
6. Kim JH. Exploration an alternative paradigm for education quality factors in higher education: a case study on the analysis of freshman seminars professors’ written comments. J Korean Teacher Educ 2006;23(1):421-55.
7. Choi JS. Clinicians’ and educators’ perspective on required communication competency and edu-cation factors of dental hygienist[Doctoral dissertation]. Gangneung: Univ. of Gangneung- Wonju National, 2017.
8. Carey JA, Madill A, Manogue M. Communications skills in dental education: a systematic re-se-arch review. J Dent Educ 2010;14(2):69-78. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0579.2009.00586.x
9. Kim HS, Kim DI, Choi HN. The effect of repeated immediate self-evaluation of cognitive efficiency in self-regulated learning. Asian J Educ 2010;11(2):179-99.
10. Kim S, Lee SJ, Choi CJ, Hur YR. The Effectiveness of communication skills of pre-medical students. Korean J Med Educ 2006;18(2):171-82.
11. Choi YK, Shin BM, Son JH, Park DY. Effectiveness and learning experience of dental com-munication course training in dental hygiene schools. J Dent Hyg Sci 2016;16(2):134-41. https:// doi.org/10.17135/jdhs.2016.16.2.134
12. Theaker ED, Kay EJ, Gill S. Development and preliminary evaluation of an instrument de-signed to assess dental students’ communication skills. Br Dent J 2000;188(1):40-4. https://doi. org/10.1038/sj.bdj.4800382
13. Darby ML, Walsh MM. Chapter 1. The evolving profession of dental hygiene dental hygiene theory and practice. 2nd ed. USA: Elsevier; 2003: 3-30.
14. Kim KM. Development of an instrument to assess communication competency of Korean dental students at the first examination process[Doctoral dissertation]. Gangneung: Univ. of Gangneung-Wonju National, 2017.
15. Lee MR, Kwag YK. The effects of nursing communication curriculum. Asia-pacific J Multi-media Services Cover Art Humanities Sociology 2016;6(4):181-90. https://doi.org/10.14257/ AJMAHS.2016.04.06
16. Lee YM, Oh YJ, Ahn DS, Yoon SM. Implementing a communication skills course for under-graduate medical students. Korean J Med Educ 2007;19(2):171-5. https://doi.org/10.3946/kjme. 2007.19.2.171
17. Iikura A, Suh E. Comparison of teacher’s and students’ evaluations on OSCE performance among college nursing students. Perspect Nurs Sci 2014;11(2):153-61. https://doi.org/10.16952/ pns.2014.11.2.153
18. Choi YJ, Lee JY. Validation of competency self-assessment scale for career counseling per-for-mance. Korean J Counsel 2014;15(4):1475-93.
19. Ryan GJ, Marshall LL, Porter K, Jia HP. Professor and self-evaluation of class participation. Active Learning in Higher Education 2007;8(1):49-61.
20. Kim S. Lee SJ, Choi CJ, Hur YR. The effectiveness of communication skills of pre-medical students. Korean J Med Educ 2006;18(2):171-82.
21. NamKung J, Kim JH. The developing and validation of communication ability scale. Korean Soc Creat Edu 2010;10(1):85-109.
22. Park HA, Bae SW, Park JS. The likert scale attention points applied to research on attitude and interests on science education. J Korean Assoc Res Sci Educ 2014;34(4):385-91.