Department of Public Health, Graduate School of Hanyang University1
Department of Dentistry, College of Medicine, Hanyang University, College of Medicine2
Objectives: The purpose of the study was to investigate the effect of gender in the association between the oral symptoms experience and health behavior. Methods: The subjects were 54,219 adolescents selected from the web-based survey of the 11th (2015) Korean Youth Risk Behavior of Korean Center for Disease Control. Data were analyzed using SPSS 18.0. The subjects consisted of 27,198 male students(50.2%) and 27,021 female students(49.8%) from 400 middle schools and 400 high schools. Results: Multiple logistic regression analysis after adjustment to demographic characteristics and oral health behavior showed experience with drinking and smoking in adolescents increased oral symptoms experienced by both male and female students (OR = 1.3, 95% CI = 1.20-1.34 / OR =1.3, 95% CI = 1.18-1.33), (OR = 1.3, 95% CI = 1.24-1.40 / OR = 1.4, 95% CI = 1.43-1.30). But the difference was not significant between genders. In terms of diet, consumption of carbonated beverages, snacks and fast food saw an increase in oral symptoms experience both gender compared with those whose “No(weekly)” in particular to women, alternatively vegetable, fruit consumption(weekly) were having less intake adolescents increase oral symptoms experience than “time daily(weekly)” intake adolescents both boy and girl especially to girl. Conclusions: There was a correlation between oral symptom experiences and health behaviors. There was also slight differences between genders, with more effect shown on female students. Based on this study, proper and systematic education of oral health management should be carried out at schools.
1. Kim EA, Jeong YG, Kim, GS. A study on the relations of health promoting daily lifestyle and self-efficiency in boys' high. J Korean Soc Schl Hea Edu 2000;13(2):241-59.
2. Lee YM. Quality of life and It’s related factors among university students. Korean J Health Educ Promot 2007;24(2):77-91. https://doi.org/10.21896/jksmch.2007.11.2.127
3. Kum CA. An analysis of factors on health risk behaviors in early adolescents: focused on the inappropriate life habit. The Korean Association for Crisis and Emergency Management 2015; 7(1):1-24.
4. Park JH, Lee MJ, Goo HJ. Oral health-related quality of life according to oral health behavior and awareness of middle school students in some regions. J Kor Soc Dent Hyg 2013;13(2): 305-13. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2013.13.2.305
5. World Health Organization. Oral health[Internet].[cited 2016 November 10]. Available from: http://www.who.int/oral_health/en/
6. Sheiham A, Nicolau B. Evaluation of social and psychological factors in periodontal disease. Periodontology 2000;39(1):118-31. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0757.2005.00115.x
7. Lahti S, Sipila K, Taanila A, Laitinen J. Oral pain among adolescents in northern finland. Int J Circumpolar Health 2008;67:2-3. https://doi.org/10.3402/ijch.v67i2-3.18281
8. Woo HS, Shim YS. Correlation between high school students' experience of visiting the dental clinic and oral symptoms. J of Contents Association 2014;14(3):259-68. https://doi.org/10. 5392/jkca.2014.14.03.259
9. Park JH, Kim CS. Relationship between health behavior and oral symptoms in Korean adoles-cents. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2015;15(5):813-21. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2015.15.05.813
10. Do KY. Impact of health risk factors on the oral health of Korean adolescents: Korea youth risk behavior web-based survey, 2013. J Dent Hyg Sci 2016;16(3):193-9. https://doi.org/10.17135/ jdhs.2016.16.3.193
11. Kim MS, Park HS, Kim YS. Correlation between health behaviors and experiences of oral diseases in adolescents. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2015;15(3):513-21. https://doi.org/10.13065/ jksdh.2015.15.03.513
12. Kim MJ, Yang HJ, Lee SY. A comparative study on the oral health status and behavior of among adults. The Korean Society of Health and Welfare 2012;14(12):39-58. https://doi.org/ 10.23948/kshw.2012.12.14.39
13. Ministry of education, ministry of health and welfare. Korea centers for disease control and prevention. The tenth Korea youth risk behavior web-based survey. Sejong: Ministry of Health and Welfare; 2015.
14. Shin SJ, Ahn YS, Jung SH. The relation between dental health behaviors and socioeconomic status among Korean adolescents. J Korean Acad Dent Health 2008;32(2):223-30.
15. Hsieh HJ, Huang ST, Tsai CC, Hsiao SY. Toothbrushing habits and risk indicators of severe early childhood caries among aboriginal Taiwanese. Asia Pac J Public Health 2014;26(3): 238-47. https://doi.org/10.1177/1010539511430721
16. Ma JK, Cho MJ. Effect of health behaviors on oral health in Korean adolescents. J Korean Acad Dent Health 2016;40(2):100-4. https://doi.org/10.11149/jkaoh.2016.40.2.100
17. Kim JY. The significant caries (SiC) index of high school students in Ulsan city. J Dent Hyg 2006;6(1):19-22.
18. Bartlett R, Holditck-Davis D, Belyea M. Clusters of problem behaviors in adolescents. Res Nurs Health 2005;28:230-9. https://doi.org/10.1002/nur.20078
19. Broadbent JM, Thomson WM, Poulton R. Oral health biliefs in adolescence and oral health in young adulthood. J Dent Res 2006;185(4):339-43. https://doi.org/10.1177/154405910608500411
20. Lukacs JR. Gender differences in oral health in South Asia: metadata imply multifactorial biological and cultural causes. Am J Hum Biol 2011;23(3):398-411. https://doi.org/10.1002/ ajhb.21164
21. Denton M, Walters V. Gender differences in structural and behavioral determinants of health: an analysis of the social production of health. Soc Sci Med 1999;48(9):1221-35. https://doi. org/10.1016/s0277-9536(98)00421-3
22. Kim WK. Predictors of drinking behavior in Korean male and female youth. Korean J Woman Psychol 2014;19(3):191-210. https://doi.org/10.18205/kpa.2014.19.3.001
23. Jang BJ, Nam IS. Relationship between smoking, drinking and periodontal pocket formation of patient was visited atcollege scaling center. J Dent Hyg Sci 2010;10(2):117-22.
24. Bergstrom J, Eliasson S. Cigarette smoking and alveolar bone height in subjects with a high standard of oral hygiene. J Clin Periodontol 1987;14:466-9. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-051x. 1987.tb02253.x
25. Park JH, Lee EK, Cho MS. A survey on awareness and behavior on preventive method of dental caries in middle school students. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2012;12(4):7-14. https://doi. org/10.13065/jksdh.2012.12.4.707
26. Sung CJ. A comparative study of food habits and body satisfaction of middle school students according to clinical symptoms. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 2005;34(2):202-8. https://doi. org/10.3746/jkfn.2005.34.2.202
27. Jin BH, Moon HS, Paik DI, Kim JB. A study on the models predicting 6 year old children's DMFS increment in one year. J Korean Acad Dent Health 1992;16(2):429-51.
28. Jeong SH, Chung CO, Shim JS, Kim JS, Choi YH, Song KB. Public health dentistry: effect of food intake on dental caries among early adolescence: 1-year follow-up study. J Korean Acad Dent Health 2008;32(4):551-62.
29. Shimakawa T, Sorlie P, Carpenter MA. Dietary intake patterns and socio-demographic factors in the atherosclerosis risk and communities study. Preventive 1994;23(6):769-80. https://doi. org/10.1006/pmed.1994.1133