Department of Dental Hygiene, Cheongam College1
Objectives: The purpose of the study was to investigate the subjective oral health status, oral health promotion behaviors, and related factors in the university students in Jeonnam. Methods: A self-reported survey was completed by 480 university students in Jeonnam from June 1 to 15, 2016 based on convenience sampling. The questionnaires consisted of general characteristics of the subjects, subjective oral health status, and oral health promotion behaviors. The collected data were analyzed by frequency analysis, independent t-test, one-way ANOVA and multiple regression analysis among others. Results: The average of subjective oral health status was 3.36 and the oral health promotion behavior was 2.87. It was shown to have influence upon the oral health promotion behaviors in the more the use of oral care products, in the better the oral health condition, in the more dental visit experience, in the more you do not drink, and in the more experience in oral health education. Conclusions: To improve the oral health in the university students, interest, knowledge, attitudes, and behavior in the oral health should be changed through development of oral health education programs. Also, efforts to develop curriculum and establish the university policies will be necessary so as for the university students to have responsibility for general health care including oral health in the universities.
1. Locker D. Measuring oral health: a conceptual framework. Community Dent Health 1988;5 (1):3-18.
2. Watt RG. Strategies and approaches in oral disease prevention and health promotion. Bull World Health Organ 2005;83(9):711-8. https://doi.org/10.S0042-96862005000900018
3. Health insurance review & assessment service[Internet]. [cited 2016 Feb 24]. Available from: http://www.hira.or.kr/dummy.do?pgmid=HIRAA020041000000&cmsurl=/cms/inform/02/134 4830_27116.html&subject.
4. Ministry health welfare. 2015 Korea national health and nutrition examination survey. Seoul: Ministry health welfare; 2015: 61-3.
5. Lee HS, Kim GS. Oral health behavior of economically active women in chollabuck do republic of Korea: 2. oral preventive behavior. J Korean Acad Dent Health 1999;23(3):287-99.
6. Jeong GC, Lee HS, Kim SN. A study on the dental services utilization by application of the andersen model in students of some Korean university. J Korean Acad Dent Health 2003; 27(3):357-73.
7. Yarcheski A, Mahon NE. A causal model of positive health practices: The relationship bet-ween approach and replication. Nursing Research 1989;38(2):88-93.
8. Lee HY. Study on relation factors of oral health behaviors: based on health promotion model [Master’s thesis]. Seoul: Univ. of Yonsei, 2000.
9. Speake DL, Cowart ME, Pellet K. Health perceptions and lifestyles of the elderly. Res Nurs Health 1989;12(2):93-100.
10. Blot WJ, Mclaughlin JK, Winn DM, Austin DF, Greenberg RS, Preston-Martin S, et al. Smo-king and drinking in relation to oral and pharyngeal cancer. Cancer Res 1988;48(11):3282-7.
11. Papapanou PN. Periodontal diseases: epidemiology. Ann Periodontol 1996;1(1):1-36.
12. Chung S. Factors influencing problem drinking among female college students in Korea. Mental Health & Social Work 2007;27:176-98.
13. Song AH, Choi CH. Effect of commercial alcoholic drinks on sound enamel surface of bovine teeth. J Korean Acad Oral Health 2013;37(4):180-6.
14. Willershausen B, Callaway A, Azrak B, Schulz-Dobrick B. Prolonged in vitro exposure to white wines enhances the erosive damage on human permanent teeth compared with red wines. Nutr Res 2009;29(8):558-67. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nutres.2009.08.004
15. Ma DS, Lee BJ, Kim DK, Kim BI, Kim YS, Park DY, et al. Preventive dentistry. 1st ed. Seoul: DaehanNarae; 2016: 157-72.
16. Lee SM. A study on factors associated with the oral health promotion behaviors of college students. J Dent Hyg Sci 2006;6(3):187-92.
17. Lee JS, Lee HS. The oral health behavior and its related factor in Korean university students. J Korean Acad Dent Health 2004;28(3):331-46.
18. Ma DS, Lee BJ, Kim DK, Kim BI, Kim YS, Park DY, et al. Preventive dentistry. 1st ed. Seoul: Daehan Narae; 2016: 287-321.
19. Lee KH. Influential factors for the use of oral hygiene supplies in metropolitan area. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2013;13(6):951-9. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2013.13.06.951
20. Park IS, Jeong EJ. Influential factors for recognition and use of oral care supplies by oral prophylaxis practice lab visitors. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2017;17(1):133-44. https://doi. org/10.13065/jksdh.2017.17.01.133