Department of Dental Hygiene, Chunnam Techno University1
Objectives: This study aims to contribute to the prevention of dental diseases and health care in the elderly by investigating the relationship among the experiences of chronic diseases, dental health status, and the behaviors in the Korean elderly people. Methods: A total of 2,856 elderly people aged 65 or older were selected as the final analysis subjects using data from the 6th National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (2013-2014). Chronic diseases were defined as ‘cardiocerebrovascular diseases’, ‘diabetes’, ‘chronic respiratory diseases’, and ‘cancer’ diagnosed by the doctors. For the statistical analysis, SPSS 21.0 for Windows was used. Descriptive analysis and a Chi-square test were conducted to investigate the relationship among the experiences of chronic diseases, general characteristics, dental health status, and the behaviors in the Korean elderly. Finally, logistic regression analysis was performed to investigate the relationship among the experiences of chronic diseases, dental health status, and the behaviors. Results: The prevalence of Cardiocerebrovascular diseases was significantly higher in the 3-4 group of community periodontal index with the score of 1.36 (95% CI 1.03-1.00) than in the 0-2 group. The prevalence of Cardiocerebrovascular diseases was significantly higher in the group without dental examination during the past one year with the score of 1.29 (95% CI 1.00-1.66). The prevalence of diabetes was significantly higher in the uncomfortable speaking state group with the score 1.46 (95% CI 1.12-1.91). The prevalence of cancer was significantly higher in the partial denture needs group with the score 1.67 (95% CI 0.98-2.83). Conclusions: Regular dental examinations and dental health care for the elderly with chronic diseases showed that periodontal health and residual teeth could be maintained and managed. Therefore, continuous customized dental health services should be implemented for the elderly with chronic diseases.
1. Statistics Korea. Population projections for 2010-2060[Internet].[cited 2017 Aug30]. Available from: http://kostat.go.kr/portal/korea/kor_nw/2/2/6/index.board?bmode=read&aSeq=357935
2. Yoo TW. Current status and vision of e-care. J Korean Med Assoc 2002;45(1):41-5. https://doi. org/10.5124/jkma.2002.45.1.41
3. Korea health promotion foundation. National health plan 2020 in Korea[Internet].[cited 2017 Aug 30]. Available from: http://www.khealth.or.kr/hp2020/busi.do?pgNo=sub27
4. Won YS. The relationship of oral state and dietary habit to health condition among elderly people[Master’s thesis]. Seoul: Univ. of Yonsei, 2003.
5. Cho KH. Effects of oral health condition to the quality of life[Master’s thesis]. Daegu: Univ. of Daegu Haany, 2011.
6. Locker D, Matear D, Stephens M, Jokovic A. Oral health-related quality of life of a population of medically compromised elderly people. Community Dental Health 2002;19(2):90-7.
7. Desvarieux M, Demmer RT, Rundek T, Bonden-Albara B, Jacobs DR, Papapanou PN, et al. Relationship between periodontal disease, tooth loss, and carotid artery plaque: The oral infec-tions and vascular disease epidemiology study (INVEST). Stroke 2003;34(9):2120-5.
8. Taylor GW. Periodontal treatment and its effects on glycemic control: a review of the evidence. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral pathol Radiol Endod 1999;87(3):311-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/s1079- 2104(99)70214-3
9. Jin HJ, Kim HY. Relationship between impaired fasting glucose and periodontal health among adults. J Korea Acad Industr Coop Soc 2011;12(11):5034-42. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS. 2011.12.11.5034
10. Kim HD, Paik DM, Kho DH, Paik DI. Influence of cardiovascular related disease on perio-dontitis. J Korean Acad Dent Health 2006;30(1):46-55.
11. Korea centers for disease control and prevention. 2016 Chronic disease status and issue [Internet].[cited 2017 Dec 19]. Available from: http://cdc.go.kr/CDC/notice/CdcKrIntro0504. jsp?menuIds=HOME001-MNU1154-MNU0005-MNU2572-MNU0110&cid=70948
12. Korea centers for disease control and prevention. The 6th Korea national health and nutrition examination survey[Internet].[cited 2017 Aug 30]. Available from: http://knhanes.cdc.go.kr/ knhanes/sub03/sub03_01.do
13. Jorm AF, Korten AE, Jacomb PA. Projected increases in the number of dimentia case for 29 developed countries: application of a new method for making projection. Acta Psych Scan 1988;78(4):493-500.
14. Lee YH. Health status and health services utilization of older people and policy implications. Health-welfare Policy Forum 2012;192(10):40-51. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0447.1988. tb06372.x
15. Petersen PE. The world oral health report 2003: continuous improvement of oral health in the 21stcentury–he approach of the WHO global oral health programme. Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 2003;31:3-23. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.2003.com122.x
16. Hong SP, Park EY, Lee HK. Oral condition in cardiovascular disease patients. Yeungnam University Journal of Medicine 2007;24(2):598-605.
17. Yu YH, Chasman DI, Buring JE, Rose L, Ridker PM. Cardiovascular risks associated with incident and prevalent periodontal disease. J Clin Periodontol 2015;42(1):21-8.
18. Loesche WJ. Periodontal disease as a risk factor for heart disease. Compend Contin Educ Dent 1994;15(8):976-91.
19. Choi SH. The effect of intensive oral hygienic care in diabetic patients[Doctoral dissertation]. Daegu: Univ. of Yeungnam, 2007.
20. Kaur G, Holtfreter B, Rathmann W, Schwahn C, Wallaschofski H, Schipf S, et al. Association between type 1 and type 2 diabetes with periodontal disease and tooth loss. J Clin Periodontol 2009;36(9):765-74.
21. Han YJ, Han MA. Oral health and behavior by diabetic status: the fifth Korea national health and nutrition examination survey. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2016;16(2):233-40. https://doi.org/ 10.13065/jksdh.2016.16.02.233
22. Shin SJ, Chung WG, Ahn YS, Ma DS, Park DY, Jung SH. Association bet-ween socio- economic status and oral-related quality of life for elderly people. J Korean Acad Dent Health 2011;35(3):297-305.
23. Ha JE, Han GS, Kim NH, Jin BH, Kim HD, Paik DI, et al. The improvement of oral health related quality of life by the national senile prosthetic restoration program. J Korean Acad Dent Health 2009;33(2):227-34.
24. Korean statistical information service. Cause-eliminated life tables[Internet].[cited 2017 Aug 30]. Available from: http://kosis.kr/statisticsList/statisticsList_01List.jsp?vwcd=MT_ZTITLE& parmTabId=M_01_01#SubCont
25. Korean academy of orofacial pain and oral medicine. Oral medicine. 1st ed. Seoul: Shinhung International; 2010: 135-7.
26. Rankow R, Polayes I. Disease of the salivary glands. 1st ed. Philadelphia: WB Saunders Com-pany; 1976: 42.
27. Dudjak LA. Mouth care for mucositis due to radiation therapy. Cancer Nursing 1987;10(3): 131-40. https://doi.org/10.1097/00002820-198706000-00002
28. Graham KM, Peoraro DA, Ventura M, Meyer CC. Reducing the incidence of stomatitis using a quality assessment and improvement approach. Cancer Nursing 1993;16(2):117-22. https:// doi.org/10.1097/00002820-199304000-00006